PDA

View Full Version : Marriage name confirmation

geniebug
17-02-16, 05:28
I was wondering if anyone with ancestry could check and send all information (and copy of marriage cert if there is one) of

William Charles Burgess b 5 Mar 1852, Charlton Kings, Glos

married 9 Sept 1875 Church of St James, Glos,

to Ellen Utina Evans born 17 Feb 1855 Barton St Mary, Glos.

I don't need any later information, its just that we believe Ellen's correct name to be ELLEN UTANAYA HEAVEN (her mother was Ann Elizabeth Cook and father James Heaven!!!! So obviously a mistake was made.

The family came to Australia (where I am). His father Charles Burgess was well known in Charlton Kings, being a nurseryman in London Road.

I don't know where I got the information re the marriage in the first place. Would anyone live close enough to Church of St James if it was necessary to see the church register? We actually visited the family, but it was not Church of St James. I did photograph some information at the time.

Merry
17-02-16, 07:09
Her name in the GRO index (on FreeBMD) is Ellen Utamaga Heaven, so I don't know why it would be Evans on the certificate? Her birth reg has the middle name spelled Utina. I've just looked at the parish register entry on Ancestry and she has signed with the same spelling as the GRO index.

Where did you get the idea she had married as Evans?

Shona
17-02-16, 07:21
If you drop the 'h' of Heaven, the name would sound like Eaven. Not a big stretch to get to Evans from Eaven.

Merry
17-02-16, 07:39
Yes, but it isn't written as Evans anywhere I can see, so I wondered why anyone thought it was?

geniebug
17-02-16, 08:16
There are Evans in the family but not connected with Ellen Heaven. Her father is definitely James Heaven.

The name Utina, & Utamaga (that last spelling is new to me)! We knew her as Ellen Utanaya.

My notes say Ellen Utina was born 17 Feb. 1855, Faulkiner Street, Barton St. Mary in the Sub-district of South Hamlet, County of Gloucester. Her father James Heaven was a Wheelwright and journeyman. Cert No. ?98.

She does use the Utanaya spelling later in life.

Perhaps there is a record in the church - are they on line? (Church of St James, Glos)

Merry
17-02-16, 08:20
It was the parish register image I was looking at on Ancestry.

geniebug
17-02-16, 08:32
Ok thanks Merry. I'll scrub the notes then relating to Evans, I've no idea where that came from. Is it possible to cut & paste the parish register entry for my records?

Thanks both of you - I guess that part isn't really important, as we do know her real parents. When she gets out to Australia, her husband dies, she "apparently" marries a younger guy who's marriage can't be found - no record of his death, then she suddenly appears as an Ellen Utanaya Graham, and no-one can find him marrying or dying. ( I think she had a boarder she was fond of later on before he died !!! ) She's led us a merry old dance. I don't expect you to find the Australian side, its been done and dusted, and the records just aren't there. Obviously she "took" surnames when she lived with them lol