PDA

View Full Version : The Gwyn Family

ElizabethHerts
16-09-16, 21:00
I am making steady progress on OH's Welsh ancestors, but the names confuse me sometimes. :D

William Phillips married Elizabeth. I have no marriage for them but suspect she was a Gwyn as details of their marriage settlement appear in the Gwyn Estate papers:

"Gwyn Estate papers NAS Gw

5/1-10 Deeds of properties in several parishes, 1668-1748

5/1 Marriage Settlement after the marriage of William Phillips and Elizabeth, for £300, dated 26 Jan. 1668

(i) William Phillips of Penrhiwtyn, gent., to
(ii) Bussy Mansell of Briton Ferry, esq., George Williams of Baglan, gent., Thomas Gwynne of Pantycored, gent. and Richard Thomas of Gelli-gron, gent.

Houses and lands called Kelvydd Avan Yssa, Blaen Kedfe and Craig Ddy (60a), Tyle Coch, Gwerne Maith and Llech y Clawdd, Pentre, Kelvydd Jevan Ycha, and Moelguila, all in the parish of Bettws; Blaenogwr, Cae Jeuan Grant and the Talga, in the parishes of Glynogwr and Llangeinor; Ty yn y Wayne alias Tir Rees Meyrick Goch in the parish of Bettws; Maes y Llan and Llwyne Kirnich and Tir dan yr Eglois in the parish of Glynogwr; Tir Rosser, half share in Kelli Avel Ycha, Kelli Avel alias Gilvach Norvydd; and Gelli Avel Issa in the parish of Llandyfodwg

[1 parchment file]"

Can I assume she is Elizabeth Gwyn?

Then there is this:

Introduction

Reference: NAS Gw
Title (level): Gwyn Estate (Sub-fonds)
Dates: 1603-1748
Extent: 1 archive box (0.027 m3)

Administrative/Biographical History: The Gwyn family claimed descent from Brychan, the 5th century saint and prince of Brycheiniog. Branches of the family included the Gwynns of Glanbrân in the parish of Llanfair-ar-y-bryn, the Gwynne-Holfords of Breconshire, and the Gwyns of Trecastle. Relatives of the latter branch included Edward Gwyn of Ystradgynlais, esq. (fl. 1640s), father of Thomas Gwyn of Pantycored, gent., John Gwyn of Aber-craf, gent., Rowland Gwyn of Brecon, mercer, and Howell Gwyn of Ystradgynlais, gent., who married Gladis Jenkins, the sister of Llewelin Jenkins of Ystradfellte, and the Reverend Edward Gwyn, vicar of Clarbeston, Pembrokeshire in 1693, later vicar of Brecon, and son of Rowland Gwyn above. He married Elizabeth, a niece of Howell Gwyn, in 1697.

My query here is about the line:
It goes Edward Gwyen of Ystradgnlais - father of Thomas Gwyn of Pantycored.

Then are John, Rowland and Howell also Edward's sons, or are they just "relatives"?

Rowland's son Rev. Edward Gwyn married Elizabeth Phillips in 1697 (her surname is known from her brother William's will). Elizabeth and William Phillips are siblings of Rachel Phillips who married Thomas Easton.

Howell Gwyn is uncle to the Phillips siblings. I think Elizabeth Phillips was his sister, but this isn't stated. Otherwise he would have been uncle through his wife Gladis Jenkins, but I can find no evidence for this.

The reason they state Howell Gwyn being uncle to the Phillips is probably taken from the will of William Phillips, son of William and Elizabeth:
"And whereas my late Uncle Howell Gwynn dec’ed made me Sole Executor of his last Will and Testamt..."

Can I have opinions, please?

kiterunner
17-09-16, 13:19
Just to say, I did spend quite a while looking at this but didn't find anything to help yet.

ElizabethHerts
17-09-16, 13:22
Thanks, Kate, I appreciate your looking.

Unfortunately a lot of the PRs for the region don't start until the 1700s, so I can't find baptisms etc. However, the families are heavily documented, so I shall have to order some items.

The marriage settlement will be the first on the list.

ElizabethHerts
30-09-16, 12:12
I now have the will of Howell Gwyn 1701.
He was buried on 28th November 1701 at Llantwit-Juxta-Neath, Glamorgan.

As noted, his sole executor was his nephew William Phillips (junior).
His sister was Elizabeth Phillips.
He makes bequests to his nieces Ann Phillips and Rachell Eston (sic) wife of Thomas Eston gent. Rachell is OH's 6x-great-grandmother.

He mentions another niece, Mary Tapar. I haven't found the connection here yet.

kiterunner
30-09-16, 12:19
I don't suppose it says whether Mary was married or single?

ElizabethHerts
30-09-16, 12:44
No, Kate.

"I give unto my neece Mary Taper the summ of tenn pounds...."

All the others mentioned were children of Elizabeth Phillips, which is clear.
There was a daughter called Mary, but in 1702 her brother William Phillips was writing this in his will:
"Item I give and devise all those severall Messuages
Lands and Tenements in the severall Parishes of Landevoduck and
Langemer in the said County now or late in the tenure or occupation
of Jenkin Thomas and Howell Llewilin comonly called Ban Ogwr
unto my Sister Mary Williams and to the Heires of her body and for
want of such Issue to my owne right Heires for ever on condition that
she and her husband my brother William Williams their Executrs
and Administrators doe and shall within two monethes after my decease
release and discharge my Heires Executors and Admrs of and from a
debt of two hundred pounds that I owe to them or one of them otherwise"

However, I'm making good progress.

kiterunner
30-09-16, 17:11
So if it's the same Mary, she would have had to marry William Williams between the dates when the two wills were written. Or have you already found her marriage to William Williams?

ElizabethHerts
30-09-16, 17:24
Kate, I have found no marriages for this family. I don't think the PRs are very good for the location and time. Most of the information comes from wills or searching the local archives (Glamorgan) and the National Library of Wales.

The surname "Tapar" doesn't seem to feature much in Welsh records either!