PDA

View Full Version : William Smith

Anstey Nomad
31-07-16, 13:59
A man of whom I know nothing.

On 20 January 1881, he married my great great grandmother Annie Goadby at the Register Office in Leeds. He said he was 35 years old, a bachelor and a shoe finisher. He said his father was James Smith, deceased, a shoe maker.

The Registrar was George Beckwith and one of the witnesses was W H Beckwith (son of George). Annie's grandmother was born a Beckwith, but whether this is only coincidence. I just don't know.

This is the family in the 1881 census, at 2, Greaves Place, Hunslet:

William H Chapman 32 Head Shoemaker Leics Market Harborough
Annie E Chapman 30 Wife Nottingham
William Chapman 9 Son Scholar Leicester
Joseph Chapman 8 Son Scholar Leicester
Mary Anne Whitworth 4 Visitor Scholar Leicester

I know that this is the right family, despite the name change, because Mary Anne is documented elsewhere as Annie's niece. The boys' surname was actually Goadby.

Those are the only sightings of William that I have. By December 1883, the presumption is that he is dead, because Annie Smith, widow, was back in Leicester, marrying Samuel Riley at St Matthew's.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to identify William Smith, where I have failed.

Thank you.

Merry
31-07-16, 15:08
This won't help identify him!

Best fit:

Deaths Jun 1883
Smith William 35 Hunslet 9b 185

Merry
31-07-16, 15:09
Did she have any children with Wm?

Anstey Nomad
31-07-16, 15:59
That death looks like him (minus the H), although he's 35 on the 1881 Marriage Certificate.

They had two children; Arthur Henry Smith (DQ 1881 Hunslet), who lived and eventually took over the family shop, and William Ernest (DQ 1882 Leicester), who died 27 February 1883 aged 4 months.

Arthur appears on the censuses with his mother up to, and including 1911.

Merry
31-07-16, 18:40
Oh, so if the last child was born in Leicester Wm may have died there and not in Hunslet.

Back in Hunslet there's also this one if he was being more accurate at the wedding!

Deaths Sep 1882
Smith William 37 Hunslet 9b 177

There are a few deaths in Leicester but none are in their 30s :o

Merry
31-07-16, 18:44
That Sept 1882 death seems best because then Annie is widowed, then goes home, then has baby...... rather than leaves husband, has baby, is widowed.......

Anstey Nomad
31-07-16, 21:38
If William was four months old in February 1883, he would have been born around October 1882 and conceived at the beginning of that year. Doesn't that exclude the SQ 1882 death?

Mary from Italy
31-07-16, 23:20
Just had a quick look, and I can't see anything obvious.

She and Samuel didn't stay together long, did they? She always seems to be shown as married on the censuses, but they aren't together, although it looks as though they had at least two children: the Annie Riley on the 1891 census, and a Ross Ernest Riley who was born and died between censuses.

I found Annie senior's burial at Welford Road; she was buried with her mother and various Goadbys and Rileys, including Ross.

Merry
01-08-16, 05:43
If William was four months old in February 1883, he would have been born around October 1882 and conceived at the beginning of that year. Doesn't that exclude the SQ 1882 death?

If we say he was conceived in about Feb 1882 I can't see a problem with his father dying before the end of June.

Anstey Nomad
01-08-16, 07:03
I don't know which year is which any more. This thread is supposed to be an antidote to high levels of stress at home, but I'm not sure it's working :)

Thanks Mary, that's the family grave at Welford Road. Annie's daughter Sarah Ann Moir is in the adjacent plot.

kiterunner
01-08-16, 17:08
There is a family at No 10, Mill Street, Leicester St Margaret in 1851:
James Smith Head Mar 28 Shoe Maker Henley in Arden, Warwickshire
Mary A Do Wife Mar 27 Shoe Binder Leicester
William Do Son 6 Do
John E Do Son 4 Do
Alfred Do Son 1 Do

Just trying to trace them forwards - UK Census Online is listing this James as being age 35 and still in Leicestershire in 1861, but I haven't found the entry on ancestry or FMP yet.

kiterunner
01-08-16, 17:34
1871 census for that family (I assume):
13 Junior St, Leicester
James Smith Head Married 48 Shoemaker Warwick
Ann Do Daur Unm 18 Worsted Spinner Leicester
Isaac Do Son 16 Shoe Finisher Do
Emma Do Daur 14 None Do
Alfred Do Son 10 Scholar Do
Elizth Do Daur 8 Do Do

So this is them in 1861, same address as in 1871:
James Smith Head Mar 39 Shoe maker Warwick, Henly in Arden
Mary Ann Do Wife Mar 37 Binder Leicester
William Do Son Un 16 Shoe maker Do
John Do Son 14 Trimmer Do
Ann Do Daur 8 Scholar Mt Harboro
Isaac Do Son 6 Do Leicester
Emma Do Daur 4 Do Do
Alfred Do Son 1 mo Do

Interesting that Ann's birthplace is down as Market Harborough.

Now to see whether this James is still alive in 1881...

kiterunner
01-08-16, 17:45
I can't find that James Smith in 1881 and there are a few possible death registrations for him between 1871 and 1881.

Merry
02-08-16, 07:55
I found two possible Wm Smiths in 1871 to fit the details given for the man in the censuses posted by Kate. One was married to Susan with two daughters, Sarah aged 2 and Mary aged 3 months. They appear in 1881 with those children and some more, so one Wm eliminated. The other one is:

11 Morledge St Leicester

William Smith lodger unm 27 Shoe rivitter b Leicester

the rest of the household is a family named Eayrs but I doubt that is the correct spelling!

I couldn't find Mary Ann Smith in 1871.

Anstey Nomad
12-07-23, 19:57
Oh, so if the last child was born in Leicester Wm may have died there and not in Hunslet.

Back in Hunslet there's also this one if he was being more accurate at the wedding!

Deaths Sep 1882
Smith William 37 Hunslet 9b 177

There are a few deaths in Leicester but none are in their 30s :o

For completeness, and after a very long time. This is the one. William Smith aged 37 shoe maker. PM showed he died of an aortic aneurysm. Poor Annie had two husbands die on her in a little less than five years and both suddenly. What are the chances?

Janet
16-07-23, 21:55
Poor Annie indeed. Glad you finally found satisfaction, AN. That family are 2 and a half miles from my grandma on the 1881. :)

Anstey Nomad
17-07-23, 14:48
@Janet, then you might be interested in this website, which has images of all the old houses in Leeds that were lost to slum clearance.

www.leodis.net

Janet
18-07-23, 04:08
Thanks for that reminder, AN. It's been a decade or more since I discovered that site and got lost in all the old photos, but lately I've neglected it. I see they've got a fair bit of new stuff too, so I will go back and lose myself again!