PDA

View Full Version : Baptismal entry - help, please.

ElizabethHerts
11-01-17, 13:41
This entry could be important for my research. I'm looking for a baptism which I think might be this one.

It is the 13th entry from the bottom on the right-hand page. I'd appreciate opinions of what it says. I'm not sure if I'm correct, but if I am it is good news!
The name is Robt. (sic).

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record/browse?id=gbprs%2fchs%2f4019062%2f00977&parentid=gbprs%2fchs%2f4019062%2f00977

kiterunner
11-01-17, 16:24
I think the beginning is saying the same day as above (12 Oct 1623) and then it looks like Robt the Sonn of Robt Hyde my Sonn, but I'm not sure about the Hyde - just think it must be that because the signature at the bottom of the page is John Hyde. It does look as though it begins with an H, though not written the same way as John Hyde's H, but not certain about the rest of it.

ElizabethHerts
11-01-17, 16:57
Kate, many thanks. That is exactly what I think it says.

Inside the church at Mottram-in-Longdendale is this plaque:

Robert Hyde of Catten Hall in the County of Chester, Gent. Grandson of John Hyde late Deane Rurall of Macclesfield. Married Katherine, only Daughter of John Bretland of Thorncliffe Gent. Departed this Life the 24th July 1684 aged 61 and did bequeth to the Freeschoole of Mottram Five Pounds and to the Poore thereof Forty Shillings Yearly for Ever.

So he would have been born c. 1623, so I think it is the right baptism.

I'm transcribing his will. I'm trying to connect the Hydes together but it is going to be a long process. I don't know if OH is descended from John Hyde the Clerk or not.

ElizabethHerts
11-01-17, 16:59
By the way, it seems to be written "Hyd".

ElizabethHerts
11-01-17, 17:01
An extract from the will of Robert Hyde of Catten Hall:

"And I doe further
give and devise to the poor of the parish of Mottram
in Longdendale in ye County of Chester where I was
borne the sum of forty shillings yearly for ever to be paid
at the feast of Easter and the same to be distributed according
as the Gentlemen, Churchwardens, Overseers and othr the
parishioiners at their public meeting shall thinke fit
Alsoe I further devise the sum of five pounds yearly for
ever to be paid to the severall Schoolmasters of the
Freeschoole of Mottram aforesaid to be as a further
Augmenac’on for their teaching the Free schoole there
and to be paid yearly at the two Feasts of the Annucation
of the blessed Virgin Mary and St Michael the
Archangell by equall porcons..."

kiterunner
11-01-17, 17:10
That's handy. I wish it had been mandatory to give birthplace in a will!

ElizabethHerts
11-01-17, 17:15
I love the fact that the money had to be paid "for ever"! I'll have to see if the school survives. Do you think Robert Hyde must have been pretty unusual in 1684 to be promoting education in this way?

ElizabethHerts
11-01-17, 17:16
That's handy. I wish it had been mandatory to give birthplace in a will!

It would solve a lot of problems!

kiterunner
11-01-17, 17:26
I love the fact that the money had to be paid "for ever"! I'll have to see if the school survives. Do you think Robert Hyde must have been pretty unusual in 1684 to be promoting education in this way?
Yes, I think so. You usually see money left to the church and to the poor in wills of that time, but not often specifically for schools.

kiterunner
11-01-17, 17:27
If you google Robert Hyde free school Mottram a lot of mentions come up, Elizabeth.

Merry
11-01-17, 17:27
Is this the school?

http://db.theclergydatabase.org.uk/jsp/locations/index.jsp?locUnitKey=7094

If you google there are loads of refs to it. Set up in 1622, but I haven't yet found what happened when it closed...

Merry
11-01-17, 17:28
Snap Kate!

ElizabethHerts
11-01-17, 17:46
Ooh, thanks, Kate and Merry! I have been cooking and eating and popping back to look at this!

OH seems to have a lot of ancestors from this parish so some of them were probably educated there. I've started a tree with these Hydes. Someone has OH's Abel Hyde a descendant but I haven't been able to prove it yet. The wills haven't thrown anything up yet.

ElizabethHerts
11-01-17, 17:50
http://www.mottramparish.org.uk/content/pages/documents/1448537039.pdf

The school is now a private residence, having been sold in 1996 to finance the toilets in kitchenette in the church!

Robert Hyde must have turned in his grave.

ElizabethHerts
11-01-17, 17:51
The account looks slightly different. This was a grammar school. I wonder what age group Robert's school was for?

kiterunner
11-01-17, 18:54
Grammar school used to mean something different in those days, didn't it? Sorry, I mean in Robert Hyde's day, if they even used the term then.