PDA

View Full Version : Moxley,Redman & Trenley

vita
26-06-16, 13:56
Could someone please tell me if I've interpreted this correctly?

From the National Archives - Release and Conveyance, Ref D-W/9/14

Description: Moxley, Raynor, and Richard Barnes of Denham, gardener, to

Trenley.

Reciting Settlement, 11/12 May 1700, Hannah Redman, widow, and Moxley

(then Trenley) to Raynor and Barnes, on Moxley's marriage to Peter Moxley;

of a cottage in Denham town(occupied by Richard Woodhouse, and later by

John Alden) to use of Hannah Redman and Hannah and Peter Moxley for

their respective lives, with remainder to Raynor and Barnes.

Now Moxley wishing to settle the same on her only daughter Hannah, aged 15,

the trustees, at her request, have caused messrs John and James Gaylor of

Denham to value the cottage, which they find worth £50; Robert, Edward and

Martha Trenley, and Hannah and Hannah Moxley each have a one fifth share

in it, and Edward has purchased the shares of Robert and Martha,(now wife

of Thomas Lack of Denham, carpenter) for £10 apiece, and has consented to

purchase the whole to secure the £20 that will ultimately be due to his sister

in law Hannah Moxley.

For these considerations the cottage is conveyed to Edward Trenley absolutely,

subject to the sum of £20 payable to Hannah Moxley junior.

Date: 28 November 1716'

I had decided that Hannah Moxley snr was previously Hannah Trenley,

mother of Edward, and now remarried to Peter Moxley. That would make

15 yr old Hannah jnr Edward's step sister, but he refers to her as his sister

in law. Could the two terms have been interchangeable at that time?

kiterunner
26-06-16, 14:35
Couldn't she be Edward's half-sister? And yes, "sister in law" could mean "stepsister" at that time.

vita
26-06-16, 14:55
Yes, she could Kite & I thought it might also mean "stepsister." So one generation

further back was Hannah Redman, mother of Hannah Moxley snr. That's my earliest

so far!

vita
28-06-16, 15:45
I need a bit more help with this one, please. I can't find Hannah Trenley's first husband,

father of Edward. I think she may have been the daughter of Edward Redman & Hanna

Titnall who married in Uxbridge in 1653. Both Hannah & her mother were widows by 1693.

Merry
28-06-16, 16:02
is it the Denham in Bucks?

vita
28-06-16, 16:12
is it the Denham in Bucks?

Sorry Merry - yes it is. Edward Redman's note on marriage details says he

was from Denham although married in Uxbridge.

Merry
28-06-16, 16:23
Probably a mis-transcription for her husband's surname?

First name(s) Hannah
Last name Redman
Name note -
Marriage year 1682
Marriage date 18 Sep 1682
Marriage place Denham By Uxbridge
Spouse's first name(s) John
Spouse's last name Trendall
County Buckinghamshire
Country England
Record set England Marriages 1538-1973
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Marriages & divorces
Collections from Great Britain

vita
28-06-16, 19:04
Thanks so much Merry - that must be my Hannah.

Ranwell
14-08-17, 22:57
Hi Vita
I am descended from Robert Trenley of Harefield who died 1742. He was born about 1686 and married Jane Hill whose family had land in Harefield and at some point in Denham too. They had only 3 surviving daughters so the name dies with them.
I do not know if this Robert is the one mentioned in Hannah Moxley's will, but the dates fit well, and Harefield and Denham are close.
Have you come across a Robert.
David

vita
15-08-17, 09:24
Hi David - thanks for joining & contacting me. I have indeed come across a Robert - I am

descended from Edward Trenley who kept the Falcon Inn at Denham with his mother

Hannah in the early 1800s. Edward had a younger brother Robert & a sister Martha (see

this post)

The name Hill is definitely familiar - from memory, I believe it was the name of the agent

who represented the landowning Way family in their dealings with the Tenleys.

My OH is disabled & I'm a bit tied up today but I'll have some time tomorrow & will dig

out my research on the families.

I've no objection to anyone joining in here if you're OK with it. I'm not that experienced

but these guys are brilliant & responsible for finding my Trenley ancestors in the first

place.

Vita.

Ranwell
16-08-17, 23:29
Thanks Vita anything you may have could be the clue I need.
At the National Archives I went through wills from Denham in the hope of finding a clue, but there was nothing. I was also hoping that cousins might later leave something to a cousin, but still no luck.
I think I will make a trip to Buckingham Archives in Aylesbury to do further research as they have lots of papers relating to the families.
David

vita
17-08-17, 16:26
Hi David - as I thought, Hill was the name of the agent representing local landowner

Benjamin Way in his dealings with the Trenleys. Was your Jane from the wealthy Hill

family of that area? I see they produced MPs etc & would be surprised if they married into

my Trenleys who seem to have acquired some land but were far from wealthy.

However, Trenley is a fairly unusual name & as you say, the dates are right.

I'm not sure what you're actually looking for - my Robert being yours as well, perhaps?

I'm afraid I don't have any more info on him,although I do on his siblings, but if you say

what might help I'm sure someone here will offer some suggestions.

I hope we do turn out to be related - I haven't been too successful in that area so far!

Vita.

Merry
17-08-17, 20:19
my Robert being yours as well, perhaps

How can that be, if David's Robert died in 1742 , but yours was the younger brother of Edward who was running the Falcon Inn in the early 1800s?

EDIT - Oh, in another thread you have your Edward running the Falcon Inn before 1729?? So 100 years earlier!! That's better - I thought I was going mad! :D:D:D

vita
17-08-17, 20:38
How can that be, if David's Robert died in 1742 , but yours was the younger brother of Edward who was running the Falcon Inn in the early 1800s?

EDIT - Oh, in another thread you have your Edward running the Falcon Inn before 1729?? So 100 years earlier!! That's better - I thought I was going mad! :D:D:D

No Merry - not you, but me going mad as usual. Sorry!

I think David's Robert is a strong contender to be mine but would like to know

more about Jane Hill. As I say, THE Hills of Denham/Harefield weren't short of

a bob or two whereas my Trenleys were lowly husbandmen/yeomen.

Ranwell
21-08-17, 00:02
Hi Vita
I have just seen a baptism on findmypast for Robert Trunly son of John & Hannah in 1686!
The exact year i expected because when Robert Trenley was buried at Harefield 4 Oct 1741 ( sorry i said 1742 before) he was 55.
So we are related, yes?
So I am pretty certain this is right age and place near to Harefield.
The Hills do seem to have had property. Robert's wife Jane Hill was daughter of John who died 1699. His widow died 1732 and apparently left a will (which I cannot find) and a case in chancery ensued the next year or 2 between Jane and some of her siblings against a younger brother Benjamin Hill and another Thomas Hill.
The Hills have been a great game of research for me the last 2 years, only chancery, wills & estate duty have ascertained connections as the surname is just too common.
David

vita
21-08-17, 16:17
Well, hello cousin !!!!!!! Looks like your Robert was my 8xg/uncle.

I've done quite a bit of research on the Trenleys & it seems they were quite canny in

business matters, according to the Hill who was agent for Benjamin Way. I've also got

the wills of Hannah Trenley & her father Edward Redman if you're interested. Later

generations contain some characters you may like to hear about & I'd love to know more

about Robert & Jane. I also have a Mary Trenley m a William Hill in the 1790s with my

4xg/grandfather Isaac Headland as witness - I wonder if you have anything on that?

PM me if you would like to exchange info.

Vita.