PDA

View Full Version : Hall Furlong, Gloucestershire?

kiterunner
18-02-17, 18:13
The will of Humfrye Chambers of Tresham, Gloucestershire, written 27 Jul 1577 and proved at the PPCC 3 May 1578 says "I give to my eldest sonne Robert Chambers my lande at Pokelchurche and my Lease at Haull Furlonge during his lyfe". Pokelchurche must be Pucklechurch, but can anybody figure out where Haull Furlonge was, please?

Mary from Italy
19-02-17, 00:01
Could it be Wall Furlong? The nearest place of that name I've found is in Shropshire,, though.

kiterunner
19-02-17, 09:01
It definitely says Haull Furlonge on the image but I suppose it could have been copied out wrong onto the PCC copy.

ElizabethHerts
19-02-17, 09:15
I searched for a while last night but I couldn't find anything, Kate. I looked on Genuki, Google Books etc but nothing turned up.

vita
19-02-17, 09:34
I looked too Kite, but wasn't able to find anything.

Olde Crone
19-02-17, 09:37
Wild guess - could it be a reference to his strip of land at ' the hall"?

As it is a lifetime lease, there should in theory be an ingoing and outgoing transfer. Although the location is unknown, you might be able to find the lease transfer in his son,s name.

And before anyone says Hall is an easy word to spell, I spent years looking for the location of a place called Toad Hole in the late 1500s. Turned out to be a phonetic rendering of " the old hall".

OC

vita
19-02-17, 09:38
Kite - just had another look. I suppose you've already seen the entries if you Google

'Tresham Hall Furlong?'

kiterunner
19-02-17, 10:44
Thanks for looking, everyone.

Kite - just had another look. I suppose you've already seen the entries if you Google

'Tresham Hall Furlong?'
Nothing comes up if I Google that except results which are missing "furlong" or are about Furlong Farm or The Furlongs. And Tresham Hall which comes up in results is not the same Tresham as it is in Northants, and the Tresham I'm looking at is in Gloucestershire. But I don't think Hall Furlong would have actually been in Tresham.

What did you find, please?

kiterunner
19-02-17, 10:47
Wild guess - could it be a reference to his strip of land at ' the hall"?

But what hall, though?

vita
19-02-17, 11:03
Thanks for looking, everyone.

Nothing comes up if I Google that except results which are missing "furlong" or are about Furlong Farm or The Furlongs. And Tresham Hall which comes up in results is not the same Tresham as it is in Northants, and the Tresham I'm looking at is in Gloucestershire. But I don't think Hall Furlong would have actually been in Tresham.

What did you find, please?

Lots of 'Furlong' this & 'Furlong' that for Tresham, Wotton under Edge, Glos.

Just a thought.

kiterunner
19-02-17, 11:18
Thanks, Vita.

anne fraser
19-02-17, 12:29
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-40258702.html I came across references to Furlong farm Tresham Wooten Under Edge. It seems as though the land round there was parceled into furlongs and I think it was probably the piece by the hall. The chambers family seemed to have lived in Pucklechurch a long time and there is a lot about them on local history web sites. Nowadays Pucklechurch is best known locally for its youth prison which housed among others Stephen Fry.

vita
19-02-17, 12:40
Yes, I saw that too Anne so thought I might actually be on to something.

anne fraser
19-02-17, 12:54
I live quite near Pucklechurch. It is a strange place with expensive executive homes, a prison and not much else. Wooten under Edge is much nicer, The edge being the Cotswold ridge.

kiterunner
19-02-17, 13:18
Thanks, Anne and Vita.

vita
19-02-17, 14:04
You're welcome, Kite - good to know I've been able to contribute something after all the

help I've had here.