ElizabethHerts
13-12-09, 11:04
He seems to have gone awol!:d

Born Dec qr 1888 Croydon

1891 Census
RG12; Piece 588; Folio 146; Page 24
67 Parsons Mead West Croydon

I can't find him after that.

This family is interesting as his father Edward Newton died in 1896 in Wandsworth, leaving a widow and four sons. The youngest was 5 or 6. However, wife Annie Alice marries again very quickly - in Jun qr 1896 London City to Edward Frederick Garland. They are together on the 1901 census in Harlow. She now has two more children, Percy and Viola, but her four sons are not with her.
RG13; 1642; 44; 2

In fact, her sister-in-law Isabella Susanna Newton (spinster) has two of them with her - William E and John J.
RG13; 461; 62; 23

In 1911 Isabella is still with William and his wife of 6 years Rose.

I can't find Frank at all.

ElizabethHerts
13-12-09, 11:08
BTW, Annie's story gets more interesting - Edward Garland divorced her on the grounds of adultery naming H. Elliot. Annie married Henry Elliot in 1908.

I saw the divorce papers at the National Archives. She seems to have up and left 6 children throughout her life. Poor kids.

ElizabethHerts
13-12-09, 11:12
Ooh, I think I have found Frank and his brother Bertie at boarding school in 1901 - both using the surname Garland.

RG number: RG13 Piece: 1669 Folio: 144 Page: 13

However, Bertie Edgar Newton was killed in WWI and he was using the name Newton then.

marquette
13-12-09, 20:44
We have had a number of children at our school, who were using their stepfathers name while at school and reverted to their own name once they were adults. If the Garlands were paying the fees and visiting the boys, it was probably easier for them to be known as Garland at school.

Chrissie Smiff
15-12-09, 16:39
There are two possible deaths Elizabeth, though the Newton one looks the most likely. He has the birth year correct but he would have had to move some distance. There is no other birth for a Frank A Newton coming up though from 1887 to 1889, so it could easily be him -

Frank Arthur Newton 1888 1975 Preston & South Ribble Lancashire Ref 40 2001

Also, this is less likely because there is a suitable birth for Frank Arthur Garland -
Frank Arthur Garland 1889 1969 Dover Kent

Phoenix
15-12-09, 17:16
A Frank Newton, born Croydon, aged 23 is working as a barman in the Palmerstone Hotel, Boscombe in 1911. Single, no children!

ElizabethHerts
15-12-09, 17:39
Thanks for everyone's help so far. I will definitely investigate your suggestions asap.

Sorry I haven't been on much - my new computer was delivered yesterday. The old one just wasn't reliable enough any more for my work. So I have spent the last two days getting new computer set up and coming to grips with Windows 7! Especially as I have to solve the compatibility issue between my old documents done with Word 2003 and the Word 2007 version! Also, my printer will now work (after OH phoned John Lewis) but the scanner still doesn't like the new set-up! However, when the teething problems are sorted I'm sure the new system will be a lot better. Windows 7 is fun!

I also have to work out how to open my family tree on PAF! I transferred everything via the Easy Transfer system, made a lot easier as my brother-in-law persuaded me to by a dual (mirror) drive last summer. So I didn't need to do anything with my documents. However, I think I might need to do another download for PAF!

Merry
15-12-09, 20:19
A Frank Newton, born Croydon, aged 23 is working as a barman in the Palmerstone Hotel, Boscombe in 1911. Single, no children!

The Palmerston Hotel was recently renamed The Ragged Cat, which is what it was called in the 1850's I believe. Until recently it was called Deacons and was in the local news a year or so back because it was closed for a while following a drugs raid. I'm sure it would have been a much more salubrious place in the Edwardian era!!

Uncle John
15-12-09, 20:24
Especially as I have to solve the compatibility issue between my old documents done with Word 2003 and the Word 2007 version!

I've solved that by always selecting the Word 98-2003 option when saving.