PDA

View Full Version : London vs. Middlesex

James18
23-08-16, 18:57
For me, one of the most frustrating aspects of writing up family trees is working out whether someone was born or died in London or Middlesex; there appear to be no genuine discernible borders between the two, and they are used interchangeably on both BMD listings and census records.

Is this something that others have noticed? I like to be consistent with these things, but I find it difficult in this instance. Any tips?

Nell
23-08-16, 19:20
Not only that, but some roads, like Middlesex Street (Petticoat Lane if we are being informal) belong to Middlesex on one side of the street & the City of London on the other!

Seriously, you may find the London & Middlesex sections of Genuki's guide to BMD Districts helpful:

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/

Merry
23-08-16, 19:27
I've been trying to find a map to explain what I mean, but this (rubbish) one is the best I can find:

http://middlesexcountypress.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/middlesexmap21.jpg

The green part I would call Middlesex up until the county was abolished (in the 1960s??). Also, if you look at the small orange blob in the middle - that is the City of London and the white area around that on the north side of the Thames I would also say was Middlesex until the County of London was created in...erm... about 1890? (1889?)

I'm not saying that's correct, it's just the system I use on my tree :D

Nell
23-08-16, 19:42
Mind you, definitions can be tricky. My brother was born in Sanderstead according to his birth certificate and died in the same house, 53 years later. The death cert gives the same road, but the address as South Croydon, as the Post Office insists this is right. Meanwhile, South Croydon and Sanderstead are two distinct areas, with their own railway stations.

HarrysMum
24-08-16, 00:23
I'd like someone to sort Bristol....... :)

Merry
02-09-16, 08:36

lol Libby! I gave up on that years ago and now put Gloucestershire for all Bristol addresses!

James18
02-09-16, 12:49

lol Libby! I gave up on that years ago and now put Gloucestershire for all Bristol addresses!
I wish the Bristol archives would get round to putting their stuff on Ancestry! I have so many baptism, marriage and burial records that I'd like to see - and add as sources - but whilst the Gloucestershire archives are available, the Bristol ones aren't. ;(

Merry
02-09-16, 12:56
I have spent a lot of money purchasing copies of marriage records from Bristol RO but most of them have been a waste of time as hardy any Bristol vicars seemed to care about the marital condition of the bride and groom or which parish they were from :(:(:(

Uncle John
09-09-16, 19:33
As far as my tree is concerned, I record people's addresses as found. For example, I have a Lanarkshire family from the Strathaven (prononced Straven) area. In one early census the location is Avondale.

Kit
09-09-16, 23:57
James no you are not alone. I record addresses as I find them but when searching I look under both London and Middlesex, regardless of where other documents say they were.

I have poor knowledge of English geography which can sometimes help as I am not hindered by knowing something is close, or far away form, the area I am trying to look at.

I am getting better though.

Merry
10-09-16, 07:11
The main reason I try and standardise addresses as far as possible is that my tree program tells me who else I have at the same address/street/area etc but it can't do that if I have the street name spelled differently or listed in a slightly different area/county etc.

I also standardise name spellings (though I do make notes about the way names are spelled on specific records if different) because I wouldn't have any chance of finding people on my tree if I had to remember how their names were spelled!