PDA

View Full Version : The Genealogist subscription

JayG
11-05-16, 16:49
I know lots of the records are available on other sites but there are one or two things I'm interested in that aren't.

I've been emailed an offer to subscribe to a 'diamond' sub for £69.45, that's after paying £119.45 & claiming £50 cashback from them.

Does anyone have a sub? Have they found it useful?

kiterunner
11-05-16, 17:08
I have had a couple of free "gold" 3-month subs but I haven't really used them as they don't seem to include anything which isn't on ancestry or FMP.

JayG
11-05-16, 17:12
I had a free 'gold' sub last year, probably used it a handful of times. Everything that is already available elsewhere seems to the on the 'gold' sub, most of the records only on The Genealogist seem to be on the 'diamond' sub.

kiterunner
11-05-16, 17:35
One of the family history magazines had a very misleading ad for The Genealogist recently which supposedly compared what is included in a sub (I guess it must have been the Diamond one) with what you get in an ancestry or an FMP sub, making it look as though the Genealogist one was better value, but the categories were on the level of "Parish Registers", "Wills", yes or no, rather than which counties, are they more or less complete, are there images, etc.

James18
11-05-16, 18:06
The one set of records I'd really like would be full images for Bristol parish records, but I don't think those parish records have ever been released. I do keep an eye out for new Ancestry & FMP records, but aside from having tried a one-month The Genealogist sub about a year ago (and I never really used it) I've no idea what they have - if anything - that Ancestry & FMP don't.

HarrysMum
11-05-16, 20:56
It's always been my absolute favourite. I can usually find people in the census records much quicker than on Ancestry.

I used their site for PCC wills and non-con records long before they were one Ancestry and still find they have more.....unless Ancestry has sorted their transciptions.

I'd love to get my head around FMP, but sadly, doubt that will happen in this lifetime.

Merry
12-05-16, 06:44
I would stand on the edge of a slippery cliff (see threads about vertigo! lol) before I would ever part with any money for The Genealogist! I was banned from their site for a few years because I dared to make a mild complaint twice over (because I got no response the first time!). Also they used to cancel subs/fine members if they found you had done a lookup for someone else - I seem to remember people having to 'prove' they had a name in their tree - guilty until proven innocent?! I don't think that is still the case, but even so......

WendyPusey
12-05-16, 09:29
I would stand on the edge of a slippery cliff (see threads about vertigo! lol) before I would ever part with any money for The Genealogist! I was banned from their site for a few years because I dared to make a mild complaint twice over (because I got no response the first time!). Also they used to cancel subs/fine members if they found you had done a lookup for someone else - I seem to remember people having to 'prove' they had a name in their tree - guilty until proven innocent?! I don't think that is still the case, but even so......

I'm with Merry on this. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole!

James18
12-05-16, 11:15
That's absolutely horrendous. I never knew they did that. :o

Olde Crone
12-05-16, 11:41
I personally have no problem with them defending their records, nor even their aggressive stance in doing so. I just wouldn't want to join a site like that, as I often go off on a complete tangent, pursuing people who actually have nothing to do with me in the end. It's called research.

OC

ElizabethHerts
12-05-16, 11:43
It's always been my absolute favourite. I can usually find people in the census records much quicker than on Ancestry.

I used their site for PCC wills and non-con records long before they were one Ancestry and still find they have more.....unless Ancestry has sorted their transciptions.

I'd love to get my head around FMP, but sadly, doubt that will happen in this lifetime.

I find FMP really easy to use. For most of my records I usually go straight to "Search A-Z of Record Sets" and enter my key word, which is very often a county name. This brings up all the relevant record sets. I very seldom do a general search. For example, for Hampshire records just type "Hampshire" in the search box and it will bring up what is available.

JayG
12-05-16, 16:26

Yes I remember from the GR days people having their subs cancelled as TG believed they had been doing look ups.

Merry
12-05-16, 16:38
They still owe me a short term free sub for the transcribing I did for them. Instead of giving me the promised sub they banned me from the site. :D

JayG
12-05-16, 16:44
Oh yes transcribing census, I wonder if I'm due a free sub for what I did all those years ago :d

Merry
12-05-16, 16:50
Oh yes transcribing census, I wonder if I'm due a free sub for what I did all those years ago :d

Not if you argue with them!

Jill
12-05-16, 18:57
I had a 2 week free trial with them, and thought they were fine as a "beginners" site, but I could get more for my money elsewhere. The only advantage were their tithe records.

JayG
12-05-16, 19:09
The tithe records are what i'm mostly interested in.

HarrysMum
12-05-16, 22:29
I find FMP really easy to use. For most of my records I usually go straight to "Search A-Z of Record Sets" and enter my key word, which is very often a county name. This brings up all the relevant record sets. I very seldom do a general search. For example, for Hampshire records just type "Hampshire" in the search box and it will bring up what is available.

The trouble for me is that I have no idea which county. The Ariels, Eyres, Kirkbys and Sawreys wandered all over the place and overseas.

Their Australian school records were good though.

I'd put Ancestry a very long 3rd out of the those three sites.