PDA

View Full Version : Moses and Martha Blackburn

Jill
25-03-16, 18:09
Parents of Grace Blackburn (http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=19695&highlight=grace+blackburn)

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Moses Blackburn
Date and place of birth
NK
Names of parents
NK
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
NK
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
NK
Occupation(s) - if any
NK
Addresses where they lived
Trawden, Lancashire
Date, place and cause of death
1760 Trawden or 1769 Trawden
Date and place of burial.
21 Apr 1760, of Trawden or 10 Apr 1769 of Trawden at St Bartholomew, Colne, Lancashire
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
NK
Memorial inscription - if any
NK

Mary from Italy
25-03-16, 21:40
There's a marriage at St Bartholomew's, Colne in 1735 for Moses Blackburn and Mary Horsfield of Trawden which might be worth considering.

Jill
26-03-16, 06:52
Thankyou Mary. I suspect this may be them, though I had thought his wife's name was Martha - only because that name appears on his granddaughter's adult baptism in 1837.

There was a big rush to be baptised at the Wesleyan Chapel on 30th June 1837 and their 55 year old granddaughter (my 4x gt grandmother) was one of them. It states her mother was Grace Blackburn daughter of Moses & Martha but as they were long dead and as there were 187 bapt that day a clerical error might have crept in.

Mary from Italy
26-03-16, 11:19
I think it might be the other way round; the "Mary" may be an error by the vicar, because Moses had other children baptised at Colne, and the first one was called Martha. Or perhaps his wife went by both names.

I had a look at your thread on Grace, and I think you may have her baptism date wrong; the first Grace died in 1743, and a second one, presumably yours, was baptised in 1749.

Moses' abode is always shown as Trawden in the baptisms, so I'm not sure where the birthplace of Foulridge comes from?

Jill
26-03-16, 20:16
Yes you are right Mary, I'm very grateful to you for pointing this out - and shows how useful the GF Take one etc threads are both for reviewing research and furthering it. Having looked back, the Foulridge came from a transcript which proves to be wrong.