PDA

View Full Version : Another Mini Mystery Solved

Durham Lady
09-04-16, 15:07
I've just received the birth certificate for Mary Ellen JOBES who is an illegitimate child of one of my great aunts and born 1879.
Apart from the awful hand writing, nothing new there, it's unusual in that it has a father's name, Edward McNulty, which is crossed out.
Mary Ellen's mother Sarah didn't marry this man and on the 1891 census records Mary E had her step father's surname, Hobman. I became suspicious when I realised she was born a couple of years before her mother's marriage. Interestingly I found an Edward McNulty living in the same area and the right age to be ME's father, his mother was named Ellen and Sarah's mother was Mary. I love solving mimi mysteries.

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh574/Malverngirl/Mary%20Ellen%20JOBES%20%201879_zpsdlewtbbs.jpg (http://s1252.photobucket.com/user/Malverngirl/media/Mary%20Ellen%20JOBES%20%201879_zpsdlewtbbs.jpg.htm l)

Janet
09-04-16, 16:19
Nice one, Daphne.

kiterunner
09-04-16, 16:38
I wouldn't call that awful handwriting compared to some I have seen, Daphne!

James18
09-04-16, 17:07
7th April... did you pay the extra £20 (?) for faster delivery?

Durham Lady
09-04-16, 18:57
No James, just the normal delivery price of £9.25. I requested it on the 4th April and it arrived today the 9th.

James18
09-04-16, 19:06
No James, just the normal delivery price of £9.25. I requested it on the 4th April and it arrived today the 9th.
Ah, that's pretty quick then - considering they claim they will post it on the fourth working day after your order is placed.

I thought you'd ordered it on the 7th and received it on the 9th. I just don't understand why people would pay the extra £20... I mean it's up to the individual, of course, but is it ever really worth it? For the sake of waiting a few extra days you could buy two extra certificates.

Sorry... just ranting to myself. It just seems like a service that I can't imagine anyone really uses. :D

Phoenix
19-04-16, 18:01
Ah, that's pretty quick then - considering they claim they will post it on the fourth working day after your order is placed.

I thought you'd ordered it on the 7th and received it on the 9th. I just don't understand why people would pay the extra £20... I mean it's up to the individual, of course, but is it ever really worth it? For the sake of waiting a few extra days you could buy two extra certificates.

Sorry... just ranting to myself. It just seems like a service that I can't imagine anyone really uses. :D

If you need it for a passport/divorce etc :D:D:D

Olde Crone
19-04-16, 18:34
Heir hunters often use this service too as it can give them a head start on competitors.

OC