PDA

View Full Version : Missing Will of Samuel Gurney

Lindsay
09-09-16, 18:19
I know Samuel Gurney made a Will, because his daughter's Will mentions property left to her 'in and by the last Will and Testament of Samuel Gurney my father'. However, I can't find it anywhere - or a burial for him which might help narrow down the date.

He lived close to Bierton and Hulcott in Buckinghamshire. He was still alive in 1713 when his father made his Will, and he's probably the Samuel Gurney listed under Hulcott in the list of voters for Aylesbury in 1722. He was dead by 1748 when his widow made her Will.

Can anyone find it anywhere?

Edit: I 've just realised I've put this in the wrong thread - it was supposed to be in Research! Could one of the mods move it please? Sorry about that.

Merry
09-09-16, 18:41
Don't know if this link will show the results of my search, but there's a Samuel Gurney of Buckingham, will proved 1747.

https://apps2.buckscc.gov.uk/ecommerce/WillsExternal/WillsExternalSearch.aspx

Don't know if that's near enough to where he was living?

kiterunner
09-09-16, 18:41
The Buckinghamshire Wills Database has a Samuel Gurney of Buckingham, 1747:

https://apps2.buckscc.gov.uk/ecommerce/willsexternal/willsexternalsearch.aspx

edit - snap, Merry!

Lindsay
09-09-16, 18:57
Aaagh, I think I must be losing it... I looked at that last night and discounted it because (I thought) I'd already bought it and it was the wrong person. I've just double-checked, and the one I bought was a completely different Gurney. Lesson: never trust your memory.

Time for a lie-down, just as soon as I've ordered the Will.

Thanks for your help.

Lindsay
24-09-16, 16:19
Well, the Will arrived and it's not my Samuel. My man was married to Elizabeth, this man leaves everything to his wife Mary - no mention of any children.

Back to the drawing board.

Merry
24-09-16, 17:38
Maybe he's another relative who will eventually be on your tree?

Lindsay
24-09-16, 18:22
Quite likely, Merry - it's a fairly unusual name.

Uncle John
29-09-16, 21:09
I seem to remember quite a crop of Gurneys in Luton when we lived there.