PDA

View Full Version : Hershey chocolates

geniebug
15-06-16, 23:41
Could anyone please tell me the names of the family of Milton Hershey of chocolate fame in America (Born: September 13, 1857, Derry Township, Pennsylvania, United States). I believe his parents were Fanny Snavely Hershey & Henry Hershey.

I have a spare Anne Hershey born about 1717 who married a Herman Long. Anne had a daughter Catharina Long born 1735 Lancaster Co. PA. I wondered if she might have been related somehow.

I guess not.

kiterunner
16-06-16, 08:31
Have a look at this public ancestry tree as it includes both Milton and Anna:
http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/19226238/person/772916373/facts

geniebug
16-06-16, 10:22
Thks Kite, but I don't have ancestry and don't want to take out a trial.

I am not familiar with Canadian or American fh (searching it I mean).

kiterunner
16-06-16, 10:51
Well, according to that tree (and lots of others on ancestry, although of course they could be wrong), Anna Hershey, who married Herman Long, was the daughter of Christian Hershey and Adelheid Stauffer. Different trees show different birthplaces for her, some in Europe, some in the US.

The same tree shows Milton Snavely Hershey as the son of Henry Hershey Hershey and Veronica Fannie Buckwalter Snavely, with the Hershey line going back from Henry as follows: Jacob Frantz Hershey (1802-1877), Isaac Hernley Hershey (1773-1831), Christian Hershey (1719-1782), Benjamin Stauffer Hershey (1696-1789), with Benjamin being another child of Christian Hershey and Adelheid Stauffer. All born in the USA till you get back to Benjamin who is shown as being born in Germany.

If this is correct then Milton was Anna's 4-g-nephew, but you would need to check the accuracy of all the information. If you don't want to use ancestry (and don't have access to it at a library or FamilySearch centre) then you would probably be best to check on FamilySearch. They do have a lot of US records and trees.

geniebug
16-06-16, 11:19
Thanks for that Kite.
Amazingly I am related to Secords who also make chocolate, and I know a distant cousin from the US sent me chocs, I couldn't remember if they were Secord chocs or Hershey.
I'll make a note of what you said, and try and confirm it - thanks for your help.