PDA

View Full Version : Family Search Indexing Project 15th - 17th July

ElizabethHerts
03-07-16, 12:13
For 72 hours. I have signed up. I wonder what quality of transcription will result?

I hope this link works:
https://familysearch.org/worldsrecords?et_cid=51324887&et_rid=847153067&linkid=CTA1&cid=em-WWIE%202016-4855

kiterunner
03-07-16, 13:07
It will mostly be existing indexers who take part, Elizabeth, and all transcriptions are checked by "arbitrators" so the quality should be the same as usual.

ElizabethHerts
03-07-16, 13:10
I was contacted and invited to join in. I have chosen the area of West Sussex to transcribe.

Kate, hopefully the transcriptions will be fairly accurate then.

kiterunner
03-07-16, 13:12
Glad to hear you're taking part, Elizabeth.

Jill
03-07-16, 18:13
Hoping to join you for the West Sussex transcriptions Elizabeth.

ElizabethHerts
03-07-16, 18:37
That would be great, Jill.

Sue from Southend
04-07-16, 19:10
So I've download the software to take part in this and I think I've opted for Essex - not entirely sure though :d

I have done some indexing for Ancestry (but not recently) and the basic software looks very similar so fingers crossed I'll be able to make a worthwhile contribution.

ElizabethHerts
15-07-16, 11:49
This project has started today, but I can't get going as I keep getting an error message. "An error has occurred during startup". It relates to Java and exe4j. :(

Sue from Southend
15-07-16, 14:02
Elizabeth, I've managed to get started on UK Probate records which were classed as suitable for beginners. However I'm already finding that my batch is different to those in the samples and I'm doubting whether I'm doing it right! Not to mention that I m very aware that these records are already available elsewhere and it seems a bit of a waste of time on sunny day!

ElizabethHerts
15-07-16, 14:16
Sue, that seems like a pointless exercise! I wanted to do West Sussex parish registers, but I doubt I shall do any at all now unless I can resolve the software problem. Still, I can do my transcribing for Cornwall OPC as I have records for Probus to transcribe.

kiterunner
15-07-16, 14:23
The FamilySearch index to the probate records is going to include the executors' and spouses' names as well as the testators'. FMP's index does have them too but FamilySearch's should be much easier to search.

kiterunner
15-07-16, 14:36
I don't see any West Sussex projects on the list.

ElizabethHerts
15-07-16, 15:05
There were when I registered, Kate.

Sue from Southend
15-07-16, 15:39
I can't remember how they worded it but we had a drop down list to choose from of areas that we were "interested" in, I put Essex but at the time I wasn't sure that I'd be indexing Essex records. I have started these Probate records to get used to the system but may move onto something more rewarding ......

Mary from Italy
15-07-16, 16:53
The FamilySearch index to the probate records is going to include the executors' and spouses' names as well as the testators'. FMP's index does have them too but FamilySearch's should be much easier to search.

And it's free.