PDA

View Full Version : Kathleen Cunningham

Merry
22-09-16, 12:09
Kathleen Cunningham is a first cousin to the dreaded John Claud Hamilton, my OH's previously elusive grandfather. I didn't include his name in the thread title in case you then wouldn't open the thread :D

I am not doing too well with tracing what happened to JCH's maternal aunts and uncles - his mother (Margaret Scannell) had four known siblings of which I have marriages and children for two. Those two had 17 children between them but I only have information after the 1911 census for half of those, so I thought maybe here would be the place to tackle some of them, one at a time.

Kathleen Cunningham was the youngest of the known cousins I have found for JCH. She was born on 14 Aug 1910 at 13 Horgan's Buildings, Cork the youngest child of Thomas Cunningham a labourer and his wife Honora (or Nora(h)) nee Scannell, JCH's aunt.

On 26 Dec 1938 Kathleen married at St Finbarr's, West Cork to Thomas George Herbert Foulkes.

He was full age, a labourer, bachelor, address 35 Mac Curtain Buildings Cork, the son of George William Foulkes a labourer. I have no other information on this Thomas at all.

Kathleen was full age, spinster, address 96 Horgan's Buildings, Cork, the dau of Thomas Cunningham dec'd.

The witnesses were Frederick John Hock (or Hack) and May Hock (or Hack).

After this I have nothing.

Any ideas?

(Obviously if I found any children I couldn't post them here anyway as they might well still be living, but knowing there were some might lead me to where the parents went!)

kiterunner
22-09-16, 12:50
Is this her death, in 1945? Did she have a sister Mrs Nora Gleeson? Age is given as 30 so would be a bit out if it is her.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1945/04611/4222742

Edit - now I have realised the address on there is Horgan's Buildings, not Morgan's Buildings, of course it is her!!!

Merry
22-09-16, 12:57
Oh, yes, well done!

And her sister, Nora Gleeson nee Cunningham, is one of the others on the list for me to ask about. I don't know how I didn't see that death as I've looked at 100s of records over the last few days.

She's not the 'Kathleen' who emigrated to Canada then! :rolleyes:

Merry
22-09-16, 12:59
How did you get that death to come up? I've just searched for it, but no results???

kiterunner
22-09-16, 13:05
I searched the Ireland Civil Registration Deaths Index 1864-1958 on ancestry for a death of *thleen f*lk* 1948 +- 10 years, with 5 matches, and the only one which looked likely was Kathleen Foolkes Oct-Dec 1945 Cork age 30. Then I went back to the Irish Genealogy site and put in that spelling of the name and she came up.

Merry
22-09-16, 13:08
Thanks. I have been doing that (searching where I can use better variables and then going back to the Irish genealogy site) - so I can only think Kathleen was one of the people I was looking at before I thought of doing that! lol

Thanks again. I see her OH was in the British Army. I don't think she had any children by the look of it.

Merry
22-09-16, 14:13
Perhaps you could try this one? :D

Sister of Kathleen, Teresa Cunningham b 12 Aug 1906 at 13 Horgan's Buildings. I don't have anything on her after 1911. I don't think she is the one who died in 1920 as there are better candidates on the 1911 census, though she could be, I suppose.

Do you agree that if some of these people didn't marry and lived until after the cut off for the death registrations there isn't really any way to find them if they remained in Ireland?

kiterunner
22-09-16, 14:24
I can't even find the 1920 death that you mention. Clue, please?

kiterunner
22-09-16, 14:25
Do you agree that if some of these people didn't marry and lived until after the cut off for the death registrations there isn't really any way to find them if they remained in Ireland?

Yes, unless someone has them on a public tree or something.

Merry
22-09-16, 14:32
I can't even find the 1920 death that you mention. Clue, please?

Oh dear, I think I've got sunstroke! (it's very hot in the garden!)

The reason you can't see that death is because it was a possible for the next sister on the list, not Teresa! (I was going to tell you about Hannah Cunningham b 17 Mar 1901 next)

Apologies :o:o:o

Merry
22-09-16, 14:33
Yes, unless someone has them on a public tree or something.

Not had any luck with that yet.

Merry
23-09-16, 08:47
Would others agree that these marriage records from Ancestry:

Name: Mary Bridget Cunningham
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar, 1921
Registration district: Dublin North, Ireland
Volume: 2
Page Number: 491
FHL Film Number: 101264
Records on Page:
Name
Matthew Keogh
Margaret Mary Gannon
Mary Ralph
Edward Brophy
James Gilligan
George Sadler
Mary Bridget Cunningham
Mary Kavanagh

don't seem to appear on the Irish Genealogy site?

(I'm looking for what happened to Mary Bridget Cunningham b 11 Mar 1897 in Cork, after the 1911 census. Father Thomas, labourer, who died in 1917. She is listed as Bridget for both censuses.)

kiterunner
23-09-16, 09:50
There must have been a delay in adding them to the GRO index, so they are on the site but you have to search 1920:

Mary Kavanagh m Matthew Keogh 17 Oct 1920 Dublin
Edward Brophy m Margaret Gannon 10 Oct 1920 Dublin
James Gilligan m Mary Ralph 19 Oct 1920 Dublin
Mary Cunningham m George Sadler 17 Oct 1920 Dublin

On the image her name is Mary Bridget Cunningham. Father Denis Cunningham, carpenter.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1921/09218/5334591

Merry
23-09-16, 11:12
Ooh, thanks. Yet another non-match!

Kit
24-09-16, 04:23
I didn't include his name in the thread title in case you then wouldn't open the thread :D

You can't scare me, I open things out of curiosity. If you are posting something it is by definition generally going to be complicated and/or hard. :d

Besides if we will open things about Ariels, Holdens, Allenders etc we will pretty much open anything.