PDA

View Full Version : Joshua Webster will?

Sue from Southend
02-01-17, 16:14
I've found some records on Lancs Archives that suggest that Joshua Webster of Whitehaven, my 7x gt grandfather was a solicitor and apparitor (something to do with ecclestiastical courts) in the 1720s however I can't find a will for him and I would have thought that as someone who worked in the law he would have made a will. I've checked Lancashire Archives, Cumberland Archives and Yorkshire probate on FMP but the only possible is dated 1747 but this Joshua Webster lived in Quernmore, Lancs (about 50 miles from Whitehaven)and was a yeoman.

Have I missed any possible sources for Joshua's will? Perhaps I should apply for a copy of the Quernmore will?

kiterunner
02-01-17, 16:53
Marriage 27 Jul 1714 St Mary, Lancaster, Joshua Webster of Quarmore married Eliz Coward of Lancaster (on Lancashire OPC site).
Was your Joshua married to an Elizabeth Coward?
Edit - just realised I can answer my own question because his wife was Dorothy in one of those Lancs Archives catalogue entries (dated 1726), and you have your 6xg-g's parents as Joshua and Dorothy in 1712, so the Joshua of Quarmore can't be your Joshua.

There is a Lancs Archives catalogue entry Defamation Cause Papers: Hodgson v Hall dated 10 Aug 1737 mentioning "Joshua Webster, apparitor", so he was still in that job in the Workington area then.

kiterunner
02-01-17, 17:06
I can't find any likely will either. Could be that he didn't have much to leave by the time of his death and so his will didn't need probate?

Sue from Southend
02-01-17, 17:35
Thanks Kite - it's reassuring that I hadn't missed anything at least! I had found the Joshua/Elizabeth marriage and ruled out the Quernmore will but then started doubting myself!

I've asked for a costing for a copy of this - Citation for Mary wife of William Lancaster of Whitehaven, St Bees, Cumberland, to appear at Lancaster St Mary on 1 Feb 1726 to answer a charge of defaming Dorothy wife of Joshua Webster; citation served on Mary 24 Jan 1726 by Edward [Starky - in the hope that it might be clue to Dorothy's maiden name.... a Dorothy Loncaster was baptised in that area in the right time frame.

I guess I'll give up on the will idea :(