PDA

View Full Version : Missing on 1939 register

Kit
15-03-16, 22:46
Is it possible to be alive in 1939, in England at the time but died well before any cutoffs FMP have imposed for blacking out entries and not be on the register?

ie could you just not sign up?

kiterunner
15-03-16, 22:49
Apparently there were some late registrations who are not shown on the documents that FMP have. Also those who were in the armed forces at the date of the Register are not included.

Olde Crone
15-03-16, 23:12
There was a bit on Heir hunters this morning about this and they said that those who did NOT sign up for whatever reason, soon found themselves in difficulties regarding rationing and ID cards, so in the end there was more or less 100% compliance. Probably not 100%!

OC

Kit
15-03-16, 23:16
Thanks Kite and OC.

The people I'm looking at were elderly at the time and I'm wondering if they just didn't bother but as OC says they would have needed to.

I'll keep searching. There might have been a mistranscription.

Merry
16-03-16, 06:06
I was looking for a woman on it yesterday but gave up. I then looked for her adult son and found him immediately. Turned out she was in the same house but they had both been transcribed by fmp with the same dob (his).

Lindsay
16-03-16, 07:36
My grandmother and her 2 children are missing. My grandfather appears, living with his in-laws, so I wonder if granny went with the children when they were evacuated. No trace of her searching by name or birthday, so perhaps she's been badly mistranscribed.

If only I'd asked dad more about where he went when he was evacuated!

Kit
18-03-16, 08:24
I was looking for a woman on it yesterday but gave up. I then looked for her adult son and found him immediately. Turned out she was in the same house but they had both been transcribed by fmp with the same dob (his).

I'm trying a roundabout way too. Not being sure of the DOB I've tried name, county and the street she died in but no luck.

Now trying to work out if she was living with anyone. The woman has given me grief everytime I have ever looked for her - birth, marriage etc. It should be no surprise she isn't straight forward now.

JBee
19-03-16, 15:26
Have you tried the children's dob with first name but no surname.

James18
20-03-16, 20:11
Are they still updating the 1939 register at regular intervals?

kiterunner
20-03-16, 21:45
Yes.

Kit
23-03-16, 01:13
Have you tried the children's dob with first name but no surname.

The children were adults and married by the time of the 1939 census. I've found those still alive. I'm now search for the grandchildren of the son that had died. They would also have been adults but they are a chance.

Kit
28-03-16, 06:38
My Grandma would have turned 100 today. I guess I was expecting too much to have seen her on the register today.

kiterunner
28-03-16, 09:48
It's a bank holiday in the UK today, Toni.

Kit
29-03-16, 01:09
I figured you would have a holiday Kite. Same as we did.

I was just hoping it would be automated.

How long do you think it would take to open the record?

I do have her death cert but haven't bothered sending it in.

kiterunner
29-03-16, 07:11
No idea, sorry.