PDA

View Full Version : map of yorkshire by dunford bridge

robertpeter
13-04-16, 16:14
i have just downloaded the map of yorkshire near penistone lokking at the map you willfind a large section which is called dunford land today
now the story i am following,sent to me from historains in yorkshire
the surname of dunford was a locational name of donville in calvados normandy france .the name was brought to england inthe wake of the norman conquest of 1066
and the dunfords who came over were born at the same time 1027 as william 1 who also was born in calvados.normandy france
after the battle he gave the dunford 4 hides of land near penistone yorkshire.now this bit shoock me it said knowbody was allowed to change a rivers name except a king so how did we have dunford river and dunford bridge.which they say was built in 1066.next piece is they gave william of eu 16 hides of land next door to dunford land..then in 1086 william of eu was found to be a traitor to william 11. who was executed and his land given to dunford.now look at the yorkshire map today at dunford land it is 20 hides of land .could this be true.they say there was dunford parish there with dunford village,now in 1273 thomas dunford of yorkshire was the weathy landowner of england .also in 1636 when thomas dunford refused to pay king charles 1 ship money.all the dunford familys in yorkshire had to flee.and charles 1 tried to cover up any land dunford ever owned by calling it durnford.
now there was a ship builder by the name of worters.who some one paid to build the huge armada of three masted sailings ships known as the WHITE SAILS.which plied the stormy Atlantic to america.it states the durnford was on these ships but reaching america no durnfords got off only dunford familys with there cattle sheep horses poultry seeds to grow .they were off to purchased huge amounts of land all over north america.we have all the names were they went john dunford purchased huge lands to farm in eastern seaboard .james dunford. 10 more familys went to pennsylvania.to labrador on the wagon trains to the prairies of west america.but no durnfords.check it out. then we come to the documents they left behind the cobden documents where cobden had a 500 year lease on dunford farmhouse and land.the archbishop of canterbury archives in lambeth palace.national archives of all the land owned by the dunford family in yorkshire.it goes on and on.
least but not last surely some one knows the family tree of the dunfords from 1066. they fed the the kings and queens of england for 600 years this cannot be forgoten

kiterunner
13-04-16, 17:40
I think you would need to check the accuracy of all this for yourself rather than rely on what others have told you. There was no standardised spelling in the 17th century, so Dunford and Durnford could well have been variant spellings of the same name; it sounds very unlikely to me that King Charles I would have changed the spelling of a place name slightly as you say. As for the origin of the name, I haven't looked into it, but there are a lot of English names ending with "ford" and it is more likely the Dunford surname came from the place name rather than the other way round.

I haven't managed to find a reference to the Thomas Dunford who refused to pay the ship money which I can actually view yet, but from what I could see on a Google search, it looked as though that Thomas Dunford lived in Wiltshire? In which case maybe not connected with Dunford in Yorkshire?