PDA

View Full Version : H.E. Hopkins

bdetzel
05-11-16, 22:44
Can anyone help me as I've hit a wall!! I am looking for an H.E. Hopkins that was living in Saltese , Mineral County, Montana in 1910. I don't know how old she was at that time but she was the Mother of a Frank Marion Wooten b. 1881 in Dahlonega, Georgia. . I don't know if H.C. Hopkins ever married Wooten as she kept her maiden name. I suspect that she probably lived in Montana until her death. So if anyone could help me find any info on this lady it would be very much appreciated!!!!

Mary from Italy
05-11-16, 23:11
Can you tell us where you're getting your information from?

I've just had a quick look, and the only Frank Wooten of about the right age I can see on the censuses was born in Georgia in 1882. In 1900 he's living in Arkansas with his mother Lena A Wooten, widow, born in Georgia in 1859.

And in 1910 there's a Harry C Hopkin, age 50, born Ohio, living in Saltese with wife Alma or Alina (it's hard to read), 50, born Georgia, who could well be Lena.

Mary from Italy
05-11-16, 23:51
I've just checked the 1880 census, and Lena Wooten, single, 21, is living with her parents John and Martha and her brother in Dahlonega, Georgia.

Mary from Italy
06-11-16, 00:00
In 1920 H C Hopkins, male, widower, 57, born Ohio, is living alone in Cedar township, Mineral County, Montana.

Mary from Italy
06-11-16, 00:11
According to the Montana deaths index, Lena Hopkins died in Mineral County, Montana, on 3 October 1919, aged 57:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mtlcgs/mtmsgs/mtdeath10H.htm

kiterunner
06-11-16, 09:46
I bet Frank put his mother's name down as Mrs H. C. Hopkins on a document.

Mary from Italy
06-11-16, 12:04
Yes, I was thinking probably a military service record, but I haven't found it yet.

Mary from Italy
06-11-16, 22:15
Mrs HC Hopkins of Saltese, Montana (listed as parent), plus his wife and 3 children, are named in his railway company personnel file, dated 1910:

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/2157/32722_1521003236_0336-03792/26935?backurl=http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/12046402/person/-312117542/facts

Janet
06-11-16, 22:29
Don't miss all the pages! You need to back up to 3543, then continue forward from 3546 through 3551. Lots of information.

bdetzel
06-11-16, 23:34
Mrs HC Hopkins of Saltese, Montana (listed as parent), plus his wife and 3 children, are named in his railway company personnel file, dated 1910:

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/2157/32722_1521003236_0336-03792/26935?backurl=http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/12046402/person/-312117542/facts

Mary thank you so very much for all your work on this! You reminded me of a 1900 census, think it was you on Lena Wooten. I had that census but thought it wasn't Franks Mother as in that Northern Pacific Railway Company Personel File he listed his Mother as a H.E. Hopkins. But after rethinking the whole think that census had Frank listed as an Englineer! Then on that info was a Mrs. Hopkins meaning his mother had remarried! It all fit but still don't know Franks Fathers first and middle name. Don't know how to get that info.!

Mary from Italy
06-11-16, 23:41
It may well be impossible, I'm afraid. Even if you could get hold of Frank's birth certificate his father probably isn't named on it. Lena clearly didn't marry him, they aren't together in 1880, and most of the 1890 census hasn't survived.

You could try tracing the descendants of Lena's siblings, to see if anyone knows anything, but of course Lena may not even have told her family who Frank's father was.

bdetzel
06-11-16, 23:47
I bet Frank put his mother's name down as Mrs H. C. Hopkins on a document.

Thank you for reading my post. I did get some help. Yes Frank Wooten listed his mothers name as H. E. Hopkins and that threw me off. Someone directed me to a 1900 Census that I had known about but kind of forgot about. Aftetr re reading it it listed Lena Wooten as widowed and Frank was an engineer. I then realized Lena was his Mother but had married H.E. Hopkins! It all came together. Still don't have Franks Fathers name. Could be the same, Frank Marion Wooten. Would like to find Lena's maiden name also. This is such a great site, Thank you very much! Barbara in Oregon:

Mary from Italy
07-11-16, 00:06
Lena's maiden name was Wooten (see the 1880 census which I mentioned above). I don't think she ever married Harry Hopkins; at least I haven't found a marriage.

She was calling herself a widow in 1900, presumably to look more respectable as she had a child.

bdetzel
07-11-16, 00:30
I've just checked the 1880 census, and Lena Wooten, single, 21, is living with her parents John and Martha and her brother in Dahlonega, Georgia.

Mary again thank you for this bit of information. She is going by Lana but that's the same person as Lena Wooten Wooten in the 1900 census! So she must have become preg. with Frank and she was not married, is that what you think? Just took he family name then. So still don't know who that Father of Frank was! Thank you so very much. Barbara

bdetzel
07-11-16, 00:44

Mary again thank you for this bit of information. She is going by Lana but that's the same person as Lena Wooten Wooten in the 1900 census! So she must have become preg. with Frank and she was not married, is that what you think? Just took he family name then. So still don't know who that Father of Frank was! Thank you so very much. Barbara

bdetzel
07-11-16, 03:58
Lena's maiden name was Wooten (see the 1880 census which I mentioned above). I don't think she ever married Harry Hopkins; at least I haven't found a marriage.

She was calling herself a widow in 1900, presumably to look more respectable as she had a child.

I think she gave Frank her last name also. In that 1900 census tho I saw that it said Frank's father was from Tennessee. Also in that employment for for the railway Co. Frank filled out he said his Mother was a Mrs. H. E. (Or C.) Hopkins who lives in Saltese, Mineral Co. Montana in 1910. Also there was a Lena Hopkins who died there in 1919 at the age of 57. So I think that takes care of her. It's just that I probably will never get his Fathers name . Darn it's frustrating!

Mary from Italy
07-11-16, 22:42
So she must have become preg. with Frank and she was not married, is that what you think?

That's right. It's not impossible she married Harry Hopkins at some point after 1900; as I said I haven't found a marriage, but we don't know which state they would have married in, and I'm not sure whether all US towns are covered by the online indexes for that period.

If you want to look at the census images you could get a 14-day trial subscription to Ancestry; you have to give your credit card details, but as long as you remember to cancel the trial before the 14 days are up, they don't take any money from your card.

Alternatively you may be able to access Ancestry on the computers at your local library.