PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone decipher a town in Worc. please?

geniebug
03-12-16, 03:52
I wish I knew the towns in England. I now have an 1871 census in Worcestershire - goodness knows what the name of the town was. I am looking at N0. 72, 2nd entry, granddaughter Elizabeth Bates, can anyone read the town please?

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad193/joody_anne/1871_1.jpg

BlueSavannah
03-12-16, 06:50
Pretty sure it says Newland and the road Newland Almshouse. There is a Newland in Worcestershire :)

Merry
03-12-16, 06:57
There are definitely other ways to discover what's written other than knowing the towns Jood! I had never heard of the one we did yesterday.

I didn't know what this one said either. First I looked to see what the entry was transcribed as and discovered someone had made a correction on ancestry to read Alvechurch (which I've never heard of!). I also looked at the 1861 census to see what that said. Turned out the family was living at Alvechurch then and the writing is much clearer. With that info I can now miraculously read the 1871 entry!

Sometimes I might also try and establish the correct birth registration to help me. If you use FreeBMD for this you can check what parishes are in the district (by clicking the district name in the results) and often recognise the difficult word from that.

Merry
03-12-16, 07:11
Sometimes I might also try and establish the correct birth registration to help me. If you use FreeBMD for this you can check what parishes are in the district (by clicking the district name in the results) and often recognise the difficult word from that.

Actually, there's a bit of an anomaly in this case as I had thought this was Elizabeth's birth reg

Births Dec 1859 Bate Eliza Bromsgrove 6c 408

because Bromsgrove district covers Alvechurch, but when I checked the GRO indexes for mmn I found:

BATE, ELIZABETH mmn HEAVEN GRO Reference: 1858 D Quarter in KINGS NORTON Volume 06C Page 371

So, in theory if she was born at Alvechurch she shouldn't have been registered at Kings Norton!!

geniebug
03-12-16, 10:52
Thanks ladies - Newlands it is - if I squint I can just make it out! I didn't even know which initial it started with at first, so it was pretty hard to find.

So William was in the poor house (is that what an almshouse is?) with his grand-daughter?

BATE, ELIZABETH mmn HEAVEN GRO Reference: 1858 D Quarter in KINGS NORTON Volume 06C Page 371

It was actually this girl I was looking for - who her mother is (one of Williams children) He only had two daughters, so it was either Ann or Margaret Elizabeth who married a Bates, and that is proving difficult to find.

kiterunner
03-12-16, 12:25
The place where they were living is Newland and Elizabeth's birthplace is Alvechurch. The enumerator is one of those annoying people who varies the way they write each capital letter!

Mary from Italy
03-12-16, 14:28
A really useful site to find place names is Genuki.

For example, for Worcestershire you'd look at this page:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/WOR/townsandparishes

and try to find a name similar to the one you can't read.

Merry
03-12-16, 16:12
Thanks ladies - Newlands it is

Sorry, as you asked for the place name for just one person, Elizabeth Bate, I thought you were after the birthplace, rather than where they all lived :o

So William was in the poor house (is that what an almshouse is?) with his grand-daughter?

Yes, but a poorhouse is also a word used for the workhouse, which is different. Almshouses were usually a small number of small houses, often terraced, built for the elderly poor. Here are the Newland Almshouses celebrating their 400th birthday!

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/newland-street-party-celebrate-almshouses-400th/story-26767280-detail/story.html

It was actually this girl I was looking for - who her mother is (one of Williams children) He only had two daughters, so it was either Ann or Margaret Elizabeth who married a Bates, and that is proving difficult to find.

It's Bate not Bates!

I realise now that the Elizabeth Bate who appears on the 1871 census with her grandfather born in Alvechurch is not the same girl who appears on the 1861 census born in Alvechurch!! In 1861 William Heaven's granddaughter is said to have been born in Kings Norton, which matches with her birth reg. They are living in Alvechurch though, which is probably why this ended up being recorded as her birthplace in 1871.

The correct Elizabeth's parents are Joseph and Margaret E Bate (from the 1861 census).

Joseph Bate married Margaret Elizabeth Heaven on 28 Jun 1856 at Wythall, Worcestershire. His father was also Joseph Bate and hers William Heaven. I've not found an image for it yet. Those details are from the England, Select Marriages, 1538–1973 on ancestry.

geniebug
03-12-16, 19:44
Thanks again girls.

Sorry, as you asked for the place name for just one person, Elizabeth Bate, I thought you were after the birthplace, rather than where they all lived
Well I was trying to decipher the town (Newlands) but then was trying to find Elizabeth's parents, - you are right tho, I keep saying Bates, not Bate - no wonder I couldn't find anything!

You girls are amazing. I look at several sites for information, yet you come up with what I'm looking for :o

geniebug
03-12-16, 22:51
Merry I am only sending this (my daughter corrected me) - because it is interesting, and someone else might like to read it.

She says ......

That is actually the wrong Almshouse, it is in Newland, Worcestershire not Newland, Gloucestershire. see pic.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad193/joody_anne/Newlands%20Armshouse%20Worcestershire.jpg

Merry
04-12-16, 06:50
Oops, sorry!

That's funny as when I posted the other link I did think to myself that I should check they were the right ones as the county boundaries in that area moved around a lot, but I must have got distracted and never went back to it!!

So they were virtually new when Wm Heaven moved in.

geniebug
04-12-16, 06:55
Seems like it. Interesting write up about it though wasn't it?

Merry
04-12-16, 07:10
Yes and like very many almshouses in the UK they are still there!