PDA

View Full Version : Hampshire records to be available through the Genealogist and S&N

ElizabethHerts
29-11-16, 18:00
http://www.hgs-familyhistory.com/2016/11/new-partnership-hgs/

From tomorrow new records will be available from the Genealogist.

One interesting snippet:
"It is possible that in the future an enhanced subscription to HGS will include access to the Hampshire data available on FHS-online for a period of time, so please do keep checking our website for any further announcements."

I'm not overthrilled about this because I really don't want to subscribe to the Genealogist. However, I already have a lot of the CDs.

kiterunner
29-11-16, 18:32
Hampshire Genealogical Society (I assume it is the same as an FHS?) say that "This new enterprise will broaden the availability of our records and will be of great benefit to those family history researchers who like and need online access to genealogical records." But surely it will mean that people have to take out subs to two different sites (FMP and The Genealogist) to be able to look at all their transcripts, instead of just one if they had stuck with Findmypast? Also FMP is available free in many libraries and I don't think The Genealogist is?

This is the other site that they mention, FHS Online, which evidently belongs to The Genealogist. Looks as though you have to register to be able to search, so I will do that later. (Edit - I have registered, but my confirmation email has not come through yet.)
http://www.fhs-online.co.uk/databases.php

Should mention that they are only talking about transcriptions of Hampshire records, not images.

kiterunner
30-11-16, 11:06
Looking at The Genealogist website today, I can't see any mention of the new records. I was hoping to find out whether they are included in the Gold subscription or not, as there is often a free 1 or 3 month Gold sub offered in the family history magazines etc.

I never got an activation email for FHS Online and if I try to log in, it says my account hasn't been activated, and if I try to register it says I am already registered. I don't see a button to click to resend the account activation email!

ElizabethHerts
01-12-16, 07:15
The Genealogist has just e-mailed me to offer me a free one-month diamond subscription! I might have to take them up on this.

WendyPusey
01-12-16, 09:11
Just a note.

If you are looking for Isle of Wight records recorded as Hampshire in the earlier years, then you won't find them here.

kiterunner
03-12-16, 16:02
I can now confirm that the new records are not included in the "Gold" sub - you need a "Diamond" one to view them.

The new FHS Online site reminds me of a site which the FHS's used to have many years ago (I forget its name) where you had to buy credits to view transcriptions, but the credits were pretty cheap. That site was eventually taken over by Findmypast, although a few of the FHS's withdrew their data rather than transfer it to FMP.

kiterunner
07-12-16, 22:33
The Genealogist has just e-mailed me to offer me a free one-month diamond subscription! I might have to take them up on this.
I've just received one of those offers. I was going to take it up but it said it would automatically renew at a price of whatever etc and I didn't want to go through the hassle of making sure to cancel it in time, so I clicked "I don't want this offer".
Edit - but I have just got an email thanking me for taking up the offer and saying that I won't be charged at the end of it. Phew.

ElizabethHerts
08-12-16, 07:00
I took up the offer but so far I haven't been impressed with what I have found. I haven't found anything new so far.

kiterunner
08-12-16, 09:44
I find it worrying that I now have an annual Diamond sub (with automatic renewal) in my "basket" on their site, and there seems to be no way to remove it. If I wanted to buy something else from them (not that I do), would I be able to without taking out the sub too? At least I have the email saying that the month's sub is free and that I don't have to pay for anything at the end of it.

kiterunner
08-12-16, 10:02
But wow, I've just found a record relating to my g-grandfather which I had never seen before! (oops, I should add that it is not in the Hampshire records, which I had forgotten this thread was about!)

ElizabethHerts
08-12-16, 20:29
What sort of record is it, Kate?

kiterunner
08-12-16, 21:47
Details on this thread, Elizabeth (post #7):
http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=329710#post329710

ElizabethHerts
08-12-16, 21:49
Very interesting, Kate.