PDA

View Full Version : Alexander McNeill

Shona
07-03-16, 15:37
Alexander McNeill was the son of Rebecca Blue (baptised in 1801). I have posted a number of previous threads about the Blue family of the isle of Colonsay in Argyll, Scotland.

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16240&page=2&highlight=colonsay

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16227&highlight=alexander+blue

Rebecca Blue was the mother of the following children, identified from census records, marriage records and death records. However, there are no baptism records for any of the children and there is no evidence Rebecca married. When Rebecca died in 1859, she was recorded as single. The informant was Edward (Iver, below) who was recorded as her illegitimate son. Rebecca was buried on the neighbouring island of Oronsay (it's accessible at low tide).

- Mary McNeill, born c1822
- Alexander McNeill, born c1823
- Ann McNeill, born c1827
- Catherine Blue, born c1833
- Neil McPhyden, born c1835
- Iver Blue, born c1838
- Duncan McPhyden, c1841

Turning to Rebecca's son, Alexander McNeill. When he married for a second time in Greenock, he named his father as Alexander McNeill, captain in the army (dec) and his mother as Rebecca Blue (dec). On his death record, his father is named as Alexander McNeill, but with no occupation.

When Alexander's sister, Ann McNeill married, she named her father as Alexander McNeill, but there is no occupation. When Alexander McNeill's sister Mary died, her father was named as ....... McNeill, farmer.

Which version do I go for? Alexander McNeill, the farmer, or Alexander McNeill, the army captain? Or could the captain have also been a farmer?

Much to my surprise, there was a Captain Alexander McNeill who was born on Colonsay. He was born on the island in about 1790. He married Ann Carstairs in 1830 and they had the following children:

- John Carstairs McNeil, b c1831
- Cecil Annie McNeill, b c1832
- Alexander McNeill, c1834
- Duncan McNeill, b c1836
- Helen McNeill, b c1838
- Malcolm MacNeil, b c1839
- Hester Mary McNeill, b c 1844

How likely is it that my illiterate ancestor, Rebecca, was having kiddies with this captain, who was the son of the laird whose family were minor gentry? Or did the younger Alexander simply big up his parentage when he married to make himself look a wee bit more respectable?

I note that Rebecca's McNeill children were born before 1830. The captain married in 1830. Rebecca's subsequent children have different surnames.

Cpt Alexander McNeill, his wife and two of his daughters drowned on 18 June 1850 when the SS Orion sunk off at Portpatrick, Galloway. They were buried on the island of Gigha.

Any thoughts?

Phoenix
07-03-16, 16:13
Cpt Alexander McNeill certainly looks like the father of the first three.

Do you have info on the McPhydens? Could their father have been a farmer?

Alexander b 1823 is likely to have known very well who his father was.
Mary equally so, though she may have preferred to be vague at her marriage.

It was probably the next generation down who recorded Mary and Alexander's deaths. They may well have guessed grandfather's occupation

kiterunner
07-03-16, 16:40
Scotland's People has the will of Captain Alexander MacNeill, residing at Ardlussa, date 24 Dec 1852, 5 pages, if that's any help.

Shona
07-03-16, 16:45
I'll take a look at that will. Thanks. I'm intruiged that Rebecca was buried in the graveyard beside Oronsay priory on the neighbouring island to Colonsay. As a pauper, this was unusual. She should have been buried in one of the old burying grounds on Colonsay.

EDIT: Read a note that Oronsay was the burying ground of the chiefs and lairds of Oronsay and Colonsay and that people buried there had to have a connection with the said chiefs or lairds. Mind you, everyone seems to be connected to everyone else on the island in some way!

Shona
07-03-16, 16:49
Cpt Alexander McNeill certainly looks like the father of the first three.

Do you have info on the McPhydens?

Yes.
1901 Death of Neil McFadyen
'Illegitimate fisherman...Duncan McFadyen reputed father, ploughman, dec.'

1907 Death of Duncan McFadyen
Father: Duncan McFadyen, ploughman (dec).

Shona
08-03-16, 11:01
Scotland's People has the will of Captain Alexander MacNeill, residing at Ardlussa, date 24 Dec 1852, 5 pages, if that's any help.

Had a look on SP. It seems Alexander didn't leave a will. The SP record is an inventory - mostly rents owing to him from his lands on the isle of Gigha. Captain Alexander's brother, John Carstairs McNeill, got the lot.

kiterunner
08-03-16, 12:35
That's a shame.