PDA

View Full Version : Question re 19th century death certificates

James18
06-04-16, 15:48
I have noticed that on some of the Scottish death certificates I have scans of from ScotlandsPeople, if the deceased had been married previously then both spouses (if known to the informant, I suppose) tend to be listed, in order.

In trying to work out who my great-great-great grandfather's (http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=23606) first wife was, I'm wondering what the chances are of both of his wives being listed on his death certificate. Was this information (if applicable) usually included on 19th century English death certificates? I know who his second wife was, but before I order his death certificate I'd like to know how likely it is that his first wife's name will be listed. I'm assuming his second wife knew her name...

Oakum Picker
06-04-16, 16:00
On English certs. although the female was usually recorded as wife or widow of the husband, I've never seen the reverse.

Merry
06-04-16, 16:12
I used to use this site a lot for reminding me about what may be found on England/Wales BMD certs and in what years. It's very helpful:

http://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/indexbd.htm

James18
07-04-16, 09:57
Thank you very much, Merry. :)

Olde Crone
07-04-16, 10:40
Oh, I would happily pay £500 for the death certificate of my 2 x GGF if it had the name of his first wife on it!!!!!!

OC

Merry
07-04-16, 10:57
I thought she was that Ruth woman, OC???

Olde Crone
07-04-16, 16:52
Merry

Yes, pretty sure it's the Ruth woman...but I want certainty!

OC

Kit
11-04-16, 08:53
Well I don't think you are going to find Ruth revealing herself while she is still referred to as "that Ruth woman".

You are going to need to be a lot nicer than that.

Merry
11-04-16, 09:17
lol Toni, Ruth has revealed herself, but we are not 100% sure her husband is OC's ancestor. (well, I think he is, but then it's not my tree!! :cool:)

Olde Crone
11-04-16, 21:10
Kit

I've tried nice. It doesn't work with my lot.

OC