PDA

View Full Version : Printing section of newspaper

JBee
18-05-16, 11:43
I've found on fmp a newspaper detailed report on the sinking of a ship in 1876

Unfortunately the print isn't good so difficult to read.

I want to print off sections of the page but am having difficulty.

Can anyone please give an idiots guide on how to do it.

Thanks

ElizabethHerts
18-05-16, 11:47
I've found on fmp a newspaper detailed report on the sinking of a ship in 1876

Unfortunately the print isn't good so difficult to read.

I want to print off sections of the page but am having difficulty.

Can anyone please give an idiots guide on how to do it.

Thanks

If it doesn't print well for you, I can think of two options.

1. Download the image. Then crop the image, discarding the parts you don't need. This will automatically enlarge the image, which you can then print.

2. Enlarge the image on the web page so it is at its most legible. Take a screenshot. Sometimes I take multiple screenshots for one piece of text. My screenshots automatically go to Dropbox. Then you can open the images and crop them, discarding the unwanted parts.

I hope one of these solutions works for you.

Mary from Italy
18-05-16, 12:22
If you can't download the image, use the PRNTSCRN key to copy it (or ALT-PRNTSCRN), and then paste it into a program like Microsoft Paint so you can remove the parts you don't want.

JBee
18-05-16, 14:28
Sorry I'm still an idiot.

It downloads as a adobe download but the quality of print is so dire I can't read it.

Trying to enlarge just makes it worse.

Merry
18-05-16, 14:40
If you can detail the article I don't mind sorting it for you (if I can lol) and emailing you the bits so you can print it.

JBee
18-05-16, 15:03
It's very very long Merry and printing is appalling so if you take one look and decide against I won't blame you.

It's a Board of Trade inquiry into the sinking of the ss Calcium in 1876 with crew statements of what happened.

OH's great grandfather was the mate and he and 2 others drowned.

It's on FMP in the Fife Free Press on 27 May 1876

I found it by:

Year 1876
putting nothing in the Who and ss calcium in the What Else?

I've been trying to transcribe it from the image with great difficulty - eyesight isn't brilliant but nor is the print lol.

However I've found it hit the Goldstone rock off the Farne Islands and when we visit at the end of the month when we take a boat trip around the Farne Islands we'll know roughly where he drowned.

Merry
18-05-16, 15:05
OK. Just taking the kids to the dentist for a check up but I'll have a look when I get back!

JBee
18-05-16, 15:25
Thanks Merry

Merry
18-05-16, 15:29
Just waiting for them....

Did you look at the one in The Scotsman 27 May 1876? It's shorter (I think) but possibly more legible (not examined the other one closely, but looks pretty rubbish) I could try Gale when I get back.

Merry
18-05-16, 16:33
No dental treatment required lol!

I've looked at three other reports of the enquiry in different newspapers (Glasgow Herald (Glasgow, Scotland), Saturday, May 27, 1876 - The Dundee Courier & Argus (Dundee, Scotland), Saturday, May 27, 1876 - The Belfast News-Letter (Belfast, Ireland), Tuesday, May 30, 1876) but none have the detail included in the Fife Free Press. One does list the names of those who gave evidence but doesn't say what evidence they gave. If you need that one I can forward it to you, but I don't think I can do anything with the Fife one, sorry :o

JBee
18-05-16, 17:08
Thanks Merry

Unfortunately the Fife one gives a lot more detail - however I have gist of it now which will suffice.

Thanks for the offer though - much appreciated.

Mary from Italy
18-05-16, 22:51
If you try the system I suggested, it still isn't great, but it's a lot more legible than the pdf.