PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Marriage search

Merry
06-05-16, 08:44
In 2006 I was helping someone with this tree and this marriage was a crucial part to solving a mystery:

Name: Isabella Orchiston
Marriage Date: 14 Nov 1807
Marriage Place: Saint Nicholas,Aberdeen,Aberdeen,Scotland
Spouse: George Middleton

The above is from ancestry's Scotland, Select Marriages, 1561-1910

Now someone else has contacted me about the same record so I'm having to remember stuff from ten years ago! I would have sworn I had seen the original PR for the above marriage, but I can't find that online now. Any ideas of where I could look (I couldn't find it on SP, which was where I was expecting to find it).

Merry
06-05-16, 08:45
Off out now, so not ignoring you!

kiterunner
06-05-16, 08:53
It comes up for me on SP.

Merry
06-05-16, 11:10
Oh, OK thanks. I'll have to try again.

Macbev
06-05-16, 11:11
It is on the IGI, Merry, along with the births/baptisms of children Christian and William

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/igi/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Aisabella~%20%2Bsurname%3Aorch iston~%20%2Bmarriage_place%3A%22aberdeen%20scotlan d%22~%20%2Bmarriage_year%3A1807-1807~%20%2Bsubcollection_id%3A5&igi=%281%202%29

Merry
06-05-16, 11:20
Found it now!

Now I've realised I should have viewed my previous searches to view the image as when I did a new search it wanted me to pay for it again. Makes me wonder if I've ever paid (used credits) more than once for the same searches before?

Anyway, thanks Kate!

Kit
11-05-16, 02:48
I thought it would come up as saying you have viewed before?

I'm sure I've done the same thing but I don't pay twice.

Merry
11-05-16, 06:14
I thought it would come up as saying you have viewed before?

I'm sure I've done the same thing but I don't pay twice.

So did I but it didn't. :(

I just tried the search from scratch again. Even if I enter the exact date for the marriage it still says there are two matches, presumably for the same event, and wants me to pay one credit to see the list of results. Maybe if I paid that one credit it would show me that I'd already paid to view one of the two possible versions of the marriage entry?

Macbev
11-05-16, 06:53
Can you not click directly on the 'viewed images' tab? If you use the filters, you should be able to find out whether you have downloaded the image in the past or not

Macbev
11-05-16, 07:00
Out of extreme nosiness, I've just downloaded the image myself, so can send it to you if you can't locate it :)

JBee
11-05-16, 08:31
When you purchase an image you should click on "put it in your timeline" and label what it is - so a quick look there should say what images you've paid to view. Even if its the wrong one you can put a label to that effect so you don't do it again.

I have pages of viewed images so the above is the quickest way to see what I already have looked at.

Merry
11-05-16, 10:20
I have the image from when I paid to view it in 2006, but initially I had forgotten about that and searched again. As far as I can see I would have paid again except I don't have any credits, so that stopped me!

I don't have any Scottish ancestry myself, and haven't used SP for seven years so don't have many images previously viewed, so it's not a bit deal to look through them, just to remember to do that as there doesn't seem to be any prompt to stop you paying again.

Oh, whilst we are talking about Scottish records, can someone tell me (for civil registration) if there are time periods when middle names are recorded as initials only like with Eng/Wales 1910 Q2- 1965 Q4?

JBee
11-05-16, 11:36
I have a marriage in 1861 in Edinburgh where the groom's first name is just an initial on the certificate.

His first name was Thomas but it just had the initial T

kiterunner
11-05-16, 11:46
Oh, whilst we are talking about Scottish records, can someone tell me (for civil registration) if there are time periods when middle names are recorded as initials only like with Eng/Wales 1910 Q2- 1965 Q4?

I don't think so, but hopefully a Scottish expert can confirm this?

I did find this page with has a link to a PDF copy of the instructions for how to create the index entries, which makes fascinating reading:
http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/statutory-registers/indexes

Kit
12-05-16, 02:57
Merry if you have paid twice for something contact them to query it. SP are very good and I would think they would refund the credits to you.

Merry
12-05-16, 06:23
Thanks I haven't done (just almost!), but that's good to know.

James18
12-05-16, 09:50
AFAIK full names are always used on SP records, at least until the point they get cut off due to the name being too long for the box. But I've yet to see a record which is just a first name and then an initial.

Merry
12-05-16, 11:46
Thanks James, I will try to remember that!