PDA

View Full Version : king charles 1

robertpeter
13-04-16, 15:35
nowi have read about thomas dunford who refused to pay ship money to king charles 1 in parliament.
now was thomas dunford a mp .or was he there because he was a rich landowners
next question does anybody have thomas dunford family tree

Merry
13-04-16, 16:07
next question does anybody have thomas dunford family tree

Presumably you mean coming forward in time?

How far back have you traced your Dunford line?

Merry
14-04-16, 06:49
How far back have you traced your Dunford line?

Having googled and found a lot of threads on several different forums I see you have back as far as John Dunford born and baptised in 1812 in Liverpool, the son of John and Martha Dunford.

As John and Martha's children were baptised as Catholics, I looked at the catholic burials in Liverpool and found a burial for John Dunford of Titchfield St Liverpool, buried 12 Aug 1837 at St Anthony's, aged 59, who could be Martha's husband.

There is a burial for a Martha Dunford at the same church in 1857 which I thought couldn't be your Martha as she is recorded as aged 47 (so too young!), but I am wondering if the age is incorrect as there is a Martha Dunford on the 1851 census in Liverpool who at that time is a widow aged 60 and I can neither find a separate death for this Martha nor a census entry for the supposed younger Martha (might be worth you checking that for yourself and not taking my word for it though!).

If you were to purchase the death cert for the 1857 Martha it might give you more information about her such as another record of her age at death plus possibly the name of her late husband and the person who registered the death, any of which might help. Here are the references from the GRO index which you will need to order copies of the certificates:

Deaths Sep 1837
DUNFORD John District Liverpool Volume number 20 page number 249

Deaths Mar 1857
Dumford Martha District Liverpool Volume number 8b page number 73

I have checked the spelling on the actual index for Martha and the certificate has been indexed as Dumford rather than Dunford, so that's the name you should use in the order.