PDA

View Full Version : The Spencers

kiterunner
17-01-17, 14:33
The Visitation of Northamptonshire 1564 says the following:

Spencer of Everdon...

William Spencer of Badby, co North'ton, Esq, mar. Agnes, da of .... Heritage of Burton Dassett, co. Warwick, and by her had issue..- THOMAS, eldest son; John, second son; and Giles, third son; Julian, mar. to William Wilmore of Ryton, co Warwick; Margery, mar. to Thomas Judkin of Weedon, co. North'ton; Agnes, mar. to Thomas Higgins of Berkeswell, co Warwick.

THOMAS SPENCER of Everdon, co North'ton, Esq, eldest son and heir of William, mar. Dorothy, da to Sir William Spencer of Wormleyton, co Warwick, Kt, and by her had issue - William, his eldest son; George, second son; Dorothy, mar. to George Cope of Copes Ashbye, co North'ton, Gent; Suzan, mar. to John Temple of Burton Dassett, co Warwick; Mary; and Katherine; (Harl. MS 1138 contains this addition, which Mary was mar to Richard Wallop of Bugbrooke, co North'ton, Esq, the third son of Sir Christopher Wallop, Kt, of Farley Wallop, co South'ton...

Then the Visitation of Northamptonshire 1618-9 shows the Judkin family descended from Thomas and Margery.

I'm trying to find anything which confirms that Margery Spencer was the daughter of William and Agnes, and sister of Thomas, John, Giles, Julian, and Agnes jr, but not found proof yet, only lots of quotes and rewordings of the above.
I looked at the 1576 PCC will of Thomas Spencer of Everdon, which mentions his brothers John Spencer of Tame (Thame, Oxfordshire) and Giles Spencer, cousin (presumably niece) Elizabeth Higginson and his son William Spencer, but no mention of Margery and her family.

And a transcription of the will of Julyan Wilmer, widow of William Wilmer, dated 1558, only mentions her own children and their spouses and children, plus Thomas Spencer of Everdon is the executor.

So everybody is connected nicely except Margery! Can anybody find some proof, please?

Mary from Italy
17-01-17, 22:57
I've had a look round, and I can't see anything obvious.

A Nicholas Spencer of Badby left a will, but I imagine it's too early to be helpful (1522). It's not online; the Northants RO presumably has it.

kiterunner
18-01-17, 11:07
Thanks, Mary.

Phoenix
18-01-17, 14:35
The 1564 visitation is providing just two generations. I would not have any problem accepting Margery into the family. The only problem I would have is linking her with any Thomas Judkin and Margery of the period. Trouble is, she could easily have died in childbed in 1565.

kiterunner
18-01-17, 16:46
Thanks, Phoenix.