PDA

View Full Version : M.A. Timewell, artist

tenterfieldjulie
09-04-16, 11:21
Hi Everyone I am hoping you can narrow the field as to who M.A. Timewell is.
I bought a lovely painting of a young girl at an antique shop in Portobello rd in 2012.
I am trying to establish who the artist above may be.
There is a date below the signature and it looks like -7-4-possibly 1915 but the 9 is the only clear figure.
I did find a Marjorie Timewell aged 17 single in the 1911 census, her mother a widow living on private means.
I found a Marjorie Amy Timewell born 1894 at Streatham, Surrey on the FreeBMD which I think is the same person.
Can anyone give me advice whether I am looking the right direction or not please?
The face of the young girl is very sweet and the clothes you see, are a ruffled flounce around her neck onto her shoulders and puffed sleeves.
Thanks Julie

kiterunner
09-04-16, 11:42
There is a Marjorie A Timewell death registered Oct-Dec 1918 at Eastbourne, Sussex, age 25. If she was a professional artist then her death certificate might say so, but of course if it was just a hobby it won't.

kiterunner
09-04-16, 12:28
There are a couple of public ancestry trees with Marjorie Amy Timewell on them, so you could contact the tree owners and ask whether they know if she was an artist?

Jill
09-04-16, 18:38
In 1939 there is also a Maud A Timewell, b11 Dec 1877 single, Private Means living at Hillcrest, White Lion Road , Amersham R.D., Buckinghamshire with another single woman Gertrude L Proctor b11 Dec 1877, private means.

She died the following year 2nd Dec, there is a probate for her.

Jill
09-04-16, 18:55
Bucks Herald 27 November 1936 report on Bucks Arts Society

"Miss Timewell, too, shows good watercolours with broadly treated loose handling"

HarrysMum
09-04-16, 22:24
Julie.....please don't get me started on finding all the artists of paintings I have.....lol

Of course if anyone finds the artworks that dearly beloved Lecretia auctioned off in 1840, I wouldn't mind a few of them back..... :)

tenterfieldjulie
10-04-16, 11:28
Oh Wow thanks everyone.
Now Lib mine are just minor artists portrait that I fell in love with.
I think Maud sounds very promising Jill.
Thanks Kate for the info on Marjorie, but hope it isn't her as she died so young.
I am so delighted to think I may have found the artist.
I wonder if the Bucks Art Society would have any of her paintings ...
I have put a copy of the painting on my Instagram under my name.

Merry
10-04-16, 14:40
Bucks Herald Buckinghamshire, England

2 Feb 1934

BUCKS ART SOCIETY

....committee was re-elected follows: Mrs. E. Mitchell, Mrs. Stafford Charles, Mrs. O. Parker, the Misses L. K. Hutchinson, Car Richardson and M. A. Timewell, Messrs. John Simmons, H. Ford, and F. Stebbings.

HarrysMum
10-04-16, 22:42
Maud is looking good Julie. Don't worry........all of mine are minor artists....lol

Lucretia got rid of the well known ones. :(

tenterfieldjulie
11-04-16, 00:02
Maud Amy Timewell
Born 27 April 1872, Paddington, Middlesex.
Died 2 December 1940, Amersham, Buckinghamshire, aged 68.
Lived by Private Means at Hillcrest, White Lion Road, Amersham Common R.D., Buckinghamshire.
Probate granted Llandundno, 22 February to solicitors Topping and Macdonald. Effects 1900 pounds 19 shillings and 2 pence.
Maud’s parents were William Henry Timewell and Amy Jane Edwards, who married 3Q 1869 in Kensington, Middlesex, London.
According to the 1871 Census , they were living at St Luke Road, Kensington – William, aged 28, a solicitor, born Somerset and Amy, 20, born Middlesex; with Frank E., aged 11 wks or mths; with 2 female domestics; and 2 visitors, one a member of the Stock Exchange from Norfolk.
According to the 1851 Census, William Henry Timewell, aged 8, born Crowcombe, Somerset, was a boarder at a small school at Watchet, Saint Decimus, at Williton in Somerset, the head of the house, John Wescombe, was a Chemist and his wife Jane, the School Mistress.
William Henry Timewell, was buried on 20 February 1879, at St Mary, Stratfield Mortimer, he was 37 and had been residing at Mortimer, Berkshire.
In 1881 living at 1 Belsize Park, St. John, Hampstead, London were Maud, aged 8, with her 7 yr old sister, May Ethel, who were being privately educated with a governess, Jessie Crooke, from Aberdeenshire, there was also a cook and housemaid. They were living with their maternal grandmother, Caroline Edwards, a 63 yr old widow born in Cornwall.
In 1885 when Maud was 13, she acquired a stepfather, as Ernest Albert Bartells, married Amy Jane Timewell at Hampstead in London.
In 1891 Maud was a visitor to the house of Amelia Jeffery, a 70 yr old widow, born Liskeard, Cornwall. This household were living at Tunbridge in Kent. Maud was 18.
In 1901 Maud was living at 105 Greencroft Gardens, Hampstead in London in the household of her stepfather, Ernest A Bartels, aged 47, a retired stock dealer, who had been born in Cambridgeshire. Also in the household were Maud’s mother, Amy Bartells, aged 49 and their two sons, Dudley aged 14, born Crouch End London and Reginald, aged 7, born Willesden Green, London. Maud was now 28, also with her was her sister, Josephine C. Timewell, aged 26, born in Penn, Buckinghamshire, also in the household was a cook, nurse domestic and a housemaid domestic.
In 1919 on the Electoral Register, Maud Amy Timewell was living at Hillcrest, White Lion Road, Amersham and she lived there until her death in 1940.

My interest in Maud, came from my purchase of a portrait she painted and Genealogists' Forum with Kiterunner, have, as usual, put flesh on the bones so to speak, so many thanks again.
To complete my summary the reports found as follows;
Merry:
“Bucks Herald Buckinghamshire, England - 2 Feb 1934

BUCKS ART SOCIETY
....committee was re-elected follows: Mrs. E. Mitchell, Mrs. Stafford Charles, Mrs. O. Parker, the Misses L. K. Hutchinson, Car Richardson and M. A. Timewell, Messrs. John Simmons, H. Ford, and F. Stebbings.”
Jill found:
“Bucks Herald 27 November 1936 report on Bucks Arts Society.

"Miss Timewell, too, shows good watercolours with broadly treated loose handling" “

Without going further back in Maud’s ancestry, can anyone find her in the 1911 census please?

HarrysMum
11-04-16, 02:40
I can't find her. There is a Alice Maud Bartells born the right year, as a boarder, but she's with her hubby and daughter.

Just thought I'd check that surname as Timewell wasn't showing anything. She may gave gone to Europe. Lots of artists did that.

HarrysMum
11-04-16, 03:19
Maud had a younger sister, Josephine who seems not to have married either. It looks like she went to USA sometime prior to 1907 as that us when she returned, according to Ancestry.

tenterfieldjulie
11-04-16, 09:53
Thanks Lib. I would have thought with her interests and means that she would have travelled to Europe at least once, so it may be that she was there in 1911.

kiterunner
11-04-16, 09:58
I can't find Maud's birth registration unless she was registered as "Female" and then changed to "Maria Ann".

She isn't with the Bartels in 1911. I wonder whether she could be one of those suffragettes who supposedly refused to be enumerated?

tenterfieldjulie
11-04-16, 12:04
I think I found Maud's birth mistranscribed as Frank and if you look at the original I think in FMP it was as follows only I have corrected it.
Name: Maude Amy Timewell
Mother: Amy Jane Timewell
Father: William Henry Timewell
Baptism: 21 May 1872 - Notting Hill All Saints, England.

strangely enough she does have an older brother Frank Edwards Timewell - Edwards after the mother's maiden name
Name: Frank Edwards Timewell
Baptism: 18 Jul 1870 - West Kilburn St Luke, England.
I think he may have died as an infant.

The sister is also as follows
Name: May Ethel Timewell
Baptism: 6 Jun 1873 - Notting Hill All Saints, England.

I found the following two children on an Ancestry tree and we also found the next daughter on a Census, but I don't think the son survived.

Birth Josephine Cole Timewell
1874 • Penn, Buckinghamshire, England

Birth Mortimer John V Timewell
Dec 1877 • Berkshire, England

It must have seemed such a promising life and then the father dying at 39 must have been a nightmare.
I found the two girls with their grandmother on the next census but cannot find their mother although she may be mistranscribed.