PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

KiwiChris
30-08-16, 06:45
Or are there fewer search choices on the 1939 register than there used to be? I am sure I have searched on date of birth in the past, but I don't seem to have that option any more.
I don't seem to have the option to put in other family members either, but the hints on searching says that is an option.

Or is there an advanced form of the advanced search that I am not finding??

Merry
30-08-16, 07:16
Yes there is an advanced search.

If you click 1939 Register in the blue bar at the top of the main search page, on the next page there is a field that says Advanced Search on the right just above the blue Search button.

Merry
30-08-16, 07:17
But just realised you said advanced, advanced search !

It's changed since yesterday for me!

KiwiChris
30-08-16, 07:20
But when I get there I only seem to have the option to put a birth year with no option for day or month, and I am sure (well I thought I was sure) that I have actually found someone who was hopelessly mistranscribed, by searching his actual date of birth

Merry
30-08-16, 07:20
There's been times before when they have played with the advanced search screen and we've all been up in arms, only for them to change it again (sometimes back to how it was before) after a couple of days.

I see they have 'got rid of' the option to search via the Piece and Page numbers, which I used yesterday to see if they had made the corrections to a dozen or so mis-indexed pages I first told them about last Nov (they hadn't!!).

KiwiChris
30-08-16, 07:21
So it is not just me then!

Merry
30-08-16, 07:22
The search tips at the bottom of the advanced search have not been changed, so maybe it's just a glitch?

KiwiChris
30-08-16, 07:26
That is where I thought I was going crazy! I shut it down and started again to see if it would come back!

I went the round about way of proving he had a wife by finding the probate for the suspected wife's father, and found him living at the vicarage occupied by the person I am researching!

I am looking at Anglo-Catholic Clergy at the moment and quite a number of them "never married" So I am always happy when I can prove a wife!

Merry
30-08-16, 07:30
So I am always happy when I can prove a wife!

lol!

Merry
30-08-16, 20:15
The advanced search seems to be working now.

KiwiChris
31-08-16, 05:19
The advanced search seems to be working now.

Yay, thanks, I will get back to the wife!

I am finding the 1939 great for this project as the people are younger than those in other projects, and a large number are still alive in 1939, so those still single in 1911 are often turning up with wives or are widowed in 1939, or there is proof that they "never married". :d