View Full Version : William Mortlock

Margaret in Burton
18-12-09, 08:10
Name - "official" name and what they were known as

William Mortlock

Date and place of birth

2nd April 1854 in Shimpling, Suffolk

Names of parents

George Mortlock (http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4120) and Frances Jane Woodgate (http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4424)

Date and place of baptism

9th July 1854 at St George's, Shimpling, Suffolk

Details of each of his or her marriages

28th September 1874 at St Mary's, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk to Alice Flack (http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2327)

Occupation(s)

Agricultural Labourer in Suffolk then a Farmer and locally well known bottler of beer, off licence and shop owner of 178 Thornley Street, Burton on Trent, Staffordshire

Military service

none

Addresses where they lived

1854 to 1874, Shimpling, Suffolk
1874 to 1879, Stapenhill, Derbyshire (now Staffordshire)
1880 to 1923, 178 Thornley Street, Burton on Trent, Staffordshire

Date, place and cause of death

27 February 1923 at 178 Thornley Street, Burton on Trent, Staffordshire - cause- Epilepsy, Myocardial Degeneration and Syncope

Date and place of burial / cremation.

2 March 1923 at St John the Divine, Horninglow, Burton on Trent, Staffordshire

Details of will / administration of their estate

I William Mortlock of number 178 Thornley Street in the County Borough of Burton upon Trent Grocer and Ale Merchant hereby revoke all former wills and testamentary dispositions made be me and declare this to be my last will.
1. I appoint my friends James Arthur Shaw of Eton Road Burton upon Trent aforesaid Grocer and Proviosion Merchant and Arthur E Tricklebank of Waterloo Street Burton upon Trent aforesaid Grocer and Provision Merchant (hereinafter called "My Trustees") to the the EXECUTORS and Trustees of this my will.
2.I give to each of them the said James Arthur Shaw and Arthue E Tricklebank the legacy or sum of ten pounds as an acknowledgment of his trouble in acting in the executorship and trusteeship of this my will.
3 I give device and bequeath all the residue of my real and personal estate unto my trustees their heirs executors and administrators according to the nature thereof
(a) Upon trust that they shall allow my wife Alice Mortlock so long as she shall desire to reside at number 178 Thornley Street aforesaid and (subject as hereinafter mentioned) to carry on my businesses of a Grocer and Ale Merchant or either of them and to take the net profits thereof for her own benefit and for the purpose of carrying on the said businesses or either of them to occupy any premises which I may occupy or which belong to me at my death and to employ or use all my live and dead stock and implements without being liable for any loss or damage to the same and to use such parts of my personal estate as capital in the said businesses or either of them as my trustees shall from time to time in their absolute discretion deem reasonable and subject to the last mentioned trust (b) Upon trust that my trustees shall as soon as conveniently may be after my death shall call in convert into money such parts of my personal estate as shall not consist of money or of investments authorised by law and sell my real estate in such manner and subject to such terms and conditions as my trustees shall think fit. Provided always and I declare that notwithstanding the power hereinbefore given to my said wife to carry on my said businesses my trustees shall have full discretionary power in the event of their being satisfied that the said businesses or either of them are or is occuring loss to my estate to forthwith sell lease or otherwise dispose of or deal with the name in such manner as they shall think expedient.
4. Out of the moneys to arise from such sale calling in and aversion as aforesaid and gthe ready money of which I may be possessed at my death my trustees shall pay my funeral and testamentary expenses and debts and shall invest the residue of the said moneys in their names in any of the forms of investments for the time being authorised by law for the investment of trust funds with power to vary such investments at their discretion and shall stand possessed of such investments and of any parts of my real and personal estate for the time being unconverted (hereinafter called "My residuary estate") (a) Upon trust to pay the net income tereof to my said wife during her life and after her death (b) Upon trust to pay the legacy or sum of one hundred pounds (free of duty) to my daughter Edith Fanny Mortlock (c) To pay one equal sixth part of the residue of the capital and income of my residuary estate to each of my two sons Albert Thomas Mortlock and William George Mortlock (d) Tp pay and divide the remainder thereof unto and equally between my daughters Beatrice May Yates, Alice Jane Newey and Edith Fanny Mortlock.
5. Provided always and I declare that if ant child of mine shall die in my lifetime leaving issue living at my death such issue shall take and if more than one equally between them the share which his her or their parent would have taken under title my will if such parent had survived me.
6. I delare that my trustees shall have the fullest power and discretion to postpone the sale calling in and conversion of any part of my real or personal estate including property of a terminable or wasting nature during such period as they shall in their uncontrolled discretion think fit and to retain the name or any part thereof in its present form of investment without being responsible for loss and that the rents profits and income of such part of my estate as for the time being shall remain unsold after payment thereout of all rents rates taxes costs of insurance repairs and management and other outgoings shall as well during the first year after my death as afterwards be applied as if the same were income arising from investments of the nature herein authorised to be made of the proceeds of sale thereof and that my trustees my insure repair and generally manage any real or leasehold properties for the time being held by them and in particular may let or lease or agree to let or lease the same for any term not exceeding twenty one years at the best rent to be reasonably obtained without taking a fine
7. The Statutory Power of appointment of new trustees or a new trustee of this my will shall be exercisable to my said wife during her life IN WITNESS whereof I have hereunto set my hand this twentieth day of December one thousand nine hundred and twenty one - WILLIAM MORTLOCK - Signed by the said testator William Mortlock as and for his last will and testament in the presence and in the presence of us both being present at the same time who at his request in his presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses - A E WOODWARD - A J MARSHALL - clerks to Messrs Talbot Stein Evershed & Argyle Solicitors Burton on Trent.

Probate granted on the 2nd day of May 1923 to Charles Jasmes shaw and Arthur Eldred Tricklebank the executors

(Charles James Shaw is called James Arthur Shaw in the will.

Estate

Gross - £1640 - 3 - 8
Net - £1176 - 3 - 9

Memorial inscription

Yes, but it is broken, just inscribed with his name and dates

Obituary Burton Daily Mail -

Wed 28th February 1923

It is with deep regret that we have to record the death which took place at his residence in Thornley Street yesterday of Mr William Mortlock. At the age of 68, although the deceased gentleman had been ailing for some time his death comes as a great surprise to his wide circle of friends.
Coming to Burton something like 50 years ago. Mr Mortlock worked at Messrs Allsopps and later with Messrs Bass & Co. before entering business as a Grocer and Bottler 40 years ago. He also acquired a farm. Part of which is now occupied by the Eton Road Allotments and the Mortlock Allotment Association which was named after him. Mr Mortlock never took an active part in municipal affairs but he was an Oddfellow of 50 years standing, being a member of the Royal Stanhope Lodge. He was exceedingly well known in the district and his genial personality will be much missed. He leaves a widow who has been an invalid for the past 35 years, two sons and three daughters. The funeral will take place at 1.30pm at Horninglow on Friday.

Link to daughter: Alice Jane Mortlock (http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10863)