PDA

View Full Version : London Blitz Map

Mary from Italy
21-02-17, 15:57
This site looks interesting for those who have ancestors in London: it shows the locations of where bombs dropped during the Blitz. There doesn't seem to be anything similar for other parts of the country as far as I know.

http://bombsight.org/#15/51.5050/-0.0900

Jill
21-02-17, 16:18
3 bombs in the very short road where the family business was which explains why there were only modern buildings when I visited a few years ago. Very useful, thankyou.

vita
23-02-17, 10:16
Very interesting, Mary - thanks so much. I was able to pick out the cause of the site I

used to play on in the 50s & another a little further up Hackney Rd that I passed on a

regular basis.

Plus, I've just finished an article in which I make reference to the Lincoln's Inn Fields

bomb in May 1941.

ElizabethHerts
23-02-17, 10:47
Very interesting. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to go out quite as far as Gidea Park (Romford district). OH's parents were living there and were away when "a flying bomb hit the front door" of the block of flats and destroyed their home.

I'm not sure where they were, probably Winchester.

A flying bomb suggests a doodle bug but we thought it was early on in the war, so perhaps the story has become confused.

Merry
23-02-17, 12:54
Can everyone else make the "Type street, location...." box work?

maggie_4_7
23-02-17, 13:11
Can everyone else make the "Type street, location...." box work?

I doesn't work for me.

Perhaps it depends which browser you use. I am using Firefox Mozilla.

vita
23-02-17, 13:50
Thought it was just me! Good to know it wasn't.