PDA

View Full Version : Take one Great-Grandparent week 6 18 Dec -24 Dec 2009

kiterunner
18-12-09, 07:40
This week, we are focussing on your Mother's mother's father.

If you want to take part, just start a new thread on this board and put your great-grandfather's name in the Title. If you don't know his name then put whatever you like in the title! Copy the following form and fill in the answers that you already have, then over the course of the next week you try to fill in the blanks and everyone else helps you. If you're lucky enough to have all the information already, then you can still post it up if you want, so that search engines can pick it up. Or use your partner's great-grandfather instead.

Can you fill in all of the following information about that person:

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Date and place of birth
Names of parents
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
Occupation(s) - if any
Military service - if any
Addresses where they lived - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on.
Date, place and cause of death
Date and place of burial / cremation.
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Memorial inscription - if any

Adoptive or step-great-grandparents welcome! If your great-grandparent is still alive then sit that week out or use your partner's great-grandparent instead.

This week can each person please just post up one thread - either your own great-grandparent or your partner's.

If you're lucky enough to have all the information already, then you can still post it up if you want, so that search engines can pick it up.

ElizabethHerts
18-12-09, 08:57
KiteRunner - I wasn't around for the earlier rounds (having only joined GF recently). Can I still post my ancestors for earlier weeks, or is it too late?

Also, I'm adding my ancestors. Do we add two per week if we want to do our OH's ancestors (i.e. our MMF and his MMF) or do we wait for another time?

kiterunner
18-12-09, 09:20
Sorry, it's too late to add ancestors for previous weeks, but we may well be repeating it at a future date for people who missed it the first time round. Same goes for if you want to add your OH's ancestors - only one per week, either yours or your OH's. The first week we did allow two, but we were just overwhelmed with the number of threads and couldn't keep up with them all so changed it to one per person.

ElizabethHerts
18-12-09, 09:28
KiteRunner, that's fine. As long as I know what I'm doing! :d (I think it would be rather a struggle trying to get both sides of the family sorted!)

BTW - I really like this forum - it really concentrates the mind and makes me check I have as much information as possible on each person.

Jill
18-12-09, 12:31
I'm finding the discipline of checking everything in an orderly way very helpful as what I know isn't always in one place so the gaps aren't obvious.

Thankyou GF for such a good idea.

Nell
20-12-09, 13:54
My mother's mother's father was John David Robert Smoothy and I posted his details in the first week when I hadn't realised we were doing a specific ggg.