PDA

View Full Version : Any bright ideas about this registration issue:

Merry
09-02-17, 12:26
I first saw this reg on FreeBMD:

Births Sep 1864
PEMBLETON Elizabeth Ann Auckland 10a 215

I wanted to know who the mother was, but the entry doesn't seem to appear on the GRO site.

The entry is listed on the FreeBMD image and is also on FMP (and Ancestry, but presumably they got the entry from FreeBMD).

The entry does not appear on the Durham BMD site (https://gro.durham.gov.uk/pgPublicSearch.aspx), though other registrations for Auckland in 1864 do appear.

I cannot find the child on the 1871 census or a death reg for her.

She appears on one Ancestry tree with parents Thomas Pembleton and Selina Humber. I don't see how she can be theirs as, firstly Selina was married to Thomas's brother at this date, but more importantly, Selina appears to have had other children registered 1863 Q3 and 1864 Q4.

A potentially connected observation is that Selina did have a child or children with her first husband, George Pembleton, named Elizabeth Ann. The first(?) was baptised at Shotley Bridge, Durham in Jan 1860 (transcript only), but doesn't seem to have been registered. The second(?) Elizabeth Ann was registered for birth in 1861 Q3 in Durham District and appears aged 9 in 1871 with Selina and her second husband, Thomas Pembleton. I can't find a death reg for the first Elizabeth Ann and, as far as I can see, she does not appear on the 1861 census.

So, any ideas/comments?!!

Olde Crone
09-02-17, 12:41
My immediate ( but not necessarily useful) thought is that it is one of those suppressed entries we have sometimes heard about. Given that the new index is an up-to-date state of events compared to the historic indexes which couldn't be updated, perhaps this was deemed a false entry and has thus been suppressed.

I have read that there were " some" false birth and death registrations before 1875, presumably for financial gain, such as an insurance payout. Indeed, it was pressure from Insurance companies and Benevolent societies which tightened up registrations of births and deaths in 1876.

OC

Merry
09-02-17, 13:07
Very interesting, OC.

In post 48 on this thread:

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?p=331890#post331890

I've listed most of the children of Selina and George or Thomas and, whilst most of the children died, I was surprised at just how many they had (or appeared to have) in a fairly short time frame. I just imagined Selina was pretty fertile especially when she was not breastfeeding a new baby who has sadly died, but now you have me wondering.....

They moved to Australia in 1876.

Merry
09-02-17, 13:14
There are baptisms for a few of the children, so those must have existed. (though of course it would have been possible to take someone else's child to a baptism if you were really brazen!)

kiterunner
09-02-17, 13:46
The Durham BMD site isn't very helpful, but if you search on there for the other birth regs with the same GRO refs as Elizabeth, some of them come up and some don't. Strange.
Edit - Catherine Rawles was one of those who didn't come up but she turned out to be down as Rawley.

ElizabethHerts
09-02-17, 14:27
I tried on Durham Records Online and couldn't find her either.

http://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/NewSearch.php

Merry
09-02-17, 15:35
Thanks Kate

Elizabeth, I was using that site only yesterday, but by today I'd forgotten all about it! :o

JayG
09-02-17, 18:50
There's an Elizabeth A PEMBRIDGE 1864 on Durham BMD.

Not checked freebmd/ancestry yet.

JayG
09-02-17, 18:54
That entry appears on the new GRO index

PEMBRIDGE, ELIZABETH ANN MMN MORGANS Order
GRO Reference: 1864 S Quarter in AUCKLAND Volume 10A Page 215

Merry
09-02-17, 19:00
Oh, brilliant! Well done Jay :)

So, I'm not interested in her after all then!

Thanks again.....