PDA

View Full Version : Ennis County Clare Cholera outbreak

geniebug
30-12-16, 04:25
My daughter asked me the following question. Can anyone help please? I'm not familiar with Irish History.

"Maybe you could look for the complete article for this - I'd like the background on Cholera in Ennis and also to see if there is anything more about Michael Gleeson."
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad193/joody_anne/Cholera%20in%20Ennis_1.png

My rellie is Michael Gleeson from Ennis County Clare, his wife the former Anne Tierney. She was born in 1807 so he was born around that time.

Merry
30-12-16, 07:45
The whole of that article in the Westmeath Independent is available through FMP, but I don't have a sub that covers Irish newspapers so I can't access it. Others probably will have though.

There are plenty of articles about the same cholera epidemic in newspapers covered by the UK sub, but I couldn't see any mentioning Michael Gleeson.

kiterunner
30-12-16, 08:45
It is available on the British Newspaper Archive site, and they don't have separate subs for the UK newspapers and the Irish ones. I think that they give you free credits when you register an account, so try that if you haven't already got an account with them, Jood.

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Merry
30-12-16, 09:03
When you say you want to know more about Michael Gleeson, do you specifically mean the one who died of cholera in 1849, or just any Michael Gleeson in the right area in case the 1849 man is the wrong person? I ask because I found this post of yours from 2014:

Re Michaels death. I saw where a Michael Gleeson had died but from the news handed down to me, (see below) - I don't think he was ours, as he was supposed to have died from cholera (not sure when the outbreak was)

"It has been said that he died of cholera in Ireland. He was a protestant.

Clare Journal March 26th 1849 - "This morning in Jail Street, of Cholera, Mr Michael Gleeson, driver of the Limerick Car.

On his daughters death certificate in 1904, Michaels occupation was Govt. Official, although it does not say if he is deceased or not."
I have discounted the 1849 death.

In case you had reinstated the man who died of cholera, I found this, also in the Irish papers, so I can't see exactly what happened:

THE CLARE JOURNAL. ENNIS Fatal Accident. —Last night Michael Gleeson, the driver of the c?r between this town and Limerick, was approaching Newmarket on his return to Ennis he accidently drove his car over old woman on the road, who, we understand ......
24 August 1848 - Clare Journal, and Ennis Advertiser - Ennis, Clare, Republic

I did also do a search of the papers for Michael George Gleeson but that turned up zero results!

James18
30-12-16, 14:56
God, for a moment I thought I was glancing at the General Discussion forum when I saw the thread title. :D

geniebug
30-12-16, 22:04
I'll keep looking Merry. I can't find Westmeath Indendent. Meanwhile a few other suggestions have come in, so will check those out.

I know I've mentioned Michael Gleeson before - we still don't know if the one in Jail Street is ours as I've never found a marriage certificate for him and Anne Tierney. A Govt official is a long way from a passenger car driver. There were heaps of Michael Gleeson's around at the time. I just know that when his wife Anne came to Australia, he was not with the family and we have not heard anything of him since.

It was on his daughter's death cert that her father was a Govt Official, tho she didn't recall her mother's maiden name. (We've never been able to trace the mother's death after she arrived in Australia)

Michael was also mentioned at another daughter's marriage "Listed as Michael George Gleeson, Clerk, at daughter Kate's marriage in 1860."

There is an Ann Gleeson of Jail Street in the 1852 valuations but that isnt real proof

geniebug
31-12-16, 10:11
Ok - saw what I wanted to see - we were told he'd died of cholera (hearsay) - and it must be him, I guess. The newspapers didn't add anything to help me, so I will put it to bed until something else pops up.

Thanks for all your suggestions.