PDA

View Full Version : George Charles Reynolds

kiterunner
16-12-09, 22:23
Help please!

I'm been trying to sort this one out for years. George Charles Reynolds married a relly of mine, Susanna Glasscodine (did I hear Merry groan?!) on the 8th Feb 1852 at St Mary's, Lambeth. He was of full age, Law writer, residence 9 North Street (same address as Susanna), father George Reynolds, merchant, deceased. Witnesses were Walter Charles Cross (married to Susanna's sister), Henry Glasscodine (Susanna's brother), James Joyce Gilham and Eliza Gilham. I know we've had a go at the Gilhams before but I don't think it was any help.

Susanna is a lodger in Chelsea in 1861 with a couple called Henry and Jane Burkinshaw and a lodger in Chelsea with another family in 1871. She died 22 May 1872 at 15 Palace Road, Lambeth, wife of George Charles Reynolds, commission agent, informant was her sister Mary Farmer who lived at 15 Palace Road.

I just want to fill in the birth year and place etc for George, and at last I thought I had a lead that would help me find him! He married again just weeks after Susannah's death:

25th June 1872 St John the Evangelist, Ladbroke Grove / Notting Hill
George Charles Reynolds, full age, widower, gentleman, residence Blenheim Crescent, father George Reynolds, merchant, married Ann Emily Elizabeth Drane, full age, spinster, residence West Brompton, father Charles Drane, gentleman. (Married by licence, I'm glad to say, otherwise think how soon the banns would have been called after Susannah's death!)
Witnesses were Edward Wilmot Seale and Catherine White.

But I still can't find George on any census at all! I found a possible baptism for Ann on the IGI:
5 Nov 1828 Sevenoaks, Kent - Anne Elizabeth Drane, father Charles Drane, mother Anne Emily. But I can't find them on any censuses either!

Can anyone find any of these people, please?

Merry
17-12-09, 06:27
*groans* :p

I MUST do some food shopping this morning and some pressie wrapping this afternoon, so hopefully someone will have this problem wrapped up too before I get back!

*winning hopeful smile* :D

Merry
17-12-09, 06:41
Deaths Jun 1891
Reynolds George Charles 69 Hampstead 1a 533

Don't know if the above relates to G W Reynolds aged 70 (accountant) with wife Frances aged 36, here:

RG12; Piece: 110; Folio 82; Page 21

I can't easily see a death for GW. Don't have time to check 1881/1901 for these people as breakfast calls!

kiterunner
17-12-09, 08:16
Well, Frances Reynolds is a widow in 1901 so that could well be G W's death.

ElizabethHerts
17-12-09, 08:36
I've been through the whole of Blenheim Crescent, Kensington, for 1871 and he isn't there. :(

kiterunner
17-12-09, 09:07
Thanks, Elizabeth. It doesn't surprise me, though!

ElizabethHerts
17-12-09, 09:11
Kiterunner, one household had two lodgers entered with no names, just blanks for both Christian name and surname! Perhaps he was one of those!

I get the feeling he didn't want to be found!

kiterunner
17-12-09, 09:15
You would think he would have been living with Anne and just waiting for Susanna to die so he could make Anne an honest woman, but I looked through the George Reynolds with "wives" called Ann(e) and got nowhere. I tried searching the censuses on findmypast for George Reynolds with the right occupation, but it turns out you can't actually search for occupation on some of their censuses, so I didn't get anywhere with that either.

ElizabethHerts
17-12-09, 09:27
Aaggh! A family called KNAPP are living at 9, North Street Lambeth in 1851!

Was he telling porkies?

Merry
17-12-09, 10:25
In 1891 GW and Frances have a son called Herbert G Reynolds b in London! lol I thought this might be the boy's birth reg:

Births Mar 1879
Reynolds Herbert George Hampstead 1a 678

I then tried to find this child in 1881, but couldn't!

Merry
17-12-09, 10:43
But I still can't find George on any census at all! I found a possible baptism for Ann on the IGI:
5 Nov 1828 Sevenoaks, Kent - Anne Elizabeth Drane, father Charles Drane, mother Anne Emily. But I can't find them on any censuses either!

Can anyone find any of these people, please?

This is hopeful:

1861 census:

George C Reynolds head m 38 Owner of Race Horses b Norfolk
Emily Reynolds wife m 34 b Sevenoaks, Kent (right place and age, mother's forename!)
Two servants; housemaid and cook.

Addy: 10 Peckham Crescent, Brompton, Kensington

RG9; Piece: 21; Folio: 61; Page: 18

Merry
17-12-09, 11:02
There are two Drane baptisms in that Sevenoaks batch on the IGI:

Anne Elizabeth dau of Charles and Emily in 1828

and less than nine months later:

Emily Anne dau of Charles John and Emily Ann in 1829

(both submitted)

and then we have Anne Emily Elizabeth at the marriage and Emily on the census!

Merry
17-12-09, 11:51
Going back to GW Reynolds and wife Frances in 1891 etc......

In 1901 Frances was aged 57 and b in London (she is 20 years younger 10 years before that, so I'm focusing on the 1901 for the minute!)

There's this:

Births Dec 1843
Daines Frances Mary Ann Camberwell 4 44

and this (just before George died):

Marriages Dec 1890
DAINES Frances Mary A Marylebone 1a 1137
Evans David Williams Marylebone 1a 1137
Henderson Eliza Fanny Marylebone 1a 1137
Reynolds George Charles Marylebone 1a 1137

and this:

Name: Frances M A Reynolds
Death Registration Month/Year: 1931 Q2
Age at death (estimated): 87
Registration district: Kensington
Inferred County: London
Volume: 1a
Page: 151

In 1911 she is aged 61 and living in Kensington.

So, is that your George C Reynolds marrying Frances at the last minute, possibly after the death of Anne Emily Elizabeth?

Merry
17-12-09, 12:20
Frances Mary Ann Daines was the dau of Isaac Charles Daines, an architect and surveyor, which seems to fit socially.

Merry
17-12-09, 12:35
The bap of Herbert George Reynolds is on the LMA records. His parents appear to be married (lol!) and they are George Charles and Frances Mary Ann Reynolds. :) George is a gentleman (lolol!!) The bap is at St Paul's Hampstead 12th Dec 1879 and Herbert was b 2nd Feb 1879.

Merry
17-12-09, 12:36
Oh, and their address was 74 Finchley Road.......and in 1881..............

Merry
17-12-09, 12:42
There lived at that address the following people! (reaches for a brandy)

Frances Reynolds head wid 66 b Jamaica
Herbert Reynolds son unm 20 b Jamaica
William Reynolds cousin wid 50 commercial clerk b Ireland
George Daines visitor m 49 commercial clerk b Ireland
Violet E A Daines visitor m 47 artist b Ireland

and three servants.

Hmmmmm...... lol :confused::confused::confused::confused:

ElizabethHerts
17-12-09, 13:22
The only George Charles Reynolds on the IGI baptised 1822 +/- 10 years:

Birth: 20 MAR 1821
Christening: 06 MAY 1821
Saint Mary-St Marylebone Road, Saint Marylebone, London, England
Father: JOHN REYNOLDS
Mother: JANE

Merry
17-12-09, 13:38
A little recap (not saying this is all correct! lol)

Abt 1820-1822 birth of George Charles Reynolds in London or Norfolk

1841 not traced

1851 not traced

1852 married Susanna Glasscodine

1861 with Emily (Anne Elizabeth) Drane (says b Norfolk for George)

1871 not traced

1872 married Ann Emily Elizabeth Drane

1879 birth and bap of son, Herbert George Reynolds (mother Frances Mary Ann Daines

1881 not traced

1890 married Frances Mary Ann Daines

1891 with Frances Mary Ann and son Herbert (says b London for George)

1891 Q2 dies

kiterunner
17-12-09, 13:59
Oh wow, thanks Merry. I wonder whether it's the same George Charles all the way through! That one in 1861 looks pretty hopeful, doesn't it?

I had seen that London baptism before, but because he says his father is George on both marriage certs, I don't think that's him.

As for that 1881 census entry, er, what...?!

Merry
17-12-09, 13:59
They are in Hove Sussex in 1871 with him 'no occ' and her 'lady' lol Emily's place of birth is Suffolk though and George's is London.

RG10; Piece: 1092; Folio: 121; Page: 18

The governess is called Fanny Daines!

Merry
17-12-09, 14:12
So, he ran off with the governess, presumably after he remembered to marry the mother of his daughter in 1872!

kiterunner
17-12-09, 14:13
They're making me dizzy! He certainly doesn't seem to have been a "gentleman"! Thanks for that. I wonder whether the 1881 people are just a load of made-up details and it was really George Charles, Frances and Herbert there, maybe with a couple of relatives? But for some reason they didn't want to give their real names?

kiterunner
17-12-09, 14:14
So, he ran off with the governess, presumably after he remembered to marry the mother of his daughter in 1872!

Well, he did marry her as soon as he was able to (after Susanna died).

Merry
17-12-09, 14:16
Well, he did marry her as soon as he was able to (after Susanna died).

Yes, but at what point did he take up with the governess?? lol (before or after he married Emily Drane?!!)

Merry
17-12-09, 14:18
I wonder whether the 1881 people are just a load of made-up details and it was really George Charles, Frances and Herbert there, maybe with a couple of relatives? But for some reason they didn't want to give their real names?

i'VE NOT BEEN ABLE TO TRACE ANY OF THOSE PEOPLE ANYWHERE ELSE. (oops, caps lock!)

kiterunner
17-12-09, 17:06
Now I've got back onto the computer which actually lets me go on ancestry, I've had another look at the 1891 and the address for that one was also 74 Finchley Road. Thanks for all your work on this one, Merry!

kiterunner
17-12-09, 22:42
Er, just found this family in 1881!

1 Roland Houses, Brompton, Kensington
George Reynolds Head Mar 50 Accountant London
Emily " Wife " 40 Do
Lizzie " Daugh Unm 20 Student Do
plus servants (no governess, though!)

Merry
18-12-09, 06:17
Er, just found this family in 1881!

1 Roland Houses, Brompton, Kensington
George Reynolds Head Mar 50 Accountant London
Emily " Wife " 40 Do
Lizzie " Daugh Unm 20 Student Do
plus servants (no governess, though!)

Good heavens, I didn't expect that! I wonder if any of those people at the other address were real then? (74 Finchley Road?) Or if he was living a double life?

So much for Victorian morality!!!

Every bit of luck that has come with this searching stems from you finding and posting that Sevenoaks baptism, yet I'm stil not sure which of those girls Emily is - could be forgiven for thinking they were both the same child!!

kiterunner
18-12-09, 07:53
Both baptisms are in a batch C019154 which contains hundreds of girls' baptisms at Sevenoaks so I'm sure they must be taken from a register of some kind, not just guessed. No, I can't figure out which one Anne Elizabeth Emily is. I never found the Dranes on a census, maybe I should go back and look for them again.

I reckon George Charles Reynolds would have got on well with my great-grandfather! He must have been leading a double life, mustn't he, because that 1881 census entry is 2 years after Herbert's baptism. Maybe he knew the local enumerator was very nosy, hence all the made-up stuff in the census entry?

kiterunner
18-12-09, 08:00
Okay, I've found a likely looking family in 1841:

Centre of Beckenham, Kent

Ann Emila Drane 50 Y
Emela Rowsill 25 N
Charles Do 3 Y
Emily Rowsell 2 Y

kiterunner
18-12-09, 10:14
I see TNA has a will of Charles Drane, Gentleman of St Marylebone, Middlesex, 28th June 1834. I wonder whether I could sneak into Notts Archives on my way to do Xmas shopping this afternoon and download it? If it is the same Charles then it might clear up the question of how many daughters he had!

Merry
18-12-09, 11:12
I see TNA has a will of Charles Drane, Gentleman of St Marylebone, Middlesex, 28th June 1834. I wonder whether I could sneak into Notts Archives on my way to do Xmas shopping this afternoon and download it?

I think you should try!!

kiterunner
18-12-09, 14:20
I couldn't resist popping in - well, I did have to hand-deliver a competition entry to the Nottingham Evening Post which is right next to the archives!

Not the right Charles Drane, but I did look George and Frances up on the National Probate Calendar while I was there:

1891 REYNOLDS George Charles, Personal Estate £79,619 19s 9d.
7 December. The will of George Charles Reynolds late of 10 Regent-street in the County of London (Middlesex) Gentleman who died 14 May 1891 at 74 Finchley-road St John's Wood in the said County was proved at the Principal Registry by Frances Mary Ann Reynolds of 2 Holland-Villas-road in the said County Widow the Relict and John Wingrove Smith of 10 Regent-street Gentleman the Executors.

1931 REYNOLDS Frances Mary Ann of 4 St Mary Abbotts-court Kensington Middlesex widow died 6 June 1931. Probate London 2 October to Herbert George Reynolds of no occupation. Effects £2962 8s 9d.

If I'd looked at George's entry before you found all those census entries, I wouldn't have thought it was my George! I wonder where he got all that money from, if he was a law writer and accountant? I did have a look through the PCC wills to see if I could find his father, but none of the many George Reynolds on there looked likely. Of course if I hadn't had to go Christmas shopping, I could have spent longer looking at them!

Merry
18-12-09, 16:27
So Frances was spending it at about £2,000 a year then!! Maybe those racehourses came up trumps?!!

kiterunner
18-12-09, 16:42
He may not have left most of it to her, though; maybe a lot of it was in trust to go directly to Herbert? Oh, and he may have left some to Lizzie!

kiterunner
18-12-09, 16:44
Maybe those racehourses came up trumps?!!

I googled the name of the other executor, John Wingrove Smith, whose address was also given as 10 Regent Street, and he seems to have owned racehorses too. I haven't found 10 Regent Street on a directory for the right year yet to see what it said. A few years after George's death, another accountant was listed there.