PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Nicholson Register

ElizabethHerts
12-03-16, 07:58
Thomas Nicholson Register was born at Fincham, Norfolk, England and baptised there on 23rd August 1814.

In 1851 he was living at Wisbech, Cambridgeshire with his wife Eve and family. He was a farmer of 8 acres.

Did he emigrate to Australia? Somone's tree has him dying there in 1853.

Merry
12-03-16, 08:07
I don't know when civil reg started in Victoria, Australia but the website helpfully says:

Work in progress

Access to online transactions is unavailable while necessary maintenance/improvements are completed. We apologise for any inconvenience.

I don't have any world subs so can't check elsewhere.

ElizabethHerts
12-03-16, 08:43
I don't know when civil reg started in Victoria, Australia but the website helpfully says:

Work in progress

Access to online transactions is unavailable while necessary maintenance/improvements are completed. We apologise for any inconvenience.

:) Thanks, Merry. I've got a diversion now as two certificates have arrived, so I'll be investigating those.

Shona
12-03-16, 10:14
Looks like he did. I was distracted by another Thomas Register/Regester in Holme Hale, but that isn't him.

I noted that on the 1851 census (Little Church Street), Edward and Eva's children had the surname Addison. The children were Elizabeth Addison, 15, Amelia Addion, 11, Edmund Addison, 7 and Richard Addison, 2. Edward was also a temperance house keeper. I found who I think is him in Slater's directory in 1850 living in Little Church Street, Wisbech, but he was listed as a tailor.

On Ancestry, there is a death registration for Edward Register, age 64, in Hotham, Victoria, in 1907. Parents, Eva and Thomas. Eva Register died in Victoria aged 73 in 1883. These are index-only records - no images.

Then I found a registration for Thomas. He died in Victoria at the age of 30 in 1853.

Def the correct family as there is a death of a Thomas Edward Register in 1946 in Victoria. Father Edward Addison Register and mother is Sarah Ann.

An Amelia Trapenberg died in Victoria in 1927 at the age of 88. Father: Edward Register and mother is Eva Ann. The Richard on the 1851 census died in 1898 in Victoria. Parents: Thos and Eva.

EDIT: Thomas Register was in Wisbech in 1852. There is a newspaper report of someone stealing loaves of bread from him.

JBee
12-03-16, 10:14
Have you not found him in the 1861 census? or a death for him in the UK.

Someone's ancestry (right tree) had my bf dying in the US aged 6??!!! To my knowledge he never left the British Isles lol.

kiterunner
12-03-16, 10:15
Ancestry's Australian Death Index has a Thomas Register dying in Victoria in 1853, age 30.

Edit - I see Shona already found this!

JBee
12-03-16, 10:16
Well done Shona and Kite

ElizabethHerts
12-03-16, 10:43
Thanks, Shona and Kate. Great work!

My main interest is Thomas Nicholson Register's nephew, William Cozen's, who is with him on the 1851 Register. Thomas' sister was Susanna Register who married Samuel Cozens. They seem to flit between Norfolk and Cambridgeshire.