PDA

View Full Version : Help would be appreciated with this one

Val in Oz
19-12-09, 04:26
I have a Richard Truby who was a cigar maker born c.1837

In the 1871 census he is recorded under the spelling SAUBY
with his wife Emma Rachel and two children Frederick John and Charles Thomas - Richard is aged 34 born Bethnal Green

In the 1861 census they are living in 26 Acorn St St Botolph Bishopsgate
Richard is 21 a cigar maker born Bethnal Green
Emmas 20 and son Richard 2

I would like to find Richard in either the 1851 or 1841 so I can discover the names of his parents. However he is proving elusive. I have been unable to find a birth or baptism for him at Bethnal Green either.

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated - I have ancestry premium so can access the LMA - but so far - no luck. Where am I going wrong?

Val in Oz
19-12-09, 04:53
I have been searching more census and discovered him in the 1901 - but no luck with 1881 or 1891
The 1901 showed me he had remarried to a Frances Anderson. I have found this marriage entry in 1890 and it shows his father is also a Richard Truby - a weaver (dec)
But there is no sign of his father in the earlier census either. What could TRUBY have been transcribed as do you think? After SAUBY I am open to any suggestions!

HarrysMum
19-12-09, 08:12
Have a look at 1851 for Richard Truly born 1839 Bethnal Green.

Not sure if that helps...

Val in Oz
19-12-09, 08:48
Yes Libby, thankyou, I am sure that would be the family. Maybe that is Elizabeth's mother with them, in which case that could be her maiden name, although I haven't been able to find a marriage for them using that surname. I think it is Cosswele or Casswele

Now why hadn't I thought of Truly - I had thought up several variations, but not that one.
and I still cant find them on the 1841

Merry
19-12-09, 08:52
If you have the LMA records you may need new spectacles! lol

Isn't that his marriage in 1858 to Emma Rachel Gillman? Says his father is also Richard, a tobacco cutter.

Merry
19-12-09, 09:04
Erm, I think Richard senr must have had a different spelling for his death!

Merry
19-12-09, 09:06
I think Richard had a sister called Elizabeth Ann who married Joseph Eagle in 1862 (from memory as I don't have much elbow room searching and typing whilst in bed sandwiched between my two children!! It's freezing here this morning)

HarrysMum
19-12-09, 09:08
Can't find them in 1841.

Merry
19-12-09, 09:09
I have been searching more census and discovered him in the 1901 - but no luck with 1881 or 1891
The 1901 showed me he had remarried to a Frances Anderson. I have found this marriage entry in 1890 and it shows his father is also a Richard Truby - a weaver (dec)
But there is no sign of his father in the earlier census either. What could TRUBY have been transcribed as do you think? After SAUBY I am open to any suggestions!

Whoops, my eyes must be bad too, as I didn't even see this post at all!

HarrysMum
19-12-09, 09:11
I'll have a look in in the morning.....I must get off this computer.

The shoulder..........

Merry...I hope OH is making a cuppa for you.....lol

Merry
19-12-09, 09:16
Yes Libby and a bowl of cereal *slops bowl* lol

Val in Oz
19-12-09, 09:34
............polishes off spectacles........mine and Merry's

Brekkie in bed Merry? ...wipes crumbs off keyboard

I think that Richard married twice as in the 1901 he is married to Frances. Was married to Emma Rachel Gillman first and they had quite a few children which I have found the baptisms for.
Yes I did think that Elizabeth Ann who married Joseph Eagle was his sister - I compared the signatures on her marriage record and her witness siggie on Richard's marriage to Emma and they seemed similar, well similar enough.

The only fly in the ointment are the two given occupations for his Father - Richard, first as a weaver and then as a tobacco cutter. Would the weaving industry be dying out by then, so a change would be necessary do you think?

Blows some of our heat over to Merry, phew, it's blinky hot here...could do with some of your cold please

Merry
19-12-09, 09:55
I wanted to get Elizabeth's place of birth as she seems to have been born close the the 1841 census, but I can't find her after her marriage. Have you found her?

*accepts heat gratefully*

Merry
19-12-09, 10:00
I expect she exagerated her age at marriage as there's a birth reg in 1843 in Bethnal Green district. *moves on to 1851....*

Val in Oz
19-12-09, 10:02
Bethnal Green - Merry

Val in Oz
19-12-09, 10:35
Am off to bed, but I shall be back on in the morning.........................tries dragging computer, modem, etc etc into bedroom so I can "do a Merry" in the morning....lol

............wonders if OH would oblige with brekkie in bed.........:D

Many thanks for your help so far

Merry
19-12-09, 13:32
In 1861 there's this on FMP:

TRUBY, Elizabeth 1817 44 F Shoreditch London, Middlesex
TRUBY, Elizabeth 1842 19 F Shoreditch London, Middlesex

From prodding the FMP index I think they are both in the same household and appear to both be listed as unmarried (which seems unlikely, perhaps?) Anyway, I can't find them on Ancestry.

Merry
19-12-09, 13:42
Oooh, got them now. It looks likely this is Elizabeth Ann and her mother, but the older Eliz is listed as unmarried, but I suppose she might be a widow and that could be a mistake (or maybe Mr Truby didn't exist??!)

The head of house is a tobacconist and Elizabeths senr is a silk weaver and her dau a silk winder, so that fits both ways....

RG9; Piece: 240; Folio: 14; Page: 33

They are listed as Fenby!

Merry
19-12-09, 13:44
I notice Eliz junr is listed as 'dau' which should be dau of the head of house, but I expect it just means she is the housekeeper's daughter.

Val in Oz
19-12-09, 20:36
'Fenby'...shakes head in amazement

Thankyou Merry, I shall follow that up today. I am most grateful to you and Libby for setting me off in those new directions. Hopefully I shall be able to 'reel them in' now.

Amazing what different pairs of eyes can find

Merry
19-12-09, 21:14
Sorry - my post about the 1861 probably made little sense, as I hadn't realised Libby had already found them on the 1851!