PDA

View Full Version : Father has another child

Scott Taylor
09-04-17, 11:02
Hi
Just wondering if it's possible for someone to find out if you have a step brother or sister that you didn't know about in Australia. Can you find out this with BDMs
I believe a late uncle of mine had a Son and his daughter wants to find out. Can she find this out .
Cheers

kiterunner
09-04-17, 11:18
From what you say, the son would be her half-brother, not step-brother.

The online BDM indexes for Australia don't let you search for births within the last 100 years to protect living people's privacy. I would have thought she would be able to apply for a copy of her father's death certificate (even if he died too recently to come up on the online indexes) and that should give the names of his children in certain states or territories. Do you know where he died?

Scott Taylor
09-04-17, 11:29
Yes he died in Queensland in 1998. They only heard about it 2 weeks after their mother died. Their mothers cleaner/ friend told them . She said that their mother told her that after she passed away to tell them. She died after their father. They would like to know if they have a half brother.

kiterunner
09-04-17, 11:39
There is information on here about how to apply for a Queensland death certificate:
https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-deaths-marriages-and-divorces/birth-death-and-marriage-certificates/death-certificates/applying-for-a-death-certificate/

The death cert should give the names of his children.

Scott Taylor
09-04-17, 11:56
Thanks

Kit
10-04-17, 09:32
I doubt the death certificate would name the child as whoever registered the death would likely not have known about the other child.

Scott is this a possible child of B? Have you looked into her marriage and found her maiden name? I'm wondering if the child has her maiden name or is registered with her maiden name.

HarrysMum
10-04-17, 11:04
Scott......as said above, his death cert should have the names and ages of all his children, provided the informant knew about them.

I'm in Qld, so if you would like to private message me the details I can have a poke around for you.