PDA

View Full Version : Isabella Pembleton of Co Durham

tenterfieldjulie
07-02-17, 10:47
My friend Deb's great grandmother was Isabella Pembleton, who lead a very complicated life in Australia. However, it is her life before she arrived in Rockhampton Qld, as an assisted migrant on the "Scottish Hero," on 28 November 1876, that I am interested in finding more about.
Migration records I located a few years ago, (I had access to Ancestry and sub to FMP,) so it is possible I found some of the information there.
The Pembleton family who migrated to Qld consisted of William 39 Catherine 16 and Isabella 13 Thomas 29 Selina 29 (died on voyage) and Mary 1.
When Isabella died in 1947, her parents were named as William Pembleton and Anne McGregor. Apparently when she married at 16 she named her father as William Pembleton too. So there are at least 3 records where her father is named as William, but this conflicts with her baptism record.
According to Family Search, Isabella Pembleton was baptised at Tanfield in Co Durham on 4 December 1864, (born 21 Aug,) her parents James Pembleton and Annie.
I would really appreciate help with the Pembleton of County Durham.
I am very rusty with research at the moment and have not been able to find them in the 1871 Census, or find a marriage of Isabella's parents, hopefully it isn't as complicated as her marriage/s.:eek:
I made an early note of Greenside Ryton Woodside and her birth registered at Gateshead. There is also an Isabella Pemberton, born at Gateshead in 1864, who is a different person.
It would be lovely to take Deb to visit where the Pembletons lived. Not as good as finding a grave, but something special. Daphne and I stayed in the area in 2014 not knowing the connection.
In Australia Isabella gave birth to 10 children, 4 from her first marriage to Mulligan and 6 from Pettiford. Nine of them took the name Pettiford, apart from the 4th child, a daughter, who was married as Mulligan.
Isabella became known as the respected Nurse Pettiford, when she was a midwife for many years in the Stanthorpe district.
Thanks Julie

ElizabethHerts
07-02-17, 11:15
Julie, how can you be sure that the Isabella baptised at Tanfield is the correct one?
Do you know what county they came from?

Merry
07-02-17, 12:19
The birth reg for Isabella in Gateshead District Q3 1864 has mmn McGregor.

tenterfieldjulie
07-02-17, 12:21
Hi Liza, I have a feeling that it was on their assisted passage records. It is awhile since I did this research and I stupidly didn't write sources down. I have a feeling that there was a interview with Isabella and her sister on Trove (they hadn't seen each other for years) and it might have been on that too. I have a feeling that there could be a copy of her marriage cert on Ancestry too attached to someone's tree. She married at St. George in Qld on 23 Nov 1880 at 16 years of age to Robert Mulligan.

ElizabethHerts
07-02-17, 12:22
The birth reg for Isabella in Gateshead District Q3 1864 has mmn McGregor.

I've just found that, Merry!
That's very helpful.

ElizabethHerts
07-02-17, 12:25
PEMBLETON, CATHERINE MCGREGOR
GRO Reference: 1862 S Quarter in DURHAM Volume 10A Page 223

PEMBLETON, WILLIAM MCGREGOR
GRO Reference: 1860 D Quarter in GATESHEAD Volume 10A Page 499

tenterfieldjulie
07-02-17, 12:26
Thanks Merry that confirms the parents names which are on her death cert as above. The Qld indexes put mother's maiden name, but not the place, the NSW indexes put place, but not mother's maiden name. So I am sure we have the correct Isabella Pembleton. It is just why is he called James on her baptism and William everywhere else. Can anyone see the original register record from Tanfield and the father's name?

tenterfieldjulie
07-02-17, 12:28
Oh Liza that is sad, two children's deaths before Isabella was born.

ElizabethHerts
07-02-17, 12:31
PEMBLETON, ISABELLA MCGREGOR Order
GRO Reference: 1864 S Quarter in GATESHEAD Volume 10A Page 668

PEMBLETON, GEORGE MCGREGOR
GRO Reference: 1866 D Quarter in AUCKLAND Volume 10A Page 181

Merry
07-02-17, 12:33
I don't have time to type this out now, but 1871 has parents Wm, and Susan and 1861 has James and Ann. Ann from Scotland, Susan from Norfolk so new wife? James and Wm different details, but age the same. First two children who are on both censuses match up exactly with age and birthplace.

ElizabethHerts
07-02-17, 12:34
Oh Liza that is sad, two children's deaths before Isabella was born.

They are births that I have entered, Julie.

Merry
07-02-17, 12:48
Oh, I'm back already, so will type up those censuses.....

Merry
07-02-17, 13:01

Wrekenton Gateshead:

James Pembleton head m 28 coal miner born Notingham (sic) Headenley (?? where? lol)
Ann Pembleton wife m 20 b Scotland
Ann Pembleton dau 3 b Durham South Shields
William Pembleton son 6 months b Durham Wrekenton

Queen Street, Amble, Northemberland:

William Pemberton head m 38 coal miner b Durham S Shields
Susan Pemberton wife m 32 b Norfolk Happisburgh
Ann Pemberton dau 12 b Durham South Shields
William Pemberton son 11 b Durham Wrekenton
Catherine Pemberton dau 8 b Durham Tan????
Isabella Pemberton dau 6 b Durham Greenside

Merry
07-02-17, 13:10
Family Search:

Marriage:

Name William Pembleton
Spouse's Name Ann Macgregor
Event Date 20 Feb 1857
Event Place Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

Merry
07-02-17, 13:14
This must be Ann McGregor:

Deaths Dec 1866 PEMBLETON Ann 27 Auckland 10a 119

tenterfieldjulie
07-02-17, 13:15
Wow Merry you have been busy and you found the Census and the marriage. Brilliant.
I think the place you have question marks for Catherine, could be Tanfield because that is where Isabella was baptised. It is near Gateshead.

Merry
07-02-17, 13:17
Second marriage?

Marriages Dec 1870
NICHOLS Phoebe Susannah S Shields 10a 898
PEMBLETON William South Shields 10a 898

EDIT: Yes that's def Susan as she is already in Amble in 1851 with her parents with surname Nicholls b Happisburgh.

tenterfieldjulie
07-02-17, 13:17
That makes sense to find Ann's death, but it is very confusing with James and William. Maybe his second wife didn't like James and turned him into William?

Merry
07-02-17, 13:22
I think the place you have question marks for Catherine, could be Tanfield because that is where Isabella was baptised. It is near Gateshead.

I put ??? because I didn't want you to think I had actually read Tanfield! At a quick glance it looks like Tanbobi!

tenterfieldjulie
07-02-17, 13:24
This is part of the article I was referring to but it isn't totally accurate.
Courier-Mail 18 April 1934
SISTERS MEET AFTER FIFTY YEARS NOW HAVE 98 GRAND CHILDREN

“Two sisters from opposite ends of Queensland have met after 50 years' separation, and declared that they would have known each other anywhere. They were Mrs. William Ross,of 105 Mulgrave Street, Herberton, and Nurse I. Pettiford, of Third Avenue, Sandgate.

They came to Queensland with their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Pembleton, in the Scottish Hero, in 1876, landing at Rockhampton. They were then young girls.

Mrs. Ross was married a few years after they landed, and shortly afterwards the family moved to St. George, where Nurse Pettiford was married. The two sisters parted after the wedding at St. George, Mrs. Ross going to live in North Queensland and Mrs. Pettiford at Stanthorpe.

After her husband's death Mrs. Pettiford opened a nursing establishment at Stanthorpe, and conducted it until 1932, when she retired to Sandgate. Mrs. Ross remained in North Queensland. Her husband died about a year ago.”

Merry
07-02-17, 13:24
So far he's William everywhere except for the 1861 census.

I wonder why he also said he was born in Nottinghamshire in 1861? lol Was he on the run?

Merry
07-02-17, 13:31
Ah, In 1851 William is aged 19 living with his uncle and aunt in Mansfield in Nottinghamshire. His uncle was born in Edingley Notts, which is probably what Wm/James was thinking of in 1861!!

tenterfieldjulie
07-02-17, 13:32
Deb will be thrilled to find she has Scottish Ancestry too .. she is a hybrid like me.
So far, like most Aussies, I have found English, (nearly all over, although not from Cornwall), Irish, Welsh, Scottish, German, and some sort of Scandanavian heritage with names like Hansen, Nilson, Christiansen .. oh that is a nightmare to research lol
You are very kind Merry before tonight I wouldn't have known Tanfield lol. I must go to bed as it is now 1.38 am. Many thanks you have been brilliant as you always are.

Merry
07-02-17, 13:35
Thomas 29 Selina 29 (died on voyage) and Mary 1

Do you know how these three are related to Wm?

tenterfieldjulie
07-02-17, 13:36
He is also James when Isabella is baptised. It is very curious.

Merry
07-02-17, 13:37
Sorry, I forgot you should be asleep! Tomorrow is another day!

tenterfieldjulie
07-02-17, 13:40
I am not sure, I don't think I have seen the original assisted migration documents. Usually with assisted migration it gives quite a bit of detail. William/James and Thomas could have been brothers or cousins. It isn't a very common name and migrating together suggests a kinship but not proven.

tenterfieldjulie
07-02-17, 13:40
Night Merry .. I was going 2 hours ago lol

ElizabethHerts
07-02-17, 13:59
Get some rest, Julie!
I'm keeping my eye on this but I should be doing other things!

Merry
07-02-17, 14:22
This is the right Thomas with wife Selina nee Humber as Humber is the mmn for John Thomas and also for Mary Ellen b 1875 who was on the ship with the family.

1871 census

Wrekenton Row

Thomas Pembleton head m 28 coal miner b Leicestershire, F?????field
Selina wife m wife m 28 b Leicestershire, ??????den
John Thomas Pembleton son 3 months b Northumberland Newcastle
Henry Houmber (presumably Humber?) nephew unm 18 coal miner b Leicestershire Loughborough

Merry
07-02-17, 16:01
I think William and Thomas may be first cousins. I also think Thomas wasn't born in Leicestershire!

here's the 1851 census I mentioned earlier but didn't post. The nephew Wm is the one who married Ann McGregor and Thomas aged 10 is Thomas who was 28 in 1871!

1851 census:

West Gate Mansfield Nottinghamshire

William Pembleton head m 46 ag lab born Nottinghamshire Edingley
Ann Pembleton wife m 43 b Derbyshire S???ton
Sarah Pembleton dau unm 17 b Nottinghamshire Edingley
Thomas Pembleton son 10 scholar b ditto
Mary Pembleton dau 6 scholar b ditto
Ann Pembleton dau 3 b ditto
William Pembleton nephew unm 19 rail labourer b Durham North Hetton
Samuel Stone visitor unm 28 rail labourer b Derbyshire Derby
George Haywood visitor unm 19 rail labourer b Notts E????

I can't find Wm jr in 1841 possibly with his parents, so if you need them you would probably have to get his marriage cert (would his father's name be on the Scottish one? I don't know, but it should be on the one to Phoebe Susannah).

Merry
07-02-17, 16:15
A lot of online trees have William's parents as the people who were recorded in 1851 as his uncle and aunt. That's William Pembleton and Ann nee Waterall. I got her surname from the registration of the birth of one of their children. Those trees who don't have this couple as Wm's parents have no one!

I said I couldn't see Wm in 1841 but I think he may be with his aunt and uncle then too in Edingley:

Name Age
William Pendleton 35 Ag lab
Ann Pendleton 35
Elizabeth Pendleton 11
William Pendleton 9
Sarah Pendleton 6
George Pendleton 3

unless they had a son Wm too! The whole family are listed as born in Nottinghamshire which would be wrong for William if he's the nephew, but loads of the 1841 records are incorrect in that respect.

tenterfieldjulie
07-02-17, 19:55
Many thanks Merry for all your great detective work. What a great pleasure it is to turn the computer on this morning and it has even cooled down and I don't need the ceiling fan at 8 am in the morning lol.
I am going to have a look at William's death index here and see who it says for his parents.
OK so William Pembleton died in Qld in 1905, his parents recorded as William Pembleton and Annie Waterball?
two years later, William Pembleton the son died in Qld in 1907, his parents recorded as William Pembleton and Ann McGregor.
Maybe William who died in 1905 was known briefly as James to differentiate him from his father also William. Lots of Williams and Anns.

Merry
07-02-17, 20:29
OK so William Pembleton died in Qld in 1905, his parents recorded as William Pembleton and Annie Waterball?

Hmmm....so this is the couple who said they were his uncle and aunt in 1851. I can't think why they would say that if they were his parents, plus they listed him after their children.

Perhaps he was the illegitimate child of a sister or other relative of Wm senr and so brought up by Wm and Ann?

tenterfieldjulie
07-02-17, 21:27
????

tenterfieldjulie
07-02-17, 22:08
Looking at what has been discovered, it appears that Ann, nee McGregor, died from complications from the birth of George. George died between Dec Q 1866 and the 1871 Census.
The 2nd wife Susan nee Nichols also died between 1871 and 1876 when they migrated.
When the family migrated, the two older children stayed behind, but at some stage William, the son, also came to Australia as he died here.

From the Census it appears in 1841 William aged 9 was living in Edginley, Notts.
In 1851 William named as nephew 19, living in Mansfield, Notts. born North Hetton, Durham
In 1861 James (William) 28, married to Ann, living Wrekenton, Durham, born Headenley?, Notts
In 1871 William 38, married Susan, living Amble, Northumberland, born South Shields, Durham.
I am thinking that there are usually details on the assisted passage records. Usually ages are put up and down to qualify, but mostly other details are correct. It might be a key.

When I put what Merry has found on the Census it is interesting how the name is interpreted -

1841 Pendleton, 1851 Pembleton, 1861 Pembleton, 1871 Pemberton and Pembleton .. help Merry.

Mary from Italy
07-02-17, 23:08
1871 census

Wrekenton Row

Thomas Pembleton head m 28 coal miner b Leicestershire, F?????field
Selina wife m wife m 28 b Leicestershire, ??????den
John Thomas Pembleton son 3 months b Northumberland Newcastle
Henry Houmber (presumably Humber?) nephew unm 18 coal miner b Leicestershire Loughborough

Thomas's birthplace looks like Farnsfield, which is in Nottinghamshire,

Selina's is Quorndon (now Quorn), Leicestershire.

Mary from Italy
07-02-17, 23:12
This is Thomas and Selina's marriage (Barrow-on-Soar RD includes Quorn);

Marriages Dec 1866
Antill Thomas Barrow 7a 396
Barrowcliff Emma Barrow 7a 396
>> Humber Selina Barrow 7a 396
>> PEMBLETON Thomas Barrow 7a 396

Mary from Italy
07-02-17, 23:18
Leicestershire PRs went online a few days ago, but I can't find the marriage. Maybe it was at a Register Office.

tenterfieldjulie
08-02-17, 05:30
Thanks Mary that is filling more in about Thomas and his family. Sadly Selina died on the ship on the way out leaving a one year old.

Merry
08-02-17, 05:47
1841 Pendleton, 1851 Pembleton, 1861 Pembleton, 1871 Pemberton and Pembleton .. help Merry

Pemberton is/was around 20-30 times more common than Pembleton and Pendleton around ten times more common, so the enumerator put down the version he was familiar with, or he heard what he was more familiar with?

Merry
08-02-17, 06:29
I haven't found any record of a death for Susan/Phoebe between 1871 and 1876, nor after that in case she stayed here with son Wm until he travelled to Australia. Wm doesn't seem to still be here in 1881, though single men are often hard to find on the census.

Merry
08-02-17, 07:18
It doesn't look like Wm and Susan/Phoebe had any children in the UK before he went to Oz. I wonder if they separated?

tenterfieldjulie
08-02-17, 07:46
Found some interesting items in Trove:

Western Star and Roma Advertiser (Toowoomba, Qld.)
5 September 1903 Wallumbilla. September 3.
Since my last, our only Crimean veteran, Mr. Pembleton, celebrated his seventy-third birthday by giving an evening party, at which a large number of well-wishers attended, and partook of the dainties, liquid and solid, that were profusely provided and served by quite a number of attentive waiters. Among the treats, and not the least, were a couple of duets rendered by the host and hostess; the old gentleman's voice is still clear and ringing.

30 September 1905
Compilation of Obituaries
As a young man, Mr. Pembleton had enlisted in a British line regiment, and saw active service in the Crimean campaign, having been present at the siege of Sebastopol and the capture of the Redan. Of late years he resided at Wallumbilla, where he kept a general provision store.
Mr. Pembleton in his earlier years served with the 31st Regiment, doing duty in trenches before Sebastopol, witnessed the assault on the Mamelon by the victorious French, and afterwards took part in the storming of the Redan.
Very few of the residents here have not witnessed "Old Dad" "shouldering his crutch and showing how fields were won, and the esteem he was held in, was demonstrated by the multitude of mourners that followed his remains to the cemetery.
His blunt expressions, characteristic of the old soldier, did not always meet approval, more especially by those not so British at heart; yet few to-day would care to hear any remark calculated to dim the respect Wallumbilla cherishes for the "grand old man."
Punctually at half-past four, Sergeant Wanstall drew up his men facing the residence of the deceased. The coffin was then placed on a lorry, drawn by two black horses picked for the occasion. Above the folds of the Union Jack, numerous wreaths of flowers were placed, and the procession was then formed up, Constable Joyce, in full uniform, acting as advanced guard. Then an order from the Sergeant, and to the roll of the muffled drum and the solemn strains of the dead march, the cortage moved off to the cemetery. The scene was impressive.
The service at the grave was conducted by Rev. Mr. Anderson, and by special request the well-known hymn, “Safe in the arms of Jesus,” was sung by the assembled multitude. Another order - sharp and decisive — followed by the movements of armed men. A crash of musketry! - again - and again; and ere the woes of the final volley had died away, the trumpeter sounded the "Last Post" and "Lights Out,'' and the aged warrior was left alone in his glory.

20 October 1906
Estate of WILLIAM PEMBLETON late of Wallumbilla, in the State of Queensland, Storekeeper, deceased, who died on the 24th day of September, 1905, at Wallumbilla

In 1851 William was a 19 rail labourer at Durham, which would fit with enlisting in the Crimean campaign of Oct 1853 to March 1856 and marrying in the Dec Q 1856.

Are there enlistment records for the 31st Regiment available that might identify who his parents were?

Merry
08-02-17, 08:26
I couldn't see an army record on fmp for him, but googled and found:

34th Foot Depot Rolls

3639 Private Pembleton William Enlisted Sheffield 16 March 1854 b. Eddingley, Southwell. Aged 17 & 6m. Deserted from Edinburgh, 25 April 1857

I would place a bet that if you find his 'father's' name anywhere (marriage cert, army record etc) it will say William even though we think Wm was his uncle!

tenterfieldjulie
08-02-17, 08:45
Aha that is the explanation of the names - he married as William while he was in the army 20 Feb 1857. He deserted 25 April 1857, so in the 1861 Census he became James to cover his tracks. For some reason when Isabella was baptised he was called James.
Eddingley, Southwell, Notts is where his uncle? William was born 1805?
I really wonder if he knew where he was born and who his parents were. In 1851 Census he is aged 19, and his ages on Census were consistent, but on enlistment in March 1854 he is aged 17 yrs and 6 months. That could have been a clerical error of course, but he should have been 22. More confusion.

Merry
08-02-17, 12:09
You mentioned when Isabella was baptised William was recorded as James.

Here is the bap of their youngest, George Edward Pembleton:

16 Dec 1866 at Auckland Saint Andrew, Durham, parents William and Ann (All England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 - Ancestry).

EDIT Same database:

Catharine Pembelton 12 Apr 1863 Tanfield, Durham, James, Ann

Merry
08-02-17, 16:13
Here's a little conundrum I came across by chance (not written in the order I found it!)!

The 1876 passenger list has Thomas and Selina both aged 29, but in 1871 they were both recorded as aged 28. They were married in Q4 1866 (her name Selina Humber), but on the 1871 census the children listed with them are aged 9, 7 and 3 months, so the older two before the marriage.

So I thought I'd check the birth regs:

PEMBLETON, MARY ELLEN mmn HUMBER
GRO Reference: 1875 M Quarter in TYNEMOUTH Volume 10B Page 229

the above is the child who travelled with her parents.

Next one is very possibly the same family:

PEMBLETON, JANE PEMBLETON mmn HUMBLE
GRO Reference: 1874 M Quarter in TYNEMOUTH Volume 10B Page 224

(Died same Q)

PEMBLETON, EMMA mmn HUMBER
GRO Reference: 1873 M Quarter in TYNEMOUTH Volume 10B Page 236

(Died 1873)

PEMBLETON, LUCY mmn HUMBER
GRO Reference: 1871 D Quarter in AUCKLAND Volume 10A Page 235

(Died same Q)

PEMBLETON, JOHN THOMAS mmn HUMBER
GRO Reference: 1871 M Quarter in CASTLE WARD Volume 10B Page 245

(Died 1873)

PEMBLETON, LILLY mmn HUMBER
GRO Reference: 1868 D Quarter in STOCKTON Volume 10A Page 120

(Died 1868)

PEMBLETON, LILY mmn HUMBER
GRO Reference: 1866 D Quarter in STOCKTON Volume 10A Page 120

(Died 1868)

PEMBLETON, GEORGE mmn HUMBER
GRO Reference: 1864 D Quarter in GATESHEAD Volume 10A Page 656

(Died 1866)

PEMBLETON, WILLIAM mmn HUMBER
GRO Reference: 1863 S Quarter in GATESHEAD Volume10A Page 606

I don't see a death for this William, but he didn't travel with his family when he would have been 13.

There was also a dau aged 9 on the 1871 census - Elizabeth Pembleton, but I can't see a birth reg for her in surname Pembleton or Humber. She also doesn't seem to have died before the Oz voyage. (what a lot of lost children though - awful....)

Anyway, it seemed quite reasonable that Thomas and Selina had children before their marriage and that one of those children was registered as if they were married....However......

Remember Selina said in 1871 that she was 28 and born at Quorndon Leicestershire.

Well, who is this??

1861 census at Billy Row, Durham

Selina Pembleton wife 19 b Leicestershire

Her husband is George Pembleton aged 20 and nextdoor are William and Ann Pembleton, the parents of Thomas, uncle and aunt of William (1833) and presumably parents of this George too (they had a George living with them in 1841 aged 3)

I looked for the marriage of George and Selina and, surprise, surprise, she is Selina Humber!

Marriages Sep 1858
Humber Selina Mansfield 7b 72
Pemblenton George Mansfield 7b 72

and George died in 1866 Q3 aged 26, so I guess those older children were George's not Thomas's. Why did Selina marry in the name Humber again? Maybe because she knew a man shouldn't marry his late brother's wife? That might be it I guess.

I suppose it's possible the surviving two children, Elizabeth and William, may have stayed here because they were not Thomas's children but sad if their mother left them here - she couldn't have known she would die on the voyage.

I've just got to throw some dinner together and then I'll have a look for William (1863) and Elizabeth (1861ish) in 1881.

Merry
08-02-17, 17:01
As yet, I can't see Elizabeth and William after the 1871 census, but I did find:

George Pembleton bap 4 Dec 1864 Tanfield, Durham parents George and
Selina

The above bap is the same date and place as Isabella was baptised the dau of 'James' and Annie :)

Elizabeth Ann Pembleton bap 15 Jan 1860 Shotley-Bridge, Durham parents George and Selina

There is no birth reg for this Elizabeth Ann and I wondered if she is the same child as is aged 9 in 1871, but she should then be on the 1861 as well and I don't see her there. As there is no death reg, that's another mystery! Perhaps she just got missed off the 1861 census?

I don't suppose Elizabeth (Ann) (very approx. b 1860) or William (1863) turned up in Oz at a later date like some of William and Annie's children?

Merry
08-02-17, 17:35
Hmmmm, I wonder if that baptism date of 15 Jan 1860 is mis-transcribed?

PEMBLINGTON, ELIZABETH ANN mmn HUMBER
GRO Reference: 1861 S Quarter in DURHAM Volume 10A Page 247

If there were two daughters the first doesn't seem to have been registered for birth or death.

EDIT: there were two baptisms, so presumably two daughters. here is the baptism for the second Eliz Ann:

11 Aug 1861 Lanchester, Durham, dau of George and Selina.

Also, here is the bap for the baby who went to Australia:

Mary Ellen*31 Jan 1875 Primitive Methodist Church, Blyth and Seaton Delaval Circuit, Northumberland, dau of Thomas and Selina

tenterfieldjulie
10-02-17, 09:15
Wow Merry that is fascinating about Selina and family. It said she died onboard the ship on her way out, but her death is actually recorded in Qld, which may be the procedure of how it is recorded.
What is interesting is that on the Trove newspaper database "the grand old Man" William of Wallumbilla was married and it appears that while he ran the general store she appears to have a boarding house. However, I can't find a marriage in Australia. I really need to look at different variations of names.
Taking a different direction goes back to William's wife Ann. When you look her age at death, she would have been a minor when she married. If this is the case and as he was in the military would there be records online that would give her parents names?

Merry
10-02-17, 12:00
The marriage cert will be on Scotland's People and that should give both their father's names. (possibly the uncle, Wm, for Wm though!!)

Merry
10-02-17, 12:13
What is interesting is that on the Trove newspaper database "the grand old Man" William of Wallumbilla was married and it appears that while he ran the general store she appears to have a boarding house.

Is the grand old man the Wm who was married first to Ann McGregor? If he was, then have you looked for anything on his second wife in Australia? I know it doesn't look as if she travelled with him and his daughters, but she does seem to vanish in the UK before the 1881 census, so I wondered if she travelled separately?

Mary from Italy
10-02-17, 15:52
It said she died onboard the ship on her way out, but her death is actually recorded in Qld, which may be the procedure of how it is recorded.

Yes, deaths on board were usually registered at the first port the ship put into after the death.

tenterfieldjulie
11-02-17, 00:08
Thanks Merry and Mary.
I have looked for Phoebe Susannah but she doesn't appear in Qld.
When William's probate was settled his wife was named Margaret, but I can't find trace of their marriage.
I did find in 1907 in Qld a marriage of Margaret Pembleton to James Morrison Smith.
William and Margaret may have married and his name mistranscribed.
There was another William Pembleton in Qld at the same time as William Snr and Jnr, this William lived at Mt. Morgan and there is quite a bit about him in Trove.
Only the fact that the Qld death index in 1905 give the names of parents as William Pembleton and Ann Waterball, identifies GOM positively.

Uncle John
17-02-17, 21:23
Nothing at all to do with the family research, but if Deb & Co like social history and steam railways, the Tanfield Railway and Beamish open-air Museum are on the doorstep.

tenterfieldjulie
01-03-17, 21:28
Hi UJ .. Daphne and I visited Beamish in 2014 and it was wonderful. Not sure whether Deb and I can fit it in this time.