PDA

View Full Version : PCC will missing from ancestry?

kiterunner
14-02-17, 17:40
TNA catalogue has:
Reference: PROB 11/156/220
Description: Will of John Chambers, Gentleman of Tresham, Gloucestershire
Date: 31 August 1629

I can't find this on ancestry although I found the will of his wife Elizabeth, proved 16 Feb 1629. Can someone please check that they can't find it either as I have been having trouble with the PCC will search?

Merry
14-02-17, 18:44
I looked at the wills proved Aug 1629 and they seemed to run up to the end of a film. I then searched for wills proved Sept 1629, Oct, Nov and Dec and there were none, so something has gone wrong - missing film or part film maybe?

kiterunner
14-02-17, 18:58
Thanks, Merry. I might pay up and get it from TNA. I think John Chambers is the uncle of my Humphrey Chambers 1599-1662. I looked at the will of an earlier Humphrey (Humfrye) proved 3 May 1578, of Tresham, who mentions his sons Robert, John, and Humfrye. I know that my Humphrey 1599-1662 was the son of Mr Robert Chambers who was the town clerk of Bath from 1583 onwards (and who collected Roman inscriptions!), and that his elder sister Katherine married Anthony Kingscote in 1607. Robert was buried at Alderley, Gloucestershire (I found reference to his monument there) and John Chambers married Elizabeth Poyntz at Alderley in 1593.

Elizabeth Chambers' will (widow of John Chambers) mentions "cousin Anthony Kingscott" and "Humphry Chambers my brother" so I think that John and this Humphry are two of the sons of the Humfrye who died in 1578, with Robert being the other brother. But I wanted to look at John's will to see whether it confirms this. There are a few daughters mentioned in the 1578 will though, so I should probably follow those up first to see whether any of them has a will on ancestry before paying out money!

HarrysMum
15-02-17, 07:57
Maybe ask if anyone has a sub to The Genealogist. It's probably there. I found a few missing from Ancestry. I no longer have a sub sadly, or I'd have a look.

Merry
15-02-17, 08:06
It does seem to be included in The Genealogist's database.

I search 'wills', '1629', 'John Chambers' and got two matches for PCC wills. A sub would tell you if either (or both!) are the right one. Sadly I don't have a sub either!

kiterunner
15-02-17, 08:41
As far as I know, The Genealogist doesn't let people use their subs to do lookups for others? I did have a Christmas catalogue with an offer of a free sub which I didn't use because I had another free sub on the go at that time, and now of course I can't find the catalogue. Maybe I actually threw it away! But the offer might have expired by now anyway.

Merry
15-02-17, 08:51
I hadn't looked recently, but you are right, they are still saying that, plus if you do a look up for someone else they say.

Those proven to be using our service to provide a look-up service to others will be liable to a charge of £5 per distinct name for which they have searched and £10 for each result viewed.

They also have this, which would be a very good reason for me to never have a sub!

Simultaneous access from multiple computers can cause suspension of your account.

I often have more than one computer doing lookups at the same time. They also say a membership is for one individual only. I wonder how many couples (etc) actually have two subs?!!

kiterunner
15-02-17, 10:15
I've bought the will from TNA, but it doesn't mention anyone who wasn't mentioned in Elizabeth's will.

Merry
15-02-17, 12:40
Oh well, never mind - at least it mentioned the same people!

kiterunner
15-02-17, 13:02
I'm disappointed to see that in the back of the Visitation of Gloucester 1623 it says that John Chambers of Tresson was "disclaymed to be" a gentleman. It would have been handy if his tree appeared in there!

Anthony Kingscott (or Kingscote) was Elizabeth's nephew as his mother was her sister Ann or Silvester Poyntz. The Visitation of Gloucester 1623 says that his wife was Catherin d of Robert Chambers of Bath, and as she died in 1664 that must be correct. Unfortunately it doesn't say "who by the way, was the brother of John Chambers"!

kiterunner
19-02-17, 22:33
I think the Robert who was Humphrey's son must be my Robert, given that my Robert was buried at Alderley, which is next to Tresham, so I am going to add Humphrey and his family to my tree.

kiterunner
20-02-17, 16:02
Of course, I've found the catalogue with the free sub to The Genealogist now, but it turns out it's one which auto-renews, so I have cancelled it as soon as I started it.
Edit - hmm, except the welcome email says it doesn't auto-renew! I do wish they would sort out their free subs as this is not the first time I have panicked over this. Glad to see that I do still have the free sub and it is just cancelled from the date when it was due to finish anyway.