PDA

View Full Version : George Henry Rowbotham - death?

Anstey Nomad
26-02-16, 11:29
Laying aside the Bodycotes for a while, I spent a lovely afternoon on Saturday with a second cousin on the Rowbotham who lives about half an hour away from me. This was a big deal for me because it was only the second time I had met someone from my Dad’s side of the family.

She mentioned in passing that for their first holiday after the war they went to Millom in Cumberland and she was sure the people they stayed with were relatives, but of she had no idea how they fitted into the family. At this point I was unaware of any family connection with Cumberland, but as soon as I got home I started looking, as you do.

I’ve now got to this point. George Henry Rowbotham was born in Caythorpe, Lincolnshire, at the end of 1869, beginning of 1870. His father was Henry, the younger brother of our great grandfather Joseph.

George is at home in Bracebridge in Lincolnshire in 1881, but he pops up in 1891 in Warton with Lindeth in Lancashire, living with his sister Mary Jane and her husband Edward Morris. By 1901 he has married a local girl, Mary Ellen Dawson, and their only child Henrietta is seven years old. They are living in Millom. They are still there in 1911.

I’ve tracked Henrietta forward to a living descendant. I think I have a death for Mary Ellen in Lancaster district in December 1926, but I can’t find a death for George anywhere. He is not to be confused with George Harry Rowbotham of Bucklow in Cheshire, who was a similar age and whose death is clearly documented.

Has George found the secret to eternal life?

Phoenix
26-02-16, 12:16
A George H dies in Carlisle RD aged 85 in March 1956 qtr.

Phoenix
26-02-16, 12:19
Born 12 Feb 1870, living with a paid housekeeper at 15 Bank End Millom in 1939.

Anstey Nomad
26-02-16, 13:50
Lovely - that's him. He was at 15 Bank End in 1911. I never thought to look at the 1939 Register.

No eternal life then. Dang!