PDA

View Full Version : Rachael Staveley

Zoemcdougall
10-04-16, 09:34
I am hoping someone can help me, I haven't got an A######y sub at the moment hoping to re-new soon, I have hint on my tree for Rachael Staveley my 4x great grandmother, someone has submitted a newspaper article, titled

? newspaper court round up.

I hoping if some one would be able to look for me, to see what it says.

Thank you in advance

Zoe

James18
10-04-16, 09:52
Hi Zoe,

I'm happy to help you, but I can't find what you're looking for and require a bit more information about Rachael. What kind of dates are we looking at here? Are there any other keywords that appear?

Zoemcdougall
10-04-16, 09:59
She was born in Youlgreave bakewell 1819 died 1887. I am not sure if I am allowed to put up the name of tree of the person who submitted it. all I can see is what they have titled it (? newspaper round up)

James18
10-04-16, 10:16
I can't find anything matching those terms, but I suspect I know what's happened.

Ancestry will search its newspaper indexes for matches for your trees, and it will often come back with 'hints' for random assortments of words that mean nothing. So, in your case, I imagine it has found an irrelevant newspaper entry with the words Rachael and Staveley and court and highlighted them together to give you a match. This happens quite frequently, and especially with fairly common terms.

I will keep looking for you, but I entered the name and dates you gave me and tried both broad and narrow searches, and the best I can get on the public family tree list is a Sarah Staveley:

Birth: 26 Oct 1817 - Nottinghamshire, England
Death: 25 Jan 1887 - South Clifton, Nottinghamshire, England
Marriage: 17 May 1838 - North Clifton, Nottinghamshire, England
Spouse: George Bradley

Zoemcdougall
10-04-16, 10:46
Thank you for looking James.

Regards

Zoe

James18
10-04-16, 10:50
I've replied to your PM, Zoe.

Zoemcdougall
10-04-16, 11:02
Thank you James,

Zoemcdougall
10-04-16, 11:21
James I will re new my subs soon, so that I can have a look at it, but thank you for trying it's very much appreciated.

Regards

Zoe

James18
10-04-16, 11:23
Try the £69 annual sub I linked to, Zoe. If it still works (it should) you'll have saved yourself a lot of money.

kiterunner
10-04-16, 11:33
It is nothing to do with ancestry's newspaper search but just an image attached to someone's public tree (they evidently found the newspaper article on FMP).They have her as Rachel Staley in their tree and this is what the newspaper report says:

Bakewell Petty Sessions, Friday May 20 (1859)
Rachael Toft was charged by Joseph Bacon, a man of diminutive stature, with assaulting and beating him on the 15th inst, at Youlgreave. The complainant said he was standing on the King's-high-road, and the defendant came to him and boxed his ears, knocked him down, and kicked him. - Mrs Toft admitted the charge, and stated her reason for so doing was the complainant had previously beaten her children. -The complainant admitted having beaten the children for calling him "nosey". -The BENCH ordered a penalty of 1s and 16s costs, which defendant refused to pay, and was committed for seven days.

If you haven't already registered with the British Newspaper Archive website, you could register on there and then you get some free views before you have to pay.

James18
10-04-16, 11:45
Oh, God. I am ******* useless :|

EDIT: Sorry, Zoe! I did look, I promise.

Zoemcdougall
10-04-16, 11:49
Thank Kate, I hadn't registered with the British newspaper archives but will now.

Zoemcdougall
10-04-16, 11:50
James you are not useless!

James18
10-04-16, 11:54
James you are not useless!
No, but Kate does make me feel that way sometimes. :D

I'm in two minds:

- If Kate wasn't here, we'd all look a lot more efficient;

- If Kate wasn't here, my family trees would be empty.

Hmm... :d

Zoemcdougall
10-04-16, 15:34
James if wasn't Kate & many others on here, I wouldn't have family tree either. I do believe that you looked for me. Thank you

P.s I am useless as I had spelt the surname wrong in the first place.