PDA

View Full Version : Rev Harold Archibald Joseph LAWSON

KiwiChris
11-02-17, 03:47
According to the 1939 register, he was born 16 March 1874. He probably died Sept q 1968 Worthing, age 94.

He should be on the 1911 census as 1910 to 1913 he was curate of St Mary Reading, but I cannot find him.

Crockfords says he did a BA and MA in 1907 and was Marcon's Hall, which suggests that he possibly did not come from a moneyed background.

He was ordained in Canada in 1903 and left there about 1906 and spent the rest of his career in the UK, from about 1919 to 1954 he was in Abbotts Morton Worcester with a steadily dwindling congregation.

There are a number of newspaper reports I have found that mention him, and he seems to have been a prickly sort of character.

I have no idea where he was born and I need to try and find him some parents! My guess is that it is likely he was Canadian, but it is only a guess.

I have spent hours looking and now I need another pair of eyes please! Can anyone find anything more about him please??

Merry
11-02-17, 08:45
he seems to have been a prickly sort of character.

I was completely distracted, reading about his antics in Abbot's Morton and other places!

Did you find him in any passenger lists?

KiwiChris
11-02-17, 16:13
No, I only found him in 1939, his death, and the newspapers. I searched the Canadian 1901 census, thinking he shiould be there but no sign of anyone likely with that date of birth. Interesting character, there for so many years and down to a couple of parishioners!

CuriousKat
16-02-17, 08:57
Sounds silly, have you thought about asking the church if they had a rectory or similar in 1911, it may be a way to check an address & see who is living there?

Anstey Nomad
16-02-17, 13:00
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-148288-the-old-rectory-abbots-morton-worcesters#.WKWyCG-LRt8

kiterunner
16-02-17, 13:11
That wouldn't be the rectory for St Mary Reading.

Anstey Nomad
16-02-17, 14:05
Indeed it wouldn't. It's Abbots Morton and it looks lovely!

Contact details for St Mary's, Reading here:

http://www.stmaryscastlestreet.org.uk/contactus.htm

KiwiChris
16-02-17, 19:48
By 1939, for some reason, it appears that he was not living in the Rectory. There is a newspaper report which says he was living in the school house with oil and paraffin the only means of cooking and lighting, and no water supply.

It was a report of him being prepared to go to jail than pay legal cost for an action he had brought for control of some parish funds.
There certainly was a clergy house when he went there, but why he was no longer living there, I cannot work out.

1921 when he went to an Anglo-Catholic congress in Oxford, he gave his address as Inkberrow
1941 his phone number was Inkberrow, I don't know if that is because he was living there, or that was the local telephone exchange that also covered Abbots Morton.

Maybe he never lived in the rectory.

Merry
17-02-17, 06:53
He should be on the 1911 census as 1910 to 1913 he was curate of St Mary Reading, but I cannot find him.

Should you decide to contact St Mary's about Harold, bear in mind there are two St Mary's churches in Reading! There's The Minster Church of St Mary the Virgin and also St Mary's, Castle St, Reading. The former is the parish church.