PDA

View Full Version : Dementia

albert73
03-03-17, 20:40
Dementia is an invisible illness so you are unable to see who suffers or not. This forum has, thanks to researchers, today brought to my attention some issues from the past that I had simply forgotten. In fact, I have today ordered a certificate of little use to me at a cost of £9.45.00 and this is not the first time that I have spent money on things I already have or are of no use.
I am 73-years-old now so suffer the early onset of dementia. This means I will forget something more often than not. Fortunately, the forum creates a record of answers to questions that can be accessed at later dates.
I recall my mother saying; ''Wait until you get old mate!''. Now I feel old enough to start learning from those who dig up answers to questions that I, a demented member, cannot deal with.

kiterunner
03-03-17, 21:49
You certainly aren't the first person to order a certificate that they don't need! There are plenty of people on here who have ordered a certificate only to find they already had it. And it is not unheard of for our members to start a new thread on a question about something for their family tree, only to be pointed to their thread on the very same subject from a few years ago!

HarrysMum
04-03-17, 00:06
Puts hand up to admit to both those things..... :)

albert73
04-03-17, 01:24
Puts hand up to admit to both those things..... :)

That's double-dementia!!!:confused:

Chris in Sussex
05-03-17, 01:32
Admits to being guilty of ordering the same 'wrong' death certificate twice:eek:

Chris

albert73
05-03-17, 02:18
Admits to being guilty of ordering the same 'wrong' death certificate twice:eek:

Chris

Slow down. Three strikes and you'll be out!!!!

albert73
08-03-17, 15:15
The forum has rekindled some memories of around 60-years ago.

I am going to a place where there is an oxygen chamber for treatment that might help my memory loss. It will cost me £15.00 per hour but is worthwhile I think.

Durham Lady
09-03-17, 10:25
I have quite a few wrong and doubled up certificates but hang on to them in case the name links into my tree at a later date.
There are sites where you can exchange or offer unwanted certificates. Here is one of them which is free to use.

http://www.certificate-exchange.co.uk/

albert73
09-03-17, 10:51
I have quite a few wrong and doubled up certificates but hang on to them in case the name links into my tree at a later date.
There are sites where you can exchange or offer unwanted certificates. Here is one of them which is free to use.

http://www.certificate-exchange.co.uk/

Are certificates of insanity worth anything?:confused:

Kit
12-03-17, 01:40
And it is not unheard of for our members to start a new thread on a question about something for their family tree, only to be pointed to their thread on the very same subject from a few years ago!

Guilty many times.

albert73
12-03-17, 06:44
I got John Lennon and Yoko Ono to put their signatures onto an album cover in 1969 at Lavenham. I later lent some LP albums to a neighbour and forgot that I had done so. That was the last I had ever seen of my LPs and the signatures. I had been around 25-years-old at the material time and well and truly into the business of being forgetful.

albert73
24-03-17, 20:38
I spent today thinking it to be Wednesday. In fact it is Friday. Early onset of dementia will cause many people to forget what day it is.

JessBow
24-03-17, 21:12
Albert, are you a member of the Alzheimer society chat forum?
its called 'talking point'

just thought it might be of interest to you

albert73
24-03-17, 21:34
Albert, are you a member of the Alzheimer society chat forum?
its called 'talking point'

just thought it might be of interest to you

No.

albert73
26-03-17, 11:47
I am going to get some extra memory preservation gas (oxygen) tomorrow. It costs £15.00 for one hour.

Mary from Italy
27-03-17, 13:01
I would check with your doctor before spending money on something that may not work.

albert73
27-03-17, 14:36
I would check with your doctor before spending money on something that may not work.

I didn't go. I have been virtually bedridden for nearly three years but the oxygen therapy is very helpful when I am able to travel to the centre.