PDA

View Full Version : Get it right!

Phoenix
10-08-16, 17:38
I knew from the family that Alice Turner married a Mr Coombes and I thought she had a daughter Dorothy.

Well, I found Frederick and Alice Coombes in Crofton, Hampshire, having children, found them on the 1911 census.

Dorothy was born in 1914, mmn Turner.

Looking today at the 1939 register, Alice was next door to her brother and sister, with Dorothy, now married, living with her. The other children had been older, of course.

Then I did a double take. Alice was married to William, not Frederick.....

Who would have thought that two brothers would both marry girls called Alice:D

What is really humiliating is that I have noted that Alice's husband is called William, and not noted that Alice was actually living, childless in 1911, with my grandma :rolleyes:

It's a good job we only do this for fun :o

Merry
10-08-16, 18:37
lol!

That reminds me of several years ago when I was researching some family I the 1880s-ish. The bride to be was living with her parents a month before the wedding and the lodger (fairly uncommon name) was her first cousin who she would soon marry. It was only a couple of year later when the 1891 census was released that I realised she hadn't married the lodger, but another more distant cousin of the same name who lived over 200 miles from her family home! :rolleyes: