PDA

View Full Version : Job Boulton and Chester Annuity

rainbowdragon
09-04-17, 03:31
Hello!

I am currently working on a stubborn brickwall and, as part of that, I am trying to prove or disprove that one Job Boulton of Bridgnorth, Shropshire, is the same man as Job Boulton of Droitwich, Worcestershire, the son of my brickwall ancestor (also named Job). If he is, I open up a number of leads (he was mentioned as the cousin of Mary Rudge of Feckenham and Evesham in her 1755 will).

He himself left a will in 1777 that, sadly, doesn't prove the identification. He left property in Shropshire and Worcestershire, and also two shares in what is termed the "Chester Anuity". I have no idea exactly what this was, and my google skills are failing me.

I am hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks!

ElizabethHerts
09-04-17, 06:45
Have you found a burial that matches the 1777 will? If so, where was it?
If you haven't got the burial, it would be helpful to find it.

rainbowdragon
09-04-17, 06:51
Not yet. The burials for Bridgnorth don't appear to be online and at the moment I haven't got the money to hire someone to look through the records for me.

I'll put it on my "to do list", though.

ElizabethHerts
09-04-17, 06:59
Where was the will proved and where was Job Boulton living when he wrote it?

Merry
09-04-17, 07:02
Is Job, son of Job, the one baptised in 1695 at Droitwich?

Then the son married widow Mary Green at Droitwich in 1722/23?

And the father was buried in 1729 at Droitwich?

Just so I know who we are talking about!

ElizabethHerts
09-04-17, 07:09
I was about to ask the same, Merry! There are some records on FMP.

rainbowdragon
09-04-17, 07:10
Yes, that's him.

Mary Green was a widow at the time she married Job (I only recently found this out: I have no idea of her maiden name or if she had any children by her previous marriage), and they had a daughter, Charlotte in 1724 (the last mention I have found of him in Worcestershire), who may have married a John Weaver in Dodderhill. However, she isn't mentioned in the 1777 will.

Joseph, one of Job's two sons did, however, name a daughter Charlotte.

The earliest mention of Job in Shropshire is when he is a witness to a document 22 Mar 1727/28.

The court was one of the Peculiar Courts (Royal Free Chapel of Bridgnorth) and he was, as far as I know, in Bridgnorth when he wrote it

Merry
09-04-17, 07:12
Assuming the entries I mentioned are the right ones, what happened to Job jr's dau Charlotte b 1724?

Merry
09-04-17, 07:12
lol cross-posted!

rainbowdragon
09-04-17, 07:19
Yes, I really need to follow up more on Charlotte.

If it is her, she married John Weaver in 1743 and had six children: John, Mary, Mary, Margaret, Nancy, and George, all baptised at Dodderhill.

I haven't found any definite information on burials for her and her husband, or marriages for her children, but I also haven't really looked for them: I only recently had another look at this brickwall, and with a common surname like Weaver it was easier to work on other lines.

Merry
09-04-17, 07:22
Joseph, one of Job's two sons

Do you have baptisms for these two sons or are they just in the 1777 will?

rainbowdragon
09-04-17, 07:31
Job married Joanna Turner, 1 April 1733, St Chad's, Shrewsbury, by license. I have contacted a genealogist by email a few days ago, asking for him to get a copy of the license, but I haven't received a reply yet.

I have these children for Job and Joanna, all from the IGI, and all in Shropshire

Mary, bap 19 Jul 1735, St Chad's, Shrewsbury
William, bap 1738, Market Drayton
Jemima, bap 25 Jul 1742, St Leonard's, Bridgnorth
Joseph, bap 13 Nov 1743, St Leonard's, Bridgnorth
Susanna, bap 12 May 1745, St Leonard's, Bridgnorth
Thomas, bap 8 Mar 1746/47, St Leonard's, Bridgnorth

Only Joseph, Thomas, and Susanna are mentioned in the will; the others may have died young. I'd have to hire a genealogist to confirm this, since the burials don't appear to be online. I also want to try and find the burials of Job's first wife and his daughter Charlotte.

ElizabethHerts
09-04-17, 07:40
Job married Joanna Turner, 1 April 1733, St Chad's, Shrewsbury, by license. I have contacted a genealogist by email a few days ago, asking for him to get a copy of the license, but I haven't received a reply yet.

Only Joseph, Thomas, and Susanna are mentioned in the will; the others may have died young. I'd have to hire a genealogist to confirm this, since the burials don't appear to be online. I also want to try and find the burials of Job's first wife and his daughter Charlotte.

Rainbowdragon, I would advise you against hiring a genealogist for the time being. Other people can help you free of charge, and all the marriage licences/allegations I have I either ordered direct from the Record Office myself or were available online. You will get a hefty bill that could be completely unnecessary.

rainbowdragon
09-04-17, 07:45
Thanks, I won't hire him for anything more than the license.

The genealogist only charges 10 pounds for a single document, and I can afford that for a once off. I contacted him because the record office mentioned needing references for any documents they send you, otherwise they may charge for a search and that would be more than the 10 pounds; I was worried just knowing the date wouldn't be enough.

Also, I am anxious to find out what it says (waiting stresses me out pretty badly at times), and I was thinking it would be quicker to hire someone to get it for me.

ElizabethHerts
09-04-17, 07:54
You can browse the registers for St Leonard, Bridgnorth on FindMyPast. This is the link for my search results for 1777 +/- 5 years.

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/results/world-records/shropshire-burials?yearofdeath=1777&yearofdeath_offset=5&place=bridgnorthutf002c%20st%20leonard&_page=3

No Job Boulton found so far.

rainbowdragon
09-04-17, 07:56
Thanks, I haven't got a subscription at the moment.

Oh, I forgot to mention: Bolton is a variant spelling of the surname.

ElizabethHerts
09-04-17, 07:57
Thanks, I haven't got a subscription at the moment.

Oh, I forgot to mention: Bolton is a variant spelling of the surname.

I always tick the variants box, Rainbowdragon, because you can miss so much otherwise!

rainbowdragon
09-04-17, 07:59
So, we have another mystery, where was Job buried?

ElizabethHerts
09-04-17, 08:06

I have these children for Job and Joanna, all from the IGI, and all in Shropshire

Mary, bap 19 Jul 1735, St Chad's, Shrewsbury
William, bap 1738, Market Drayton
Jemima, bap 25 Jul 1742, St Leonard's, Bridgnorth
Joseph, bap 13 Nov 1743, St Leonard's, Bridgnorth
Susanna, bap 12 May 1745, St Leonard's, Bridgnorth
Thomas, bap 8 Mar 1746/47, St Leonard's, Bridgnorth

Joseph's baptism + image available on FMP

Jemima was baptised on 26th July 1742, and on the same page it says "Jemima Daughter of Job & Johanna Boulton Buried ye 10 (August)."

rainbowdragon
09-04-17, 08:08
Joseph's baptism + image available on FMP

Jemima was baptised on 26th July 1742, and on the same page it says "Jemima Daughter of Job & Johanna Boulton Buried ye 10 (August)."

Oh, thanks. :)

And thanks to all of you for your help.

ElizabethHerts
09-04-17, 08:09
Susannah's and Thomas' baptisms are viewable too.

Merry
09-04-17, 08:09
So, we have another mystery, where was Job buried?

At St. Mary Magdalene, Bridgnorth?

Merry
09-04-17, 08:12
Oh, forget that - they are on fmp too.

rainbowdragon
09-04-17, 08:13
At St. Mary Magdalene, Bridgnorth?

You're probably right. I just had another look at the will, and saw that he was of that parish when he died. I saw that none of his children were baptised there and made an incorrect assumption. :o

Edit: well, that rules that out. :(

Merry
09-04-17, 08:14
What's the date the 1777 will was signed?

rainbowdragon
09-04-17, 08:16
It was signed 6 Mar 1777/78 and proved Nov 1777.

Also, I forgot to mention, he is termed Officer of Excise.

Merry
09-04-17, 08:18
I'm bothered that if this is the same Job as was bap in Droitwich, he's left nothing to the children of Charlotte (given you said she had several and assuming that's the same Charlotte!), even if he left nothing to her, possibly because she was dec'd.

It would be good if anything you get regarding the marriage to Joanna gives Job's marital status.

rainbowdragon
09-04-17, 08:22
Yes, that worries me too. I haven't found another baptism for a Charlotte Boulton in Worcestershire, but with patchy, incomplete, and missing records, not to mention not everything covered by the IGI, it wouldn't be surprising if there is one.

I'm looking forward to finding out what the marriage license shows. I'm hoping it at least shows his status.

ElizabethHerts
09-04-17, 08:22
As Merry says, we still haven't established that this Job in Bridgnorth is yours.

ElizabethHerts
09-04-17, 08:23
You've got to the stage where the IGI isn't enough. This is why the parish records on sites like FMP and Ancestry are so useful.

rainbowdragon
09-04-17, 08:25
I agree, to both statements. At the moment all I have is the fact that, whilst I haven't proven it, I also haven't disproven it.

And I need to save up for those subscriptions.

I had Ancestry up to a few months ago, but had to let to lapse due to lack of funds. Same with FMP.

ElizabethHerts
09-04-17, 08:41
If there is anything specific you need looking up, please do ask.

rainbowdragon
09-04-17, 08:42
I will, and thank you.

ElizabethHerts
09-04-17, 08:53

Ancestry has Job marrying Joanna Thomas and not Joanna Turner.

rainbowdragon
09-04-17, 09:06
Ancestry has Job marrying Joanna Thomas and not Joanna Turner.

Sorry, my mistake.

Turner is a surname on another brickwall of mine, and for some reason I keep getting them mixed in my mind. :o

kiterunner
09-04-17, 10:24

One of those dates must be wrong as 6 Mar 1777/8 would be after Nov 1777! In any case, the calendar had changed by then, so there was no Mar 1777/8, it would be one or the other.

Can I just point out that the IGI consisted of both "extracted" and "submitted" records, extracted ones being transcriptions from the PR's / BT's, and submitted ones taken from people's family trees. A lot of the "submitted" records were just guesses. Now FamilySearch has a separate search for family tree records and they have added a huge number of parish registers etc to their main search since the days of the IGI. So references to the IGI can be quite confusing nowadays - if it is a record which you have found on FamilySearch then best to say that. (And if you haven't searched on FamilySearch since the days of the IGI then have another look since there is so much more on there now!)

rainbowdragon
09-04-17, 10:37
One of those dates must be wrong as 6 Mar 1777/8 would be after Nov 1777! In any case, the calendar had changed by then, so there was no Mar 1777/8, it would be one or the other.

Can I just point out that the IGI consisted of both "extracted" and "submitted" records, extracted ones being transcriptions from the PR's / BT's, and submitted ones taken from people's family trees. A lot of the "submitted" records were just guesses. Now FamilySearch has a separate search for family tree records and they have added a huge number of parish registers etc to their main search since the days of the IGI. So references to the IGI can be quite confusing nowadays - if it is a record which you have found on FamilySearch then best to say that. (And if you haven't searched on FamilySearch since the days of the IGI then have another look since there is so much more on there now!)

Thanks for the correction, he wrote the will 7 March 1777

rainbowdragon
09-04-17, 23:44
Someone on another forum found this for me.

Chester Courant, 10 Feb 1795

CITY OF CHESTER ANNUITIES
Name of Annuitant - Richard Thomas
Names of the Lives - Joseph Boulton, Susannah Boulton
Where living on 24th of December 1794; or suspended for want of certificates- Bridgnorth, Shropshire

So, it looks like one of Joanna's relatives set it up, her father perhaps?

Assuming it is the same annuity, of course. It is interesting that it has Susanna under her maiden name. She was married to John Haslewood in 1768, so I'm guessing it was set up before she married.

rainbowdragon
10-04-17, 04:36
If there is anything specific you need looking up, please do ask.

Actually, could you look for a burial for Charlotte Boulton on FMP? And Mary Boulton before 1733?

If Charlotte died young, in Shropshire, that would explain her not being on the will, with the Charlotte Boulton who married John Weaver being another person.

Thanks. :)

Merry
10-04-17, 06:43
I think I already did that yesterday, but will have another look.

rainbowdragon
10-04-17, 06:44
Sorry, I must have missed that. And thank you. :)

ElizabethHerts
10-04-17, 06:54

That's interesting.

On the National Archives website can be found a Job Boulton in Devon who is an officer of duties:

Reference: QS/21/1724/18
Description:
Job Boulton of Powderham, officer of duties on salt and watchman; (at Exeter, Holy Trinity)
Date: 1724
Held by: Devon Archives and Local Studies Service (South West Heritage Trust), not available at The National Archives
Language: English

rainbowdragon
10-04-17, 06:57
That's interesting.

On the National Archives website can be found a Job Boulton in Devon who is an officer of duties:

Reference: QS/21/1724/18
Description:
Job Boulton of Powderham, officer of duties on salt and watchman; (at Exeter, Holy Trinity)
Date: 1724
Held by: Devon Archives and Local Studies Service (South West Heritage Trust), not available at The National Archives
Language: English

That is interesting, especially since Droitwich was a major producer of salt at the time. Could just be a coincidence, but I should check it out anyway, I think.

Merry
10-04-17, 06:58
I had another look for Mary and Charlotte anywhere in Shropshire, but didn't find anything.

rainbowdragon
10-04-17, 07:01
Thank you. I can't find a burial for a Charlotte Weaver in Worcestershire on FMP, so I'm wondering if she was widowed and then remarried.

ElizabethHerts
10-04-17, 07:03
That is interesting, especially since Droitwich was a major producer of salt at the time. Could just be a coincidence, but I should check it out anyway, I think.

I was thinking it is a coincidence, but thought I'd better post it for completeness.

rainbowdragon
10-04-17, 07:05
I was thinking it is a coincidence, but thought I'd better post it for completeness.

Thanks. Yeah, you're probably right.

rainbowdragon
18-04-17, 07:23
Hi guys! :)

No progress on Job Boulton of Bridgnorth as yet. I didn't get an email back from the genealogist so I've contacted the record office about getting a copy of the license.

I have made progress about Mary Rudge, though, via wills, Ancestry (I saved enough to get a UK subscription), and FamilySearch. I believe she was Mary Boulton, daughter of William and Mary, who firstly married John Carter, 1693 in Ipsley, secondly Mark Parker 1712 in Spernall, Warwickshire, and thirdly Edward Rudge.

I have good proof of the first two marriages (FamilySearch, the Spernall marriage images on Ancestry, and her father's will).

For the last, I have Mary Rudge's 1755 will: it mentions her cousin Simon Parker, who I have connected to a cousin of Mark's (it is through this connection that I found Mark Parker's marriage) and a ring with the initials M.P. on it.

I cannot find her marriage to Edward Rudge, however. Could someone check FindMyPast for me please? It would have happened after 1625, the year of Mark's death.

Thanks in advance

kiterunner
18-04-17, 07:55
Assuming you mean after 1725, could this be it?
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1624/31281_A102186-00007?pid=7912858&backurl=http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc%3DNKb18879%26_phstart%3DsuccessSour ce%26usePUBJs%3Dtrue%26gss%3Dangs-c%26new%3D1%26rank%3D1%26MS_AdvCB%3D1%26gsfn%3Dedw *%26gsfn_x%3D1%26gsln%3Drudge%26gsln_x%3D1%26msgdy %3D1727%26msgdy_x%3D1%26cpxt%3D1%26cp%3D11%26MSAV% 3D2%26MSV%3D0%26uidh%3Dvm5%26pcat%3D34%26h%3D79128 58%26recoff%3D9%252010%26dbid%3D1624%26indiv%3D1%2 6ml_rpos%3D2&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=NKb18879&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true

St Mildred, Poultry, City of London
An. Dom. 1727
Married
October fourth
Edwd Rudge of Evesham in the County of Worcester Batchelor and Mary Park of Callow Hill in ye same County, Widow.

rainbowdragon
18-04-17, 07:56
Yes, that's it! Thank you! :D

And, yes, I typoed the year. :o

rainbowdragon
20-04-17, 15:38
I got a reply back from Lichfield Record Office: the marriage license of Job Boulton and Joanna Thomas has not survived. :(

Any other ideas would be welcomed.