PDA

View Full Version : Where did William Lacey Browne come from?

Heather P T
28-02-16, 10:04
Sorry to be using your brains again people :) Looking for my dear cousin who has traced his line to a William Lacy Browne born c1813. Married 8.1.1841 aged 28 to an Isabella Hill in India. He was in army there.

He also appears on various military documents as plain William Brown :(

He is a Colour Sergeant William Lacey Browne as father of bride Alice Louise to John Terry.

There is a son also appearing family search plus a few other daughters which Ive just turfed up born earlier in marriage.
William Lacy Browne
mentioned in the record of George Clement Browne
Name William Lacy Browne
Gender Male
Wife Isabella
Son George Clement Browne
Name George Clement Browne
Gender Male
Christening Date 10 Mar 1867
Christening Place India
Birth Date 24 Nov 1866
Birthplace Jullundur Bengal India
Father's Name William Lacy Browne
Mother's Name Isabella

Both kids seem to have been born a long time after the marriage?

If anyone can throw light on where William Brown/ William Lac(e)y Browne came from and also Isabella Hill, be very grateful. Possibly he was also born INdia if his dad was in military? Cousin has quite a lot of military stuff but never mentions the parents of William.

Thanks guys - if anyone could point us in the right direction.

kiterunner
28-02-16, 11:11
Isabella was 16 on the marriage, so not surprising that she would still be having children 25 years later. William is just William Brown on the marriage record, age 28, a Fife Major in the "68 Regt NI" if I am reading it correctly.
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=bl%2fbind%2f005137013%2f00275&parentid=bl%2fbind%2fm%2f37965%2f2&highlights=%22%22

They got married at the Chaplaincy Station or District of Allipore in the Archdeaconry & Diocese of Calcutta. The "parents or next friends" are H Bowser, Head Master, and Mathew Holloran, Quarter Master Sergeant of the 68 Regt NI. One of the witnesses is E Head, Headmistress, and the other is a Mrs C Power.

My 3xg-grandfather seems to have been just plain John Galway when he joined the army but gave himself a middle name while serving in India. Maybe William Brown did the same.

kiterunner
28-02-16, 11:37
I have to go and make dinner now, so I will post up the first few of their children's baptisms that I have found, but it looks as though there are several more. FMP doesn't seem to have a facility to search the India Office Births and Baptisms on parents' names so I was searching on FamilySearch and then putting the names into the FMP search, if anybody else wants to have a go:

Born 2 Nov 1844, bap 26 Jan 1845 at Chunar, Isabella Eleanor Browne, daughter of William and Isabella, abode Mirzapore, Fife Major 68 Regt NI

Born 24 Feb 1848, bap 19 Apr 1848 at Meerut, James Arthur Hill Brown, son of William and Isabella, abode Meerut, father Fife Major 68 BNI

Born 8 Mar 1861, bap 7 Apr 1861 at Umballa, Calcutta, Alice Louise Browne, daughter of William and Isabella, abode Umballa, Victualling Serjeant.

Born 18 Oct 1862, bap 16 Nov 1862 at Umballa, Calcutta, Cecilia Emma Browne, daughter of William and Isabella, abode Umballa, Sub-Conductor Army Commissarial

Heather P T
28-02-16, 11:46
Oh Kite, thats so kind of you. The regiment doesnt show on familysearch for the baps so tht will be so helpful. xxx The link wont allow me to see the document but Im sure you would have got it right x

So that looks like he may be from Northern Ireland? OR is the NI Native infantry I wonder...........

Mary from Italy
28-02-16, 12:24
BNI is Bengal Native Infantry.

kiterunner
28-02-16, 13:32
And these are the rest:

Born 20 Jun 1849, bap 19 Sep 1849 at Meerut, Charles Alfred Browne, son of William & Isabella, abode Meerut, Quarter Master Sergt 68th Native Infantry

Born 17 Jan 1855, bap 25 Feb 1855 at Barrackpore, Calcutta, Phoebe Jane Browne, daughter of William and Isabella, abode Prome(?), Bazar Serjeant

Born 14 Aug 1858, bap 26 Sep 1858 at Rawal Pindee, Punjab, William Augustus Browne, son of William & Isabella, abode Rawal Pindee, Bazar Sergt

Born 24 Nov 1866, bap 10 Jan 1867 at Jullundur, George Clement Browne, son of William Lacy & Isabella, abode Jullundur, Sub Conductor, Army Commissariat Department

kiterunner
28-02-16, 13:45
There is an Isabella Hill born 3 Aug 1824 and baptised 8 Oct 1828 at Meerut, parents Usher, late Staff Sergt at Meerut, and Nancy. Quite likely to be the same Isabella but it would help if some of the Brownes' children were named Usher and Nancy! Usher Hill married Nancy Parker 13 Sep 1820 at Calcutta and he was buried 19 Jul 1827 at Meerut, age 28. One of their other daughters was named Phoebe so at least that fits with William and Isabella.

I can't see William's army records on FMP at the moment but I'm not sure what to put in the search fields. Will have another go later if nobody else has found them in the meantime.

Heather P T
28-02-16, 15:28
Many thanks kite, very kind of you x I think my cousin has all the available army records none of which show dads name:(

Heather P T
28-02-16, 15:43
WOw just found a memorial to the grandaughter - Isabella Browne following a mutiny in India

kiterunner
28-02-16, 16:37
I had a look for Mathew Holloran's army records on FMP to see what it said for Regiment but I couldn't find him, so maybe William's records aren't on there either.

Heather P T
28-02-16, 17:02
So kind of you, very grateful indeed for your help. Holloran being an irish name, not likely to be a lead I guess

Heather P T
28-02-16, 17:35
Kite - sent cousin that baptism for a possible Isabella and he has suddenly remembered that Parker is a name used as a middle name in the family :) Thanks so much xxx