PDA

View Full Version : Unknown people in photographs

James18
07-04-16, 22:21
We've all been there -- you find some old photos in which you recognize perhaps one or two people but absolutely no one else, and so you don't really know where to start looking or who to ask. On this particular occasion I e-mailed three photos of a wedding to a relative - having had them for some time and at a loss as to identifying anyone on them - asking if they by any chance knew someone in the photos or could pass them on to someone else in the family who may; the only person I knew was my grandmother, who was a bridesmaid and about 11 at the time.

Totally unbeknownst to me, the photographs were of said relative's parents' wedding, and so he knew most of the people on them!

I really can't complain as generally I've been quite lucky so far in terms of finding out who is on my old photos, but wouldn't it be great if this happened every time?

Jill
08-04-16, 06:01
The recipient must be so pleased! And now I've got a guilty conscience as I was sent a photo of a distant cousin's wedding from the 1930s mnths ago and was delighted to see my great uncle was the best man. I need to send it to his son.

Kit
08-04-16, 08:07
My grandad was an only child so I have no one to send the photos too.

That was a lucky break for you James.

Margaret in Burton
09-04-16, 09:58
An old Edwardian group wedding photo was found a few years ago amongst the possessions of a great aunt. No idea who any of the people were. I knew which side of the family so everytime I made a contact with a member of that family via Ancestry or Genes Reunited I sent them a copy of it and asked if they knew who anyone was. Managed to identify a brother of my great grandfather and his wife, my great great grandparents and the bride and groom. Having the death cert of GG Grandfather helped with dating it and elimination of weddings for his children before his death. Dated it to 1905. Not managed to identify all of the people but its a huge group.My great grandparents aren't on it and working it out, great grandmother was pregnant so possibly not able to make the journey from Burton on Trent to Balderton in Notts.