PDA

View Full Version : Six in Six Parish Records project - findmypast

kiterunner
12-04-17, 15:51
Just seen this on FMP:

Our exciting Six Counties in Six Months project will see the online publication of vital parish records from six counties across England over the next six months.

They say that the six counties which will be added over the next six months are:
Wiltshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Nottinghamshire, Somerset, and Warwickshire, with the first one, Wiltshire, having already been added last week.

The Wiltshire records which they refer to are parish register transcriptions without images, so will the other counties be the same? Ancestry already has the images for Warwickshire and part of Somerset, and FMP already has a large database of Nottinghamshire transcriptions. I hope they are adding either images or transcriptions of the parishes which they are missing at the moment.

Sue from Southend
12-04-17, 16:05
Personally - I'm looking forward to Berkshire! Let's hope for images .....

Mary from Italy
12-04-17, 16:13
I'm looking forward to Warwickshire, because Ancestry's transcriptions are absolutely abysmal. Particularly for very old records I have to search on FamilySearch (whose Warks transcriptions are mostly very good) and then find the image on Ancestry.

ElizabethHerts
12-04-17, 16:36

Yes, Sue, that's the one I want too. I am completely stuck on my 3x-great-grandmother, and Berkshire Family History Society hadn't got a record of her either. I need to trawl through the images.

Lindsay
12-04-17, 17:38
I have my fingers crossed for Buckinghamshire images.

ElizabethHerts
12-04-17, 17:44
Lindsay, I want the Buckinghamshire ones too, but I already have a lot of the ones I need as I can visit easily.

Rick
12-04-17, 19:55

The County Archivist had a long-standing opposition to digitisation of the PRs. When he retired in 2015, he was succeeded by his deputy, who shared his views. When asked last year, he repeated that there were no plans to allow their digitisation. So my bet would be that FMP are publishing transcripts from Berks FHS.

ElizabethHerts
12-04-17, 20:02
The County Archivist had a long-standing opposition to digitisation of the PRs. When he retired in 2015, he was succeeded by his deputy, who shared his views. When asked last year, he repeated that there were no plans to allow their digitisation. So my bet would be that FMP are publishing transcripts from Berks FHS.

Well, that won't help me then! My 3x-great-grandmother Martha Franklin was supposedly born c. 1794 in Newbury, but the Berks. FHS couldn't find any record for her.

Lindsay
12-04-17, 20:27
The County Archivist had a long-standing opposition to digitisation of the PRs.

Do you know why? I'd have thought digitisation was a useful source of income.

ElizabethHerts
12-04-17, 20:35
I think Buckinghamshire has had to change its ways too. A few years back they did say to me that technology was a huge challenge to them.

anne fraser
12-04-17, 22:36
I hope they add to Somerset. There still seem to be quite a few parishes missing.

Rick
13-04-17, 12:24
Do you know why? I'd have thought digitisation was a useful source of income.

Not definitively. There was a discussion about this online a couple of years ago, but I don't remember where. From memory, the county archivist and the diocesan archivist are one and the same person and he objected to the LDS filming some PRs without permission. I can't vouch for the truth in that though.

Edit: Found it on Rootschat and there are some interesting new comments.....http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=748263.0

Lindsay
13-04-17, 16:30
Thanks, Rick, that's interesting.

I won't get too excited yet.

kiterunner
18-05-17, 22:32
It's Nottinghamshire this week, and they have added more records to their Nottinghamshire indexes, no images. Looks as though they have added some of the parishes which I need for my tree.

Mary from Italy
20-05-17, 00:38
I've just been having a look, and found some useful entries, but I wish they'd add the images.

kiterunner
20-05-17, 09:15
Mary, if you PM me with the details I can look them up at the archives for you. Though you still wouldn't get to see the images yourself, of course.

Mary from Italy
20-05-17, 21:09
That's very kind of you; I will ask you to do one look-up when you have time, because I suspect the name may have been mistranscribed, but it isn't urgent. FMP have two different versions; one taken from the BTs and one from what appears to be a marriage index.

Out of interest, is there an index of pre-1858 Notts wills and admons at the archive?

kiterunner
20-05-17, 22:15
That's very kind of you; I will ask you to do one look-up when you have time, because I suspect the name may have been mistranscribed, but it isn't urgent. FMP have two different versions; one taken from the BTs and one from what appears to be a marriage index.

Out of interest, is there an index of pre-1858 Notts wills and admons at the archive?

PM me the details and I'll look it up next time I go.

Yes, they have indexes of wills - and they have the actual wills on microfiche, apart from the ones which are held at the Borthwick institute. I assume they have admons too but I don't think I've looked at one there. If you want a will or admon looked up, give me the details and I'll do that too.

kiterunner
21-07-17, 08:39
Somerset has gone live, and it is transcriptions, no images.

Somerset Baptisms Index (http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/somerset-baptism-index)
Somerset Banns Index (http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/somerset-banns-index)
Somerset Marriage Index (http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-records/somerset-marriage-index)
Somerset Burial Index (http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/somerset-burial-index)

kiterunner
18-08-17, 08:27
Buckinghamshire this week, and again it is transcriptions, not images.

Buckinghamshire Baptism Index (http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/buckinghamshire-baptism-index?utm_source=fmp&utm_medium=email&utm_content=1034212-D-5-C&utm_campaign=fridays&utm_term=FMP-CAM-Fridays-18817-AU)
Buckinghamshire Banns Index (http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/buckinghamshire-banns-index?utm_source=fmp&utm_medium=email&utm_content=1034212-D-5-C&utm_campaign=fridays&utm_term=FMP-CAM-Fridays-18817-AU)
Buckinghamshire Marriage Index (http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-records/buckinghamshire-marriage-index?utm_source=fmp&utm_medium=email&utm_content=1034212-D-5-C&utm_campaign=fridays&utm_term=FMP-CAM-Fridays-18817-AU)
Buckinghamshire Burial Index (http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/buckinghamshire-burial-index?utm_source=fmp&utm_medium=email&utm_content=1034212-D-5-C&utm_campaign=fridays&utm_term=FMP-CAM-Fridays-18817-AU)

ElizabethHerts
18-08-17, 08:48
Great! I have started mopping up a few missing BMBs. There are still some of my marriages missing. I don't believe the transcriptions give comprehensive coverage of the early registers.

kiterunner
18-08-17, 09:06
I'm really confused now, as looking back through old threads on here, FMP already had a Buckinghamshire Marriage Index, released last December. I guess they have added some more records to it this time round?

ElizabethHerts
18-08-17, 09:11
Kate, I found one marriage I didn't find before for one set of 7x-great-grandparents, so I think they have added to it.

Asa
18-08-17, 15:16
Is it just me or are others finding brides' names on marriages only recorded in their married names?

ElizabethHerts
18-08-17, 15:25
I did wonder that because the one I found was Thomas Smith marrying Abigail Smith!

ElizabethHerts
18-08-17, 15:25
Also Thomas White marrying Hannah White.

Asa
18-08-17, 15:32
I think it's *all* the marriages, which is frustrating because I'm finding several I need but without the bride's surname

ElizabethHerts
18-08-17, 15:37
It's also pretty useless for marriages before 1700.

I have used the marriage index before at the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies as once a week they have someone from the FHS who does look-ups for you. They kept telling me it is complete but there are obviously gaps.

ElizabethHerts
18-08-17, 15:56
A lot of my brick walls still remain. At the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies a burial shows for Thomas Bailey at Grendon Underwood in 1767, but it doesn't appear in FMP.

kiterunner
18-08-17, 16:54
Is it just me or are others finding brides' names on marriages only recorded in their married names?

Yes, I found one of those this morning - the only marriage I've looked up on there so far. I went on FamilySearch to check what it should be and kept getting an error message but I managed to find it on ancestry's copy of FamilySearch's database and her surname was different. I assumed it was a one-off error but it seems not! The "Findmypast Fridays" blog doesn't allow comments any more, so I will have a look on Facebook to see whether they have been asked about it on there.

kiterunner
18-08-17, 17:06
FMP have been asked about this on Facebook and they said "We believe we have identified how to improve this record set and hope to implement this in due course."

Mary from Italy
18-08-17, 20:34
Translation: "we boobed, and we haven't worked out how to fix it yet".

ElizabethHerts
18-08-17, 20:55
I have asked them to be more specific about how long it will take.

Asa
19-08-17, 05:01
Oh, I'm pleased there are plans to sort it out. I've such a lot of promising leads. I tried family search but couldn't find any of the marriages I was after - am sure they must be there so will look again over the weekend. I've plenty of work to do with baptisms and burials but this has curtailed some of my leaping:)

Asa
21-08-17, 16:51
This issue seems to have been sorted - certainly in the records I've been looking at.

Mary from Italy
22-08-17, 14:07
Working OK for me too, now.

kiterunner
15-09-17, 08:50
As far as I know, we're still waiting for Berkshire and Warwickshire, but they have added Herefordshire PR transcriptions this week, although Herefordshire wasn't one of the six!

:confused:

Sue from Southend
15-09-17, 08:56
At the bottom of the email I received from FMP it says that they'll be releasing a variety of new records from counties in the south-east and south-west. Berkshire? Insert hopeful emoji.....

NickiP
15-09-17, 19:44
At the bottom of the email I received from FMP it says that they'll be releasing a variety of new records from counties in the south-east and south-west. Berkshire? Insert hopeful emoji.....

The cynical person that I am suspects these are only going to be yet another lot of transcripts. While they can be useful if complete, nothing beats seeing the originals.:rolleyes:

kiterunner
29-09-17, 08:03
It's Warwickshire this week and includes images.

Mary from Italy
01-10-17, 13:03
That's interesting; most of Warks is already on Ancestry, but some of the transcriptions are dreadful, especially of the older registers. Family Search's transcriptions are a lot more accurate, so I often start a search there and then look at the image on Ancestry, but FMP will be more convenient.

kiterunner
06-10-17, 08:24
They've added some records to their existing Berkshire indexes this week, so I suppose that's Berkshire done.

kiterunner
06-10-17, 12:37
I feel rather underwhelmed by the "six in six" event overall, as there are no images for most of the counties included, and some of them just had a bit added to existing indexes.

ElizabethHerts
06-10-17, 14:45
I'm disappointed too. The Berkshire records are the biggest let-down for me. I have been trying to track down my 3x-great-grandmother Martha Franklin for yonks, and Berkshire FHS told me they couldn't find her when I was at a FH fair. However, I really don't think the coverage is complete.

Browsable PRs would be my greatest help, I think.

Sue from Southend
06-10-17, 15:43
Definitely not complete. I need Newbury Baptisms in late 1700s but the transcriptions for Newbury seem to stop at the early 1600s.

We'll have to organise a GF trip to Reading, Elizabeth!

ElizabethHerts
06-10-17, 16:06
My daughter lives just outside Reading, Sue, so we are down every week. However, there is very little time for trips to the RO!!

Jenoco
06-10-17, 17:04
I'm disappointed too. The Berkshire records are the biggest let-down for me. I have been trying to track down my 3x-great-grandmother Martha Franklin for yonks, and Berkshire FHS told me they couldn't find her when I was at a FH fair. However, I really don't think the coverage is complete.

Browsable PRs would be my greatest help, I think.

I'm disappointed too. I'd love to find one of my 4xgreat grandfathers who got married in Streatley but wasn't baptised there. I've visited Berkshire RO a few times but never found him, and I doubt I'm likely to get there again. Being able to browse the parish records on line would be a big help.

ElizabethHerts
06-10-17, 17:45
We all seem to be experiencing similar problems. The chap from the FHS was rather miffed when I suggested that the coverage wasn't complete.

All I know is that my 3x-great-grandmother married at Lambourn in 1818 and is down on the 1851 census as having been born at Newbury, although I think that could well be the nearest town of any size.

Jenoco
07-10-17, 01:47
I have quite a lot of 'holes' in the Berkshire portion of my tree. Surely they didn't all miss seeing the inside of a church for baptism...

Kit
07-10-17, 02:24
I feel rather underwhelmed by the "six in six" event overall, as there are no images for most of the counties included, and some of them just had a bit added to existing indexes.

I prefer images to transcriptions so all these new records are sort of useless. Ancestry at least have images even if they don't release new records as quickly and the transcriptions can be bad.