PDA

View Full Version : Value of artworks.

HarrysMum
09-06-16, 09:25
I have an auction catalogue from 1840 which lists the contents of Myles Ariel's house in Bristol. It looks like the entire contents including a Crown Derby dinner set.........you have no idea how much I want that...lol

Anyhow..... the paintings are what interests me most at the moment. I'm sure they are originals because there is another section for "Prints".

I'm just wondering what they would have been worth in 1840.

Raphael........The Virgin and Child with St John.
Vandyck...Portrait of King James the 1st
Canaletti....View in Venice
Gainsborough...Young Peasants Feeding Pigs
Vandyck....Portrait of Prince Eugene

There's 46 of them in the Paintings section, but you get my drift.

Phoenix
09-06-16, 12:26
I do indeed get your drift, and I'm sure they weren't sold for peanuts, but I do wonder just how many Vandyck portraits of James I were floating around, while (I think) Canaletto had a workshop of painters churning out pictures.

HarrysMum
09-06-16, 12:30
The Raphael sold for 3pounds 3shillings ( I don't have pounds and shillings signs on my computer)
Vandyck was 4pounds.

Gainsborough was 5 pounds.

They sound awfully cheap even for that year.

Mary from Italy
09-06-16, 13:52
You can get a rough idea of the current values from this site:

https://measuringworth.com/calculators/ppoweruk/

Merry
09-06-16, 14:57
I can't stop thinking Myles, or one of the others in the family, must have been a master art forger!

vita
09-06-16, 15:23
It would be interesting to trace the ownership history of the paintings, which can be done

quite easily via Google. I've just read out the list to antique dealer OH & he's lost for

words!

Merry
09-06-16, 15:39
I wonder if this Zurich-based lawyer ever had ancestors from Bristol??!!!

https://news.artnet.com/market/is-this-louvre-raphael-a-replica-18730

He says he has the original Raphael, The Virgin and Child with St John (La belle Jardinière) and the painting in The Louvre must be a fake!

Phoenix
09-06-16, 15:47
Lol!!!

Merry
09-06-16, 16:09
The 'La belle Jardinière' in the Louvre was already there in 1835:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=F6-PU7gACigC&pg=PA237&lpg=PA237&dq=when+did+the+louvre+get+La+belle+Jardini%C3%A8r e&source=bl&ots=GOvop-iPUV&sig=fT3cbryMcEW93Ojug64qqxDka8U&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiyvrSYrJvNAhXlAsAKHcbIBhQQ6AEILDAD#v=on epage&q=when%20did%20the%20louvre%20get%20La%20belle%20J ardini%C3%A8re&f=false

(top paragraph, page 237)

HarrysMum
09-06-16, 19:30
My point, Merry........or Lucretia sold those that were originals to her friends.

This catalogue is full of the beautiful things.

Vita.....if OH would like a look at it, I'm happy to scan it and email. Not sure if would come up here in enough detail to read.

There's another 43 "Drawings". I'm assuming the Danby ones are originals as I read somewhere that Myles helped him get a start or a studio or something.....

The books are to die for as well.

The "Prints" which are on the third day of the auction have names but no artist named on many of them. That seems to imply the "Paintings" are considered to be by the artist named, unless they just mean they are 'painted'.....so copied.

I love the scientific equipment as well.......I love the whole lot...lol
There's telescope and microscope and compasses and a delineator with camera and stand.

There's even a shower bath with pump.lol

Most of the china is Derby and Japanned. I'm sure I can see it when I close my eyes. Maybe I've just watched too many episodes of Antiques Roadshow...lol

vita
11-06-16, 14:21
Sorry to be so late in responding to your offer Libby yes, it would be of interest to both of

us if you would care to scan & email. I'll PM you with the address.

HarrysMum
13-06-16, 10:05
Vita......I've sent you the booklet. It's in two emails. Hope it's readable. Please feel free to share it here or elsewhere if you need help reading it.

vita
14-06-16, 09:20
OK Libby - acknowledged their arrival by email. OH starting cardiac rehab today, but

should be able to give them some attention in the next few days. He's the expert -

I'm just an interested onlooker!